Author Topic: rebuild diary  (Read 26168 times)

Offline willieworld

Re: rebuild diary
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 01:24:24 AM »
Day 6..........

It's all done except for bleeding the brakes, rechecking nuts and bolts and fluids. Got to align the sidecar and finish putting on the numbers. We are ready to gooooooooo.

Will be at El Mirage for the first race on Thursday morn.

Hope to see ya all there.
Here's the pics
Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 01:26:02 AM »
a couple of more pics
Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 01:53:47 PM »
a couple more things of intrest --i replaced every nut bolt and washer on the bike --the bike was at bonneville 2 times in 07 and the salt took a toll --the worst damage was on the gold cad hardware next was the silver cad hardware all of the powder coating and chrome and even the polished aluminum held up the best --the paint held up good except where it got a chip --i had a hard time getting the nuts off the bolts if there were threads sticking out so this year i cut all of the bolts off flush with the nuts and covered the ends of the bolt and the nut with clear fingernail polish i think that will help next year in disassembly  just some thoughts  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 03:05:29 PM »
Willie

That's why they call it Wendover Loc-Tite. One of the club members a few years ago waited to long after washing off his lakester and the front spindles were froze to the king pins and bosses. Clean up is the hardest part of running the salt. It has to be done as soon as you get home.  :-o  Tell Shari hello and have fun next week end at the lakes.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 09:49:49 AM »
Damn nice Willie!!! Good luck at Elmo!
Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

bak189

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2008, 10:23:45 AM »
If you race on the salt......spray everyhing with
Kalgard 30/30.......works great........when you get home use Kalgard engine cleaner and Salt-X.....
Paint anything that is Cad plated with clear.......
Keeps the damage to a minumim...........................

Offline willieworld

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 12:47:48 PM »
we are home--and i guess i should write a final chapter to this rebuild ---first though i want to say how great it was to see all our friends at el mirage and as always we made some new ones and we meet some of our landracing.com friends in person and to be honest most didnt look like the picture in my head and im sure i didnt either --anyway after doing a shakedown run on sat morning i ran a wfo pass in the afternoon and raised the 1000 cc  sc-pg  record from 124.942  to 132.280  and sheries 500 cc sc-pf after a couple of shakedown runs ran 106.173 on a 107 record  we  couldnt be happier  --nice seeing you all hope to see you all next month willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 01:47:44 PM »
we are home--and i guess i should write a final chapter to this rebuild ---......... willie buchta

I would say this was just the next chapter.  Good run Willie and good game plan,

Sum

Offline kontinental

• New folks
    • Les triplettes de Bonneville
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 07:13:43 AM »
Hi Willie,

My name is Frank, I'm from France. We've been in contact at the end of 2007,
when you gently replied (and other racers too) to some questions I had posted regarding sidecar rules changes.
Those rules changes didn't see the light of day. :roll:
I've been planning to write you for a while, in order to congratulate you regarding your new sidecar building process and superb pics we've seen on your diary. We've been heavily busy with our own Speed Week sidecar entry, and I wasn't able to write you before now.
We are currently working on our SC-VG 50cc Motobecane entry, please visit our site at  :-) www.lestriplettesdebonneville.com. :-)
You will see we've tried to keep as close to the "Vintage spirit" as possible, so we've extensively used period spare parts, wire wheels instead of alloy ones, ...
Our SC-VG race number is 499 (like 49,9 cc administrative class for French mopeds). We will also race under 4990 number in SC-VF, where my teammate Yann will drive the sidecar.
We've recently conducted some tests on a French airport, both in sidecar and motorcycle forms.
We plan to remove the sidecar outfit and race in motorcycle class with another "class change". You know what, the 3rd and 4th teammates Gilles and Jean don't want to leave Bonneville without racing...
When I look at your pics, your work is far less pro than our own one,
but I'm surprised to see how the 12X32 inches SCTA plate can give the a somewhere "similar" visual result,
attached both to a huge HD or a tiny Motobecane !!

We are really willing to put our feet and wheels on the Salt, and to meet all those racers and racing vehicules !!
Regards,
Frank.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 07:16:15 AM by kontinental »
...ça va bien se passer... http://www.lestriplettesdebonneville.com

bak189

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 12:07:55 PM »
Frank, your sidecar looks great...............the 12x32
sidecar platform is also part of the rules for
the BUB AMA/FIM rules................as I have noted in the past the rule however, does not state that the platform has to be "solid"......we have used expanded metal.....cuts down air-drag...............
Good luck at Speedweek..........................................

Offline hitz

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 12:31:12 PM »
Bak,

Interested in the statement, "--- expanded metal---cuts down on air drag. I'm new to "aero" so lots of things don't make sense to me. How did you come to that conclusion? I'm sure I've made alot of mistakes on my lakester , especially "aero" because I haven't asked questions enough. This is flattened expanded metal, I presume?

Thanks for your input

Harvey

Offline willieworld

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 01:01:14 PM »
frank  very nice   love the wheel covers   the scta changed a couple of rules but nothing that will effect you  ---i saw your entry for bonneville at   www.scta-bni.org   i will see you at bonneville  willie buchta  9B
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

bak189

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2008, 02:46:58 PM »
Regarding, using flat expanded metal for the sidecar 12x32 platform...............we found in racing our smaller displacement  (350c.c. and smaller)
sidecars at BNI (where no ballast is required)
the "solid" platform effected the handling by
 "lifting" the sidecar..........using expanded metal corrected this problem...............on the larger displacement outfits there must be enough weight.........so the "normal" platform works just fine...................................................................................
P.S. On Johns awsome 216mph outfit the platform
is high off the ground this somewhat prevents the chair lifting.......plus he may be using some ballast in the chair......................................................
Or he may be "flying" the chair wheel.........only John knows for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Sam Green

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2008, 02:48:05 PM »
Looking real good Willie, it'll be a shame to get it covered in salt :-(

Go Willie go.

Sam. :wink:
175cc Woodbridge Mile record holder 118.3mph

Offline willieworld

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2008, 03:22:17 PM »
two more races in the dirt before bonneville -- i dont think john or anyone else who runs a sidecar would fly the chair not a safe thing to do      willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta