Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267467 times)

Offline drddd2424

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #750 on: May 25, 2009, 10:34:07 PM »
Howdy Dave,
Another newbie dave here. From Calif. gettin ready for Aug., can't believe there are almost 500 registered already. cant wait.  :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #751 on: May 26, 2009, 10:14:22 AM »
Ryan, you might think about the East Coast Timing A'ssn -- with five events each year in Maxton, NC.  That's a heck of a lot closer than the Salt - and there are already a good number of LSR folks from Florida that race at Maxton.  Visit www.ecta-lsr.com and give 'em a look-see.

Welcome to this site, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Abeblinkin

• New folks
« Reply #752 on: May 27, 2009, 01:58:57 PM »
Hello,
My name is Mike and I registered yesterday. I always wanted to build a smaller cc motorcycle to run at bonneville/el mirage ect. I guy from another forum who is a member here told me about the site and recommended I start here because there are a lot of experts and a lot of knowledge here. I'm looking to build a bike in the 100cc-250cc/special construction gas or fuel (A-F, A-G). I have considered options like a 4 stroke honda s90, honda 2 stroke cr80, and even running in a vintage class with a 200cc tiger cub engine. My idea is to go out to bonneville this year as a spectator and see how things are done. Then make some decisions and start building this fall/winter. I have no delusions of running at Bonneville and setting records the first time I make a pass. More so I would be happy to pass tech inspection and qualify to race and make some passes and then improve from there. Thanks for providing a great site with so much information I look forward to meeting some of you people in the future. Mike

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #753 on: May 27, 2009, 02:03:22 PM »
Welcome Mike, always good to see new people here, especially bike people. See you at Speedweek. Just remember, the only stupid question is the one you didnt ask.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #754 on: May 27, 2009, 06:35:08 PM »
Mike:

It looks like you've got all of the ducks in a row.  We usually suggest that a newcomer visit one of the meets without a vehicle, first, just to get an idea of the intensity and diversity of the stuff you'll discover.

As for building and having your bike teched (without necessarily planning on running it at the event)--it's a fine idea.  You'll learn what you missed or what you've done that isn't right or is extra.  We'd be very happy to inspect your bike for you -- but please arrive t inspection AFTER the big crowd has gone through -- perhaps a couple of days into the meet.  There won't be any cranky racers impatiently awaiting their turn at inspection that way, and the inspectors won't be as well-toasted as we are during the big rush.

Welcome!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Abeblinkin

• New folks
« Reply #755 on: May 27, 2009, 07:06:00 PM »
Thanks for the welcome guys. Yeah I'm really excited to start building something right away, but I know its not a good idea. I'm going to take speed week as a field trip of sorts this year, take it all in and see what I can learn. I want to watch the tech inspections, I hear they are very strict and thorough , as well they should be. First I got the book and have read through it several times trying to decide on a class that would be good for a rookie and would be realistic for me cost wise. As well as figuring on safety equipment costs. Than the easy part, convincing a friend to do it with me :-D, as well as go out for speed week this year. When I start building this Sept/Oct I'll post pics up so you guys can make sure I'm not going down the death trap road. Just flying through the time traps at any speed would be great for me, I'm just worried about getting this salt bug I keep hearing about.

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #756 on: May 27, 2009, 10:01:29 PM »
Don't you guys just love fresh meat?!!  Poor Mike, he already has the salt bug and doesn't even know it!!   :-o Such innocence!!   8-)  Any of you remember when?  :roll:  No?  :wink:  Didn't think so!!  :-D

Welcome Mike to the LSR and you'll be welcome on the salt too!!  It's too late to change your mind now, there's only one cure for that bug and it's only at Bonneville!   :cheers:

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Abeblinkin

• New folks
« Reply #757 on: May 28, 2009, 01:00:06 AM »
HAHA^^^awesome! I like this one!

Offline the baron

• New folks
« Reply #758 on: May 31, 2009, 03:51:00 AM »
Hi, I am a newb to this.. Next year, I want to get my 200 MPH jacket.. I have a zx14, and am starting the journey to Bonny..

Offline the baron

• New folks
« Reply #759 on: May 31, 2009, 03:53:01 AM »
O, i guess I will ask my first question.. I want to get my licence, SCTA, i would like to have it, BEFORE i get to the salt next year, and with my projected speed being right over 200, could you all push me in the right direction... :cheers:

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #760 on: May 31, 2009, 10:46:42 AM »
Where are you from?  Tell us about yourself.  What's your background?
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #761 on: May 31, 2009, 11:45:43 AM »
www.scta-bni.org.
#1- Buy a rule book,
#2 -visit the lakes or Salt and see what others do to make it happen
#3 -Do a lot of research on the type of vehicle you want to run.
#4- If you want to run on the west coast SCTA, requires a club membership.
#5 - Tell us about your self , where you live, if you have any racing back ground etc.

Welcome to the web site and to LSR. Ask questions on this site as there are many racers to help
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #762 on: June 01, 2009, 01:56:47 AM »
Hi, I am a newb to this.. Next year, I want to get my 200 MPH jacket.. I have a zx14, and am starting the journey to Bonny..

200 mph per hour is super easy, a ZX-14 was already ridden over 200 mph at Maxton so with a longer track I am sure it will be much easier at "Bonny"... :cheers:

Welcome to the club.. :mrgreen:

Offline Stainless Two

• newest member of the 199.9 club :)
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #763 on: June 01, 2009, 07:22:23 AM »
There are some fast zx-14s out there...
Look at my new RED HAT!!!!

#278 1000CC APS-G 208.959MPH record
209.093 mph best time

pit bitch to #1000 Bockscar

Proud to be a Texan!  in San Antonio

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #764 on: June 01, 2009, 10:48:48 AM »
None of 'em bone-stock, though -- dangit!  Our '08 with some datalogging and nothing else -- went 188 at SpeedWeek.  Good luck.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com