Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2274892 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #810 on: July 13, 2009, 01:53:40 PM »
Snoop around this Forum -- there are a couple of fellas building Buick straight-8s, including Gary Hart that just last weekend hurt his motor -- so might have a few extra minutes to share information with you.  Unfortunately he's very good (right now, at least) on windowing the side of the motor.  Don't ask him to teach you how to do that.  There's also at least one other building a Buick 8.  Your Pontiac ideas are probably something intermixable with their stuff.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline CNC-Dude

« Reply #811 on: July 13, 2009, 02:02:30 PM »
 Thanks SSS, I have seen that some of the earlier inlines, both Flathead style and OHV share similar traits with the Chevy 250/292's im used too, and thats a siamese intake port.  So perhaps some shared info could be gathered by all interested parties on this matter. Im sure there is a lot of crossover technology that can benefit the ones seeking to further develop these engines. This seems like a good forum for seeing the most modern and current concepts for racing.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #812 on: July 13, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »
Come on out to one of the meets at Bonneville, you life will never be the same. :evil: You will catch an incurable disease, its called Salt Fever.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline RichFox

« Reply #813 on: July 13, 2009, 03:33:50 PM »
No one will ever be able to say you took the easy way out if you bring that Pancho to the salt. Looking foward to seeing it.

Offline CNC-Dude

« Reply #814 on: July 13, 2009, 04:15:16 PM »
No one will ever be able to say you took the easy way out if you bring that Pancho to the salt. Looking foward to seeing it.
Thanks Rich, i've always thought very highly of your comments on other forums, and will look to stay focused on the Poncho. Even though it might not be a barnstormer, it should be a lot of fun to try some unique things with it.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #815 on: July 13, 2009, 09:48:24 PM »
Unique describes it pretty well. Maybe you would tell us what made you pick the Pontiac. A less likely starting place is hard to imagine. 268 inch flathead inline motor is giving up a lot. But I believe you when you say it will be interesting.

Offline CNC-Dude

« Reply #816 on: July 13, 2009, 10:48:36 PM »
 Rich, I have always thought to try things with engines that were considered underdogs. Not that I could achieve something as exotic as Ron Main's Flathead Flatfire, but I thought it would be interesting to apply some of those 21st century techniques to the Poncho engine. Maybe like the Vortech supercharger for instance. I have already begun doing some pattern work to create an aluminum head....and just historically, you have never seen much attention on these engines in the way of this type of racing or trick stuff. The Straight 8 Buick is also another favorite of mine, and with the exception of just a small few on here, you just don't see that much being done with them now or in the past compared to the Stovebolts or Jimmy's and other inlines. For many years when we raced the Chevy 292's, we were always looked at as outsiders, even though we dominated most of the Modified Production classes in NHRA, we still were only one of a small handful that chose to run the 6's in a V8 dominated sport. So, I guess that challenge has always stuck with me to try things others would probably just pass on by.

Offline GH

« Reply #817 on: July 14, 2009, 09:31:26 AM »
You've heard this before, "we got it for free", that's how we got into the Buick straight eight thing. It's amazing how much attention this thing gets. We had a cam ground by Donnie Johanson, and it's sounds great, at least, until the engine shot a rod through the block. If you don't want the Salt Fever, don't go to Bonneville, it's an awful sickness............

Offline CNC-Dude

« Reply #818 on: July 14, 2009, 12:01:21 PM »
 Just looking at the SCTA website with all the pics and seeing videos of all the cars and bikes and 'liners is enough to get you hooked!

Offline Papi

« Reply #819 on: July 17, 2009, 12:22:35 AM »
Hi there- Papi here.

I'm new to Land Racing, not new to Motorcycling and Motorsports.
After just receiving the SCTA Rule book, man do I have a gazillion questions still.

First off, I was hoping someone on the forum is a P or M class Motorcycle Guru who can lead this "grown up kid"
in the right direction in regards to scrutineering questions, P Class mods, M Class mods etc.

Since the SCTA Book covers a lot of basics, I have not found any definitive info yet on exactly what you can do in P Class bikes, and Mods.
I will be running in 1600CC class, so if anyone known in these classes wouldn't mind answering a few emails or PM's from me, that would be great.

Oh, one more non-tech question, I am a bit confused about SCTA Membership. One person there said I had to join an SCTA affiliate club to be in SCTA membership. Not sure what that means. I am an AMA Member and compete in District 36, so what does one need to do to be official as far as the SCTA is concerned?

Regards, -Papi
Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #820 on: July 17, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
Papi, welcome always good to see new people here, especially 2 wheelers. :evil: This will be my second year in 1350 production class so I wouldn't begin to call myself a guru, but I would be glad to try and answer your questions. I think it is better to ask questions in the open forum, that way you can get more than one persons opinion. There is no such thing as a stupid question. But if you would prefer to do Pms or email feel free. My email address is in my profile.
By the way if you dont have a rule book, get one, read it five times and then ask questions. :-D
   Fred
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 12:36:57 PM by fredvance »
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #821 on: July 17, 2009, 12:40:06 PM »
Papi -- I sent you a PM, as you've probably seen -- but I'll ask here, too -- are you asking about your bike so you can compete at the Bub's event -- or at an SCTA/BNI event?  The rules are different -- you'll need to build for the place you're going to race.  Once you've decided -- we'll be much better able to head you in the correct direction(s).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Papi

« Reply #822 on: July 17, 2009, 02:01:32 PM »
Fred and Jon, Thank you. PM's and emails sent.   :cheers:
Yes, I have the rule books already for SCTA, BUB, AMA and supplements.
Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #823 on: July 17, 2009, 02:06:15 PM »
To run at the lakes(ElMirage) you can run as a guest one time. No points, or no records. To run for points etc. you must belong to a club. To run at Bonneville you have to be a BNI member. You probably know this by now. Good luck on what every you do. Enjoy LSR. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #824 on: July 17, 2009, 02:30:15 PM »
I got your email forgetmy last one :|
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH