Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2275380 times)

Offline slammed87d21

• New folks
    • The Vintage Attic
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #795 on: June 29, 2009, 03:17:52 PM »
Hello everyone. I was referred here by one of the members of Antique Radio Forums. I've been a speed freak all my life. My last build was a 1973 Super Beetle witha 383 stroker. Now, I'm slowly building my motorcycle, and the drag strip is no longer long enough for me, so I plan on one day going to Bonneville. It's an '85 Yamaha FJ1100, with the 1200 engine, slightly ported head, custom breather, and diff sprockets. I've been clocked at 162 so far, and that was just in 4th gear. Hopefully one of these days, I can break 200 on it.
Andy

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #796 on: June 29, 2009, 03:25:49 PM »
Just where in Tennessee is Seymour?  Whatever -- get the bike done and go to Maxton (N.C.) for some shake down time before you head to the Salt.  Depending on how good is your aero/bodywork -- it'll take about 210-230 hp to go 200 at Maxton -- at the Salt a similar number, but the conditions vary much more than they do on the cement track.

Best wishes, and thanks for joing the Forum.  And -- the Antique Radio Forum referred you?  I haven't been to that place -- how'd they happen onto land speed racing?  I'm an antique radio ham (licensed since '62).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #797 on: June 29, 2009, 05:23:06 PM »
"I'm an antique radio ham . . . "

Didn't know the radio part.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #798 on: June 29, 2009, 06:46:14 PM »
Jon;

I got my novice license in 1953 when we lived in Newport, RI-- WN1ZUO. I guess that makes me an antique!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ ex- N7BBN, W8TKF, DL4CU, & AE1CU
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #799 on: June 29, 2009, 07:59:19 PM »
Manta, you must have been a child progidy.  I got my license in 1962 -- WN8GDW.  Here I am, almost 47 years later -- and my call is WA8GDW.  No changes for me -- easy to keep track of it this way.  And it's so old that you can't tell what class ticket I've got by looking at the ca...

Okay, everyone, we'll talk about racing really soon.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cole222

• Recluse Holster
« Reply #800 on: June 29, 2009, 08:10:49 PM »
Slammed,
Good to see another Tennessean and HAM - KA1TLC - I have not been around long enough to be an antique but I like your web site. We also learn of another one of SSS talents; is it those long winters up North? Welcome and hope to meet you and see ya on the Salt one day soon.
Cole
"Form and function are the opposite sides of the same coin." R Reagan

Offline slammed87d21

• New folks
    • The Vintage Attic
« Reply #801 on: June 29, 2009, 09:08:37 PM »
Just where in Tennessee is Seymour?  Whatever -- get the bike done and go to Maxton (N.C.) for some shake down time before you head to the Salt.  Depending on how good is your aero/bodywork -- it'll take about 210-230 hp to go 200 at Maxton -- at the Salt a similar number, but the conditions vary much more than they do on the cement track.

Best wishes, and thanks for joing the Forum.  And -- the Antique Radio Forum referred you?  I haven't been to that place -- how'd they happen onto land speed racing?  I'm an antique radio ham (licensed since '62).

As of right now, there isn't any bodywork to speak of. Had a spill about 2 years ago, and lost the plastic, and couldn't find any more. Seymour is right outside Knoxville and Pigeon Forge. Going through, if you blink, you miss it. :-P

Slammed,
Good to see another Tennessean and HAM - KA1TLC - I have not been around long enough to be an antique but I like your web site. We also learn of another one of SSS talents; is it those long winters up North? Welcome and hope to meet you and see ya on the Salt one day soon.
Cole

Thanks for the compliment about the web site.
Andy

Offline rightpedal

• New folks
« Reply #802 on: June 29, 2009, 09:25:49 PM »
Hi all

I was paying attention at the morning meeting on Saturday at Maxton and decided to check you out.  I see a lot of familiar names from the bangshift site some know me some don't.  I am the proud owner of the white/red top 62 Newport that sat at the gate all weekend.  No race car as of yet.  Just a desire to learn all I can.  I figure some volentering at the track is a good way to meet and talk to those in the know.  So if you see the tall goofy lookin one that is not Kim at the gate of Maxton say hi.

Steve

Offline MyRideisMe

• Can't wait for my first Speedweek
    • Hot Rod and Custom Car Community
« Reply #803 on: July 08, 2009, 12:54:24 AM »
Hey everyone... first time posting here.

I'm Craig Pike from Chandler, Arizona and I'm about to be addicted to Land Speed racing.  Planning for my first trip to Speedweek, I contacted landracing.com and heard from Jon, the self proclaimed, "Tall guy with moustache
and a pair of 2 Club hats".  I wanted to post about a story my buddy Hechtspeed already posted!  Oh well...

I have a 1927 Ford Roadster you could call a "Lakes Modified". I appropriately named her "Bonnie". It's running a 2.3L Ford 4 cylinder from the beloved Pinto.. or 'stang or whatever... they're all the same.  There's a link to pictures in my signature. (if it shows...)

I also have a website called, My Ride is Me.  www.MyRideisMe.com.  I hope you'll take a look. It's an online hot rod and custom car magazine where we posted the story about DallasV's roadster: http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/volk-bros-1929-salt-flats-record-roadster/

It's also a community to share pics and get to know other car folks.

I'm looking for other stories about land speed racing cars.  Bonneville, El Mirage, the standing mile races... I want to know why, "My Ride is Me." The family element of the Volk Bro's Roadster really made it interesting.

Anyone interested in telling their story, please get in touch.
Thanks for a wealth of info! I hope to be well prepared for my first trip to the Salt. 
Pikesan
Pictures of all my cars including my 1927 Lakes Roadster Modified called, "Bonnie"

Offline Bruin

• Just makin doo.
« Reply #804 on: July 08, 2009, 02:06:51 AM »
Salutations to all Saltines.
New here but went to BUB in 2008 and ran some old Brit engines in three classes.  My wife, friends and I liked it so much we are returning in 2009 with some new old import iron like the '82 Honda XR500R in my avitar.  Our particular addiction is to fix up old clunkers never meant to run for speed and run them for speed with the best home made parts money can't buy. We call it "makin doo". Some may be faster but nobody has more fun.  We have three AMA National records in our pockets but nothing beats running from blue line to blue line for the shear joy of it.

Lots of good information here and I look forward to meeting everyone on the salt. If you see a machine with the Speed Team Doo "STD" logo, introduce yourself.
STD; Speed Team Doo
'82 Honda 500 APS-AF
'70 Triumph 250 MPS-PG
'71 Triumph 250 APS-PF
'70 Triumph 250 M-PG

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #805 on: July 10, 2009, 10:43:29 AM »
Hello all.

I'm Ed Bennett, WhizzbangK.C. on every message board I've ever posted on, some of you may have seen me around 8-)

I'm another member of Speed Team Doo, and proprietor of the STD central fab works (AKA my garage) here in Kansas City, MO.

I've been lurking here in my spare time for several months and been meaning to sign up for quite a while, but building this years bike has kept me too busy for much posting, even on my regular boards.

Looking forward to much good give and take in the future, and hope to see some of you on the salt at the Bub Speed Trials.
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #806 on: July 10, 2009, 12:01:39 PM »
Hmmm, the "STD" team.  Does that in some way imply we oughta wash our hands very carefully after shaking hands with you folks?

Whatever the sanitary requirements -- welcome to the world of being a registered user of the Forum.  We're glad you're here, and glad that you've decided to come out of the closet -- from lurker to real person.

Nancy and I plan to be at all five land speed events at the Salt this year, including Bub's -- to provide "coverage" for this website.  We won't be racing at Bub's -- but you still oughta be able to find us someplace during the four days.  Look for us and say howdy in person.

Welcome!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline CNC-Dude

« Reply #807 on: July 13, 2009, 12:43:20 PM »
 Hello everyone, i've always been a huge fan of LSR, but have never been fortunate to participate or spectate in it. I think that it represents the ultimate peak of man vs. machine in motorsports. I do have a lot of knowledge and experience in building and prepping some of the fastest NHRA Chevy 6's that have competed in Comp Eliminator and the old Modified Production class, and have a great interest in blending new 21st century technology with some of the older vintage inline engines. I recognize some familiar usernames from other forums I hang out on, so im sure this will be a great forum as well. Im thru lurking and ready to jump in and get busy. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of your community. :-D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 12:48:12 PM by CNC-Dude »

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #808 on: July 13, 2009, 12:53:08 PM »
Welcome, always good to have new folks. Are you building or thinking of building something for LSR?
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline CNC-Dude

« Reply #809 on: July 13, 2009, 01:45:58 PM »
 Hi Fred, I would like to try something in the Modified Pickup class. I have a '49 F1 that I originally considered doing a 21st century style Flatty with some billet heads and sheetmetal intake and some custom machined 2 bbl carbs, but my interests are so broad and varied. I have gotten a strong desire for the straight 8 Poncho lately, and have had several other guys show an interest in me making some specialty pieces for those engines. Its just hard to settle on one particular theme or engine, because I have a true passion and interest in so many different things. I usually get drawn into other peoples projects to make thing for them and their engines, I sometimes get sidetracked from my own stuff. But I greatly enjoy the challenge of making an designing things for fellow enthisiasts just as much. So in a way it lets me indirectly be a part of the big picture, even if I don't get my own stuff out there.