Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267267 times)

Offline T Fry

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #780 on: June 21, 2009, 01:35:57 AM »
My name is Troy Fry and I live in cental Mo. My background is pretty lack luster as Im just a truck driver who likes things that go fast.

After years of wishing and planning and things getting in the way, I finally made my first trip to Bonneville in 07. I missed going last year but am returning this year for some field research. I am in the early planning stages of a D/GCC, 40 Ford coupe. From what Ive searched on this site so far, I am sure Ill learn alot from here. And hopefully over time Ill be able to add to this group.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #781 on: June 21, 2009, 12:37:04 PM »
Troy, you just did add to the group.  We enjoy having more and more folks sign up -- because not only does it give us a chance to help someone learn the hobby we so enjoy -- but it brings fresh thoughts and ideas to us, once in a while those being something vital -- that we hadn't yet found.  Thanks -- and welcome to the website and the Forum.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Viau Boys

• New folks
« Reply #782 on: June 21, 2009, 09:51:37 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Matt Viau, I'm from Upper Michigan, and I'm currently going to school pursuing an aerospace engineering major. Unfortunately that doesn't mean I know anything about it, I've probably learned more reading things on here than I have at school so far. My dad and I decided to start building a car for Bonneville about 2 years ago, then we made the trek out there last year for Speed Week and really got hooked. We're just finishing up the car now so we'll be ready to run at Speed Week in august. The car is a '68 Camaro running in the CGC class with a 370 cid sbc. I'll be extremely happy if we can just run over 200 mph, but if we get a record I certainly won't complain. I had a blast in Bonneville just watching last year, can't wait to actually be there with a car.
Matt Viau
Car #1305, Brampton Michigan's Fastest Brick

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #783 on: June 21, 2009, 10:27:33 PM »
Hey Jon, looks like you and Matt are neighbors.... Maybe you need to caravan from the UP to Bonneville
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #784 on: June 22, 2009, 09:00:18 AM »
Stainless:

It never ceases to amaze me that some folks CAN figure out where the Upper Peninsula is located.  The Viau's and I have had a few email exchanges already.  We leave on different schedules, but I expect we'll hook up at the Salt.

Best of all -- they already know about pasties.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #785 on: June 23, 2009, 12:13:49 AM »
Jon, spent a little time there fixing airplanes.... it is amazing how it can look so green flying over it when there is 4 feet of snow on the ground...  saw ice cubes larger than my living room stacked on the beach of the big lake... Nice place to visit but......  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline NOT A TA

• New folks
Lurker speaking up
« Reply #786 on: June 23, 2009, 06:11:51 PM »
Hey all, long time lurker. Signed up long ago but never posted. I've been driving/building a 70 Firebird for many years. Ran the ECTA season opener back in 06 and HOT ROD put a couple nice pics of my car in the feature story they ran on the event. I've previously gone to drags, road track events, as well as the ECTA and still drive the car on the street. I stopped going to all track events for a year and spent my money on upgrading the safety equipment so I could eventually do the things I'd like to do with the car. I'll continue going to drags, road tracks and land speed events but will also be going to some open road races and possibly the Targa New Foundland (sp?)

While I was building in the safety features I was in touch with Joe Timney about LSR requirements as well as purchasing stuff through Deleware Chassis Works. Building a car that will hopefully pass the tech requirements for so many different organizations was a project for me as well as the chassis builder I hired to do the cage and other fab work. I built the car myself, but when it came to the cage and related safety bending/welding/fab work I handed over the task to a person with much better skills than I'll ever have in that department.  JW racing in CT built the cage and did the fabrication work for the fire system brackets, tow hooks etc. Then I did all the installs and making everything look pretty while performing their functions. The safety things I've done are way over the top for the speeds the car is currently capable of, but now I can concentrate my efforts on making the car faster!!!

Here's a link to the safety build thread on another forum http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48151

I ran the car at Sebring this past weekend and other than a tire that developed a bulge from shifted belts late in the day Sat. everything ran well. The NASA tech inspectors were impressed with the safety efforts while retaining the look of a stock vehicle. Two new Z rated tires for the front Sunday morning at a local tire place and I was back in action for Sundays schedule. I'm watching the weather and if all goes well I'll be taking the car up to Maxton this coming weekend for the June meet. Everybody loves pics so here's a couple of my car.

John
www.RadCapz.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #787 on: June 23, 2009, 06:39:28 PM »
That's a great looking car!

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #788 on: June 23, 2009, 06:55:16 PM »
Nice car. What motor do you have in it? How fast has it run at Maxton.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #789 on: June 23, 2009, 08:06:34 PM »
NICE looking car, John. The Bandit would be envious!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline NOT A TA

• New folks
« Reply #790 on: June 23, 2009, 10:08:55 PM »
Thanks guys! When I ran at Maxton I didn't have a roll bar so they limited me to 135 and said over 140 I'd get the boot so I ran 135-136 nascar style all weekend, just going around and getting back in staging. I'm currently running a '74 Pontiac 400 with '68 #16 heads. It's kind of a mystery longblock engine from a Judge clone car I was parting out that burned. I don't know anything about the cam, rods, pistons, valves, headwork, etc. I just cleaned it up, painted it, and used a Canton RR pan, melling pump, Flowkooler, MSD, Edelbrock, BG carb and so on. I don't run it over 5200 RPM because I don't know if it still has stock rods in it.

I plan on finding/building a serious engine ( IA II or similar) and using a Keisler 5 speed setup with the .82 overdrive. I built a 2.41 rear with Moser tapered bearing axles, Ford style housing ends etc.for it since I last went to Maxton so I want to test it out. It worked fine at Sebring but the straights aren't as long as Maxton AND I have to slam on the brakes to make the next turn. So reaching ultimate top speed isn't really possible there. With the power I have now I figure about 150-155 is probably the limit at Maxton. Hopefully I'll find out this weekend!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #791 on: June 24, 2009, 12:55:59 AM »
Thanks guys! When I ran at Maxton I didn't have a roll bar so they limited me to 135 and said over 140 I'd get the boot so I ran 135-136 nascar style all weekend, just going around and getting back in staging. I'm currently running a '74 Pontiac 400 with '68 #16 heads. It's kind of a mystery longblock engine from a Judge clone car I was parting out that burned. I don't know anything about the cam, rods, pistons, valves, headwork, etc. I just cleaned it up, painted it, and used a Canton RR pan, melling pump, Flowkooler, MSD, Edelbrock, BG carb and so on. I don't run it over 5200 RPM because I don't know if it still has stock rods in it.

I plan on finding/building a serious engine ( IA II or similar) and using a Keisler 5 speed setup with the .82 overdrive. I built a 2.41 rear with Moser tapered bearing axles, Ford style housing ends etc.for it since I last went to Maxton so I want to test it out. It worked fine at Sebring but the straights aren't as long as Maxton AND I have to slam on the brakes to make the next turn. So reaching ultimate top speed isn't really possible there. With the power I have now I figure about 150-155 is probably the limit at Maxton. Hopefully I'll find out this weekend!

Good luck and kick ass.

Great lQQking car..

J

Offline akk

• owner of #920/928 Contrivance Special
« Reply #792 on: June 26, 2009, 10:43:03 AM »
Hi
My name is Neil Akkerman. I have been logging on this site for years and lately have taken to replying to posts. My log on is "akk" which comes from the marking I used to put on my books in college. I would like to get rid of the newbie status.

A group of us campaign the Contrivance Special car #920 and #928 (when we change classes). We currently hold the A,C,D and E GMR records the D record is faster than the current B record and the A record is faster than the current AA record. This summer we are going to make a run at the B record.

OK enough for the brag... I realize that records are meant to be broken... that is the beauty of this particular form of racing. I respect all of those that have gone before us, would like to think that we have really accomplished something and that we have set the stage for others to feel they have accomplished something when they break our records.

I grew up building my own go karts, motor bikes and mini bikes. My older brother Jim , my dad and I were pretty successful racing go Karts in the 60's and 70's. I first learned of Bonneville reading the old magazines that covered hotrods, go karts and Bonneville. It seems that sooner or later every vehicle I have driven has been tested to answer the question "how fast will it go?".

I graduated from college with a BSME engineering degree and went to work designing oil field equipment. I founded a company, grew it, sold it and 70 patents later I retired. Those who know me know that I can't do nothing. Racing at Bonneville has become my passion.

Like a friend of mine said too much is enough... so I will stop writing now.
holder of AA/GMR A/GMR B/GMR C/GMR D/GMR E/GMR records

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #793 on: June 26, 2009, 10:46:41 AM »
Neil, welcome to the forum. I have timed your car at Bonneville many times. Each year you show up with changes and up grades and the runs show your efforts. Keep it up and see you on the salt.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline davidp

• New folks
« Reply #794 on: June 29, 2009, 04:12:14 AM »
I found this site while researching improving the coefficient of drag for a '69 Beetle, (trying to make it more fuel efficient). You guys are very knowledgeable and landracing.com seems like a great way to learn from people much smarter than me. Forgive me if asking questions on a first post is a faux pa, but I was wondering if someone would be so kind as to educate me a little.

Does lowering a car reduce the frontal area?

Would narrowing the front fenders an inch on each side improve the Cd?

Does the Porsche 930 'Whale Tail' groom the laminar flow and reduce turbulence? (I swear I'm not going to put a fart-can Honda'esque top-fuel dragster sized rear spoiler on my deck lid. Actually what I'm thinking about is a servo actuated variable pitch rear down force device controlled by an ecm map to prevent the rear tires from spinning faster than the front by comparing input from hub relucter rings, kind of like abs systems).

Sorry for the long post. I'm just really grateful that I found this site.