Author Topic: rebuild diary  (Read 26173 times)

Offline willieworld

rebuild diary
« on: March 20, 2008, 08:16:55 PM »
I ran the bike the whole year without any problems. The motor is pretty much stock except some very minor head work. It has a horrible cd of .8 and the frontal area is 7.3 sq. ft. The engine makes 112 rear wheel hp. and my best run was 141 and some change. My intentions are to make the bike a little more aerodynamic. When I built the bike I made the frame too wide and my knees stick out in the wind. I'm going to cut the top of the frame out and redo it and I'm going to change all of the wheels and go from a 21" on the sidecar and the front of the bike to 17"s. I am going to switch from a wire wheel to a mag. My front wheel with the tire weighs 18 lbs. The new front wheel with the tire weighs 8 lbs. So I should be able to get rid of 30 lbs of rotating mass by changing out all the rims and tires.I should be able to get rid of enough frontal area to pick up my speed by 10 mph. I am going to build a new sidecar not for aero but because of the change in the wheel height. That's the plan.Here's a couple of pics of the bike stripped down and the top of the frame cut out.

Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

bak189

Re: rebuild diary
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 09:09:39 PM »
Willie, I don't know what your sidecar track is at the present time.....but since you are not using a passenger keep the track narrow.....less drag...
The rules are minimum of 32 inches measured from center of rear bike tire to center of sidecar tire.......I would try to get it close to 32 inches.....
Also on your 12x32 platform use expanded metal
...less air drag...and also less air-lift under the chair.........B.B.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 12:40:32 AM »
hey bob how you doing --im at 32 in already on the track and i paid big money for the polished diamond plate --if i can get my knees tucked in and change wheels i can get rid of 1.4 sq.ft of frontel area --i think im about at an end with this bike  i mean i could spend money on the motor but i think the money would be better spent on a new bike  i just need to find the time to build it-- im thinking of some streamlining  this time  take care and nice to hear from you   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 12:43:06 AM »
Just finished Sheri's bike got to get on mine. Supposed to have it to the paint guy Tuesday get it back Thursday and I'll have about 14 days to get it back together again. Put it back together wire it and plum it and we head out to El Mirage. Took a couple of pics.

Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 01:06:12 AM »
Well here it is May 1st. All the welding is done the frame modifications are made everything is sand blasted and going to the painter in the morning. The painter Albert Edwards from Sonora says that he will have the frame and the sidecar painted and back to me by Saturday night. So I can start putting the bike back together Sunday morning.Hopefully I'll have it back together and running before the first El Mirage meet May 17th. As soon as I start reassembly I will post the progress daily. Here are some pics that we took today.

Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 01:45:30 PM »
Willie,
I know it is expensive but have you thought of using aero tubing for your side car struts?  Is it legal?? Also when you do the floor in the side car make it fit between the two lower round tubes that go to the outrigger wheel and trail some material off of the rear tube. What I am talking about is to make the floor from thin steel sheet and weld it to the vertical center line of these two tubes. This will make the a big difference in the drag coefficient for these tubes. With limited hps ever little bit on the aero side helps.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 02:06:57 PM »
rex  yes until i priced it 14 dollars a foot --i know i could have made it more aero and i will later with some streamline covers that i will form myself --if i was smart i would have built a streamliner but then i would had to have 4000 dollars of safety equipment that i dont need on a motorcycle --i think i have 3200 dollars in my whole rig--i finished sheris bike and we kept track of every dollar --her bike is also on this site and we will post a list of all moneys spent may be later tonight    thanks willie buchta      yes its legal
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 09:35:38 PM »
I got the frame back from the painter and worked on it today and this is how far I got. Got the motor mounted, the front end on, the sidecar wheelcover finished. Here are some pics.
Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 01:23:54 AM »
second day got the sidecar platform cover mounted. got the wheel cover mounted. got the frontend all cleaned up and spacers made for front axle and mounted speedometer drive. finished a frame I was building.

willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 10:24:57 PM »
day 3...Got the rest of the paint back around 10 this morning. Mounted the oil tank, rear fender, handlebars, ran all the oil lines and got a start on the wiring. Here's some pics.
Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 11:25:39 PM »
Day 4...
Finished up all the wiring, mounted chainguard, coil, carb and manifold. Here are some pics..

Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 11:27:05 PM »
a couple of more pics

Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 12:23:25 AM »
Day 5...
She's down on the ground almost done. I have to mount the gas tanks and the brake line. Bleed the brakes. I have to drill some holes and upholster the seat and hang the exhaust pipes and line up all the wheels. Then we will be ready to go racing. Here are some pics.

Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 12:27:23 AM »
a couple of more pics...
Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 12:38:28 AM »
Really nice looking.  Can't wait to see the finished rebuild.