Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2275795 times)

Offline KKMike

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #705 on: April 01, 2009, 10:23:30 PM »
I'm Mike Yoder, Hutchinson Ks.  Own & operate the local hot rod shop, Kansas Kustoms. I've only been to Speed Week twice, but started plans for a modified roadster in the back seat of the van on the return of our first trip. The car should be ready to go this year.
    I'm having a terrible time trying to post to the build diaries. I've tried several nites now. I'll see it I can post a photo herre.
Mike

Offline KKMike

• New folks
« Reply #706 on: April 01, 2009, 10:34:52 PM »
Another pic.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #707 on: April 01, 2009, 10:39:06 PM »
KK, nice looking roadster, front wheel drive etc. What engine are you running. Keep up the pictures and welcome to the forum.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #708 on: April 01, 2009, 10:49:54 PM »
 :-D :-D :-DOh boy!   New machines are always welcome on the salt.  Keep us posted!  Nice car!  Crow
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Stainless Two

• newest member of the 199.9 club :)
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #709 on: April 02, 2009, 07:41:00 AM »
You should be able to find some advice pretty easily if needed, seeing as how you have a couple of old salt hounds living an hour away in wichita :)  Welcome!  Look forward to meeting you!
Look at my new RED HAT!!!!

#278 1000CC APS-G 208.959MPH record
209.093 mph best time

pit bitch to #1000 Bockscar

Proud to be a Texan!  in San Antonio

Offline KKMike

• New folks
« Reply #710 on: April 05, 2009, 11:18:26 AM »
The motor for the roadster is a Olds Quad 4. Its been sleeved to get it down to 121 cu in (G class) That oughta start some discussion--sleeved vs de-stroking--
actually it was a $$ decision. The smaller bore does cause a flow issue with the 4-valve but were working it out.  FYI- a stock Quad head flows to enough to make 275 hp on gas (on the bench).
  The motor will run a 2 bl carb on a log type manifold & a Chevy distrubutor plugged into the back of the exhaust cam.
   The plan is to run a good block & lower end & run a cleaned up head with stock hi-output cams this year.. sort of a test mule just to get the car sorted out. The main head work is to get the flow corrected & compression back due to the issue of the small bore (3.40" from 3.62")  Like my uninformed buddy says,  how hard can it be to go 155?      Mike
 Like m

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #711 on: April 05, 2009, 12:50:02 PM »
Mike, start a build diary and show us a lot more pictures... you probably figured out that smaller pictures... about 120K each allow you to post 4 at a time.   Hope to get by your place in the next couple of weeks... thought I was going yesterday but I went the other way to buy a dually to tow the big trailer... Diesel w/5 speed
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline KKMike

• New folks
« Reply #712 on: April 06, 2009, 10:25:49 PM »
SS-- You really know how to hurt a guy. Our tow rig this year will consist of my bro-in-laws trailer & his dads 1/2 ton Ford.   Oh well, It keeps all the family & friends involved in the effort.
  My welder for the project (who's I've also promised drive time someday) plans to bring out his chopped 50 ford custom for our official push car.  He was a spectator with me last year & also a bad case of "salt bite".
 Mike

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #713 on: April 07, 2009, 01:55:36 AM »
It is time to introduce myself.  My real name is Bo Miller aka the Wobblywalrus.  My family and me run a Triumph Bonneville at the BUB speed trials.  It is my basic transportation about town for most of the year.  The picture shows my son and daughter.  This year the young fellow will run his dirt bike in the run-watcha-brung class.

Originally, about 35 years ago, I was trained as a machinist.  Standing in one place at a planer or lathe all day making the same parts was a little dull for a 20-year old.  I worked as a motorcycle mechanic and service manager for many years.  Then I worked as a heavy equipment mechanic in Bakersfield.  Out laying on the tarmac in the sun fixing equipment.  A person drank a gallon of water a day and peed out a cup or so.   Brutal.  I went to college and learned engineering.  We had a class with a small wind tunnel.  That sparked an interest in streamlining.  This is why I run a modified partial streamliner.  My goal is to run consistently between 120 and 130 mph on the Triumph without speed wobble.  A modest dream.

In Oregon we have lots of scenic beauty and fresh air but we are isolated from the racing scene.  This website helps a lot.  Sometimes I post what I think I know and others comment on it.  I learn more.  Digging deep into the technical chatter reveals answers to my problems.  I get good answers to questions.  Hopefully I can add something that helps someone.   

Offline Dreamweaver

« Reply #714 on: April 07, 2009, 05:04:25 PM »
Bill Giles, Boulder City, Nevada.

Been lurking here for about a year, finally got the rulebook and have been TRYING to understand it.

Drag raced in the early 70's, haven't done much since family and all that.

Seems my neighbor has sparked my interest in LSR, L. Goodfellow's son, aka Mormon Missile folks.

Probably do more pie in the sky racing, but who knows :-)

Plan on hitting some of the dirt venues coming up and taking a look.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #715 on: April 07, 2009, 05:44:38 PM »
The big difference in the SCTA Rule Book and others is that the SCTA tries to tell you what you need, not how to build it.  Makes for a lot of differering vehicles -- even in the same category.  No cookie-cutters here.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #716 on: April 07, 2009, 05:48:10 PM »
Welcome, Bill.  A Gary Wright fan, hey?  Whatever music you like -- it's good to know that some lurkers turn into Forum members, and because you finally joined up -- I'll be the first to send our greetings to you.  You already know lots of the stuff that goes on here, so feel free to jump in with comments and teases (aimed at others, not me, please) and lots of your own work.

Welcome!

PS  Here's one of the best photos of me from last weekend's Maxton event.  Take it for what it's worth. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SaltChampion54

• New folks
  • 54 Studebaker Champion
« Reply #717 on: April 07, 2009, 10:44:46 PM »
Hi
After lurking on and off for a  while  figured Id  join up, My name is Jerry Sarkozi

I live just  south of Detroit, Michigan, I have been to Bonneville 2 times,I was actually hooked by My good  friend  Rick. He dragged me out there in 06,07 and  we are going  for 09! 

My current LSR car {project} is a 54 Studebaker Champion coupe, My goal is 200 mph!!  looking towards a twin turboed  LS1 chevy / Tremec and all the safety goodies but remain street -legal [loosely].

We attended the  salt  talks barbeque hosted by "Seldom Seen Slim" in 07
I loved every second of it !  awesome  Michigan Pasties!

I will soon enter my Stude in the build  diary { I have many, many quesions}
and I also am armed  with a SCTA rule book!
I look foreward to help and  comments from all of you!

Thanks
Jerry

Offline willieworld

« Reply #718 on: April 07, 2009, 11:38:18 PM »
Welcome Jerry...Great place to get all of your questions answered.
Sheri Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Nashty

• New folks
« Reply #719 on: April 19, 2009, 01:16:16 AM »
Greetings - I'm really just a drag racer but the thought of doing something as historic and storied as B'ville just keeps calling me so I'm joining up to see if it is doable.

I've got a Geo Metro w/ a tube chassis Buick Motorsports Stage 1 (turbo) making around 900-1000.  It's a pretty good car and has been going on 5 years of racing with no real issues.  I'm looking to see if I can make it a salt flat car for a brief while and see what it will do.  Does everyone here think that 200mph is their starting point or is it just me?  The cars gone 157 but that was with a low power tune up because it's losing traction most of the pass if I set it on kill. 

Anywho, I'll be on here asking a few questions and lurking to see if this is something even doable or not.  If it is, I'll be out there to watch this year and to try it out maybe in 2010.

Roger