Author Topic: productio exhaust  (Read 5465 times)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
productio exhaust
« on: March 20, 2008, 04:19:49 PM »
This question is for Dan Warner. I am building a 1350 p/p bike. If I build a head pipe that looks like the factory pipe but has larger primary pipes and the x part is larger will it pass impound certification?

FRED
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

racin jason

Re: productio exhaust
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 04:52:11 PM »
I would think one of the bike inspectors would be the one to answer your question. Dan is a car guy. Russ O'Daly is the head bike guy.

From my memory the bike must be externally identical to the production model. if the production model has 1" primary pipes and you show up with 1.5" pipes someone will probably protest it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 04:59:15 PM by racin jason »

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 05:24:45 PM »
I would think one of the bike inspectors would be the one to answer your question. Dan is a car guy. Russ O'Daly is the head bike guy.

From my memory the bike must be externally identical to the production model. if the production model has 1" primary pipes and you show up with 1.5" pipes someone will probably protest it.

Usually the current record holder or another competitor in the same class... :wink:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 05:51:36 PM »
good memory Jason, the bike must appear factory stock including intake airbox and exhaust.  The exhaust system shall appear unmodified... including exhaust exit diameter.  Run modified and you can run any exhaust you please...  :-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 05:53:22 PM »
Thats kind of what I thought. For what it would cost to have a head pipe that looked stock I can probably put that money somewhere else and get more bang for the buck.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

racin jason

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 05:57:03 PM »
or run production first and then change classes to modified and run pipes and all the other good stuff.

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 07:57:23 AM »
Not Dan Warner(by a longshot!), but...
The way I understand the Production rule, is that it only limit's the exhaust "outlet" diameter(as well as any visual part of the system of course). Should the header you build be a covered or "out of sight" part of the system, and the visual part of the exhaust remain IDentical(as well os ODentical  :wink:) as the OEM produced, then a pipe with a larger(hidden) set of primaries would be legal imo. <---just an opinion by the way.
Todd

dwarner

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 11:04:10 AM »
Not Dan Warner(by a longshot!),

Hey, wait a minute!!!

DW

racin jason

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 11:39:16 AM »
Todd,
I think the busa primary pipes are visible from the side vent so if they must appear stock.
on another note production racers used to be allowed to bore out carbs. now tech measures the id and compares with the manufactures  specs.
At the last race I was at, tech asked for removal of an airbox to check for nitrous on a production bike. :-o The production class represents a small number of entrants but results in the largest number of complaints, protests and bad feelings between competitors.
Any guess as to which bike class will be eliminated next???

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 12:51:50 AM »
The production class represents a small number of entrants but results in the largest number of complaints, protests and bad feelings between competitors.
Any guess as to which bike class will be eliminated next???

Jason, as we all know, there are no production bikes holding records at Bonneville, they are all modified, often within the bounds of the rule book, sometimes not.  Maybe we should compile those to Modified Production...  :?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

racin jason

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 01:29:07 AM »
maybe we should change production to "production" in the book :-)

Offline gazza414

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 06:36:52 PM »
I was quite surprised when Joe Amo ran my Hayabusa at Lake Gairdner in 2006 for a FIM production record. The FIM asked if I was going to remove the stock mufflers??? they said that FIM allows mufflers to be removed for all production classes...ummmm.
I left the mufflers on, and later ran the bike in the DLRA meet....when DLRA rules are stock appearance like you guys.... anyway

They ( FIM ) had the airbox off , checked for NOS  ,( as some other naughty folks had cheated in the past they said ,with that little booster ) measured bore and stroke. It was a 1299cc motor ( they said it could be modified to 1350cc  with a 2mm crank or the 82.55mm pistons that JE make ) Then they sealed the motor....and checked it again when Joe finished his  opposite direction return run. I believe they checked ride height too..std rear links and no fork lowering.

So as you say Jason , alot of these production records are  :roll:...depends on the governing body and how far the builder is prepared to build to the rules.

Pic of Joe and bike....has mirrors removed, still has rear footpegs, indicators, licence plate etc

« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 06:39:41 PM by gazza414 »
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice