Author Topic: Electrolytic Rust removal  (Read 2318 times)

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
Electrolytic Rust removal
« on: March 19, 2008, 02:26:12 PM »
Does anyone use this method to clean up parts and pieces? I have been going to try it for the things the salt seems to get to every time year after year.
Doug Odom in big ditch
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Re: Electrolytic Rust removal
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 03:30:42 PM »
My machinist buddy Jim does this all the time.....works great. He claims to have seen an antique tractor frame cleaned in a small above-ground pool,using an arc welder for the current supply with a whole bunch of washing powder dumped in. Guessing you need to keep the kids inside for a week or two.  Jerry :-o
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Cyclone

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 04:20:18 PM »
I'm getting ready to try this, here is a short video demo. http://www.metacafe.com/watch/456478/rust_removal_tip/

John Romero

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 05:31:22 PM »
I tried this on a whim, just to see if it worked and I'll be damned did it ever. I used a small battery charger, a 5 gallon bucket and short rebar rods placed around the outside. Filled it up with water and baking soda (couldn't find any baking powder local) and it worked excellent! I wonder how well it would work if I did it right?

It works best on pieces that are absolute balls of rust. It cant make metal appear when it's already gone but it does make all the rust go away eventually.

Blue

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 02:39:26 AM »
We had terrible rust issues with the Breedlove car left un-preserved in Rio Vista for 10 years.  The inside of the fuel tank was disaster.  We used the POR-15 system of caustic cleaner / muriatic acid-phosphoric prep / sealant.  We had to go back in and make a weld repair later and it took an air chisel to get the stuff off.