Author Topic: New contributor  (Read 2118 times)

Offline jimmy six

New contributor
« on: April 05, 2004, 04:02:00 PM »
I have been in LSR since 1975 and am a "youngster" in the SCTA/BNI at the age of 60 when compared to likes of Glen and others (that's compliment Glen). I've been lucky enough, or by some unlucky enough, to stay with LSR and serve the Association in many positions. Learning from others has it's big advantages especially when you can see one of your own problems handled so easily by another competitor. The ideas I share here are, for the most part, not my own but what I have seen as an inspector for the last 20 years. Many times I have said "why didn't I think of that".
 Looking at today's subjects I saw that John Bjorkman has answered one of the responses. John is a person in LSR that has my highest respect. He has served the SCTA as their Chief Technical Advisor in the past and having him reading the questions and responses will make me feel much better about our forum.
 John was one who felt 1/4 of a Keith Black ought to make a good motorcycle engine, but that's it's own story.  Welcome John, I glad you will looking over us so our comments will keep us in a straight line
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: New contributor
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 04:42:00 PM »
JD, thanks for the kind words. Having starting at Bonneville in 1953 as a course patrol I have seen many things like you. safety has always come first with me as I had a couple of things happen in drag cars in the 50s that got my attention. Bob Fugatt who I drove for a few times over the years made sure it was right or it didn't run. He gave me my 1st run at over 200mph in 1957 driving his rear engine Mod.Roadster. I later drove it at the drags until drafted into the Army.

The early day had a reat impact on how I would spend so many years doing LSR & Drag racing. As Jimmy said we learn a lot from others and some of the simple things we overlook until someone else does it.

I usually spend all day around the inspection area of Friday at speedweek. This is the best school on the salt. If you find something interesting you can go to their pit for more Q & A with the crews.

They put me in a big box out in the middle of  the two courses for the rest of the week and let me have fun timing all of the best racing family in the world.

Lots of Info here and if not they will help you find it. Many experts in a lot of fields of racing. Protect this forum and the many friends you will make here.
 Back to the paint brush!!!
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah