Author Topic: New procedures regarding vehicles going out the back door at El Mirage  (Read 12507 times)

dwarner

Re: New procedures regarding vehicles going out the back door at El Mirage
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2008, 03:15:56 PM »
If you put the finish line ballons on the ground instead of the air they will not be flying somewhere else when the wind comes up. Maybe use two ballons on each side next to the sign boards and lights, just a few fet from the TWO story trailer.

DW

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2008, 03:38:40 PM »
Well after being there the obvious solution to me is run the course the other direction.  I'll bet they wouldn't go out the back door more than once in that direction and George (is that his name?) might have some more parts to add to his collection at his house  :evil:.

c ya in Nov. at El M.,

Sum

John Romero

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2008, 03:43:59 PM »
Well after being there the obvious solution to me is run the course the other direction.  I'll bet they wouldn't go out the back door more than once in that direction and George (is that his name?) might have some more parts to add to his collection at his house  :evil:.

c ya in Nov. at El M.,

Sum

George seems to be able to add to his collection every meet, regardless of course direction. Thats the reason he keeps that big forklift around. He thinks that after each crash that if he is the first one there then he gets the salvage rights to the wreck. Somebody needs to remind him that if the lake is dry then marine salvage rules don't apply.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2008, 04:05:51 PM »
H. Shut Down Requirements After Run
All drivers MUST be off the power immediately after passing through the timing lights. Balloons
and multiple cones indicate the end of the powered course. Drivers who stay under power past
the timing lights are subject to having their timing slip withheld, at the discretion of the Chief
Timer.

looks like this would be a good place to start --i know it wont solve all the mechanical problems but it might solve the "wasnt paying attention" ones      willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2008, 05:06:47 PM »
The problem is not what to do for normal runs.  I mean dragsters come down from 330mph in 1/4 mile (with something like a 6g hit when the chute(s) hit).  So cars can be stopped if things work.

The question is what to do when things, or brains, or egos don't work.  It might be interesting to see about the magnitude of the problem, at least as it pertains to speed.  Fer instance what's the slowest car to have ever gone out?  Could it be that regs need to be put into place for vehicle mods only for cars traveling over that speed?  Just asking.

Frankly I kind of like running back towards George's.  Kind of does away with Elmo HP on those windy days, but if somebody did go "out" we'd only kill a few pucker bushes and bend up the car pretty good.  The bent car would be penalty enough and would eliminate the heartbreak for the board of how hard to come down on an "innocent" offender.  Not to mention no sun in your eyes on those early morning runs.  We could even make a "dog leg" (much like ECTA) up into that piece of the lake just north of the SCTA building road for the folks in real trouble and able to steer.

Just my $.015

Jim
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline mkilger

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2008, 07:11:35 PM »
I would think that more balloons :roll: would help too, say 6 on each side  going  down the couse spaced out  about 2-4 feet apart so it would tell you  you are about to go into the lights and maybe the (outsiders) would see them also. until some one takes them out.  :roll:

racin jason

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2008, 08:06:26 PM »
i would be in favour of putting the catch net on the return road side of the course near the top end to "catch" the dirt bikers who like to cut across the top end of the course on a regular basis. :-).