Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2273304 times)

Offline Geo

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #690 on: March 19, 2009, 07:48:39 PM »
freduce,

Welcome to our group.

That's a very nice car that any of us would be proud to be seen in it!   8-)  Only one problem, your driving from the wrong side  :-o  I would know.

Glad to have you join us.

Geo

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #691 on: March 20, 2009, 08:48:02 AM »
start a build diary here and take pictures as you go.  Good luck with the project.  Don't forget to have fun

Duuuhhh, I was so intent on reading other people's stuff, I kinda got side tracked on that one. :oops:

Didn't forget it, just haven't taken all the pics I could've. Not too far along yet, so it isn't that big of a loss.

I'm having fun now, it should be a blast when we get back to the salt.
Just happy to be here. :-D

Erik

Offline Mooseman

• New folks
« Reply #692 on: March 21, 2009, 08:07:18 PM »
Hello , I am new here . My name is William Payne , I am 20 years old and live in Wanganui New Zealand . I am a fan of v8's, hotrods, drag racing . I am currently unemployed and do not have car at this time but hopfully that will change in the near future .

I found this site this morning so thought I would sign up . I have had an interest in land speed racing ever since I was little and used to read about Donald Campball , Mickey thompson , and art arfons ,and the thrust teams . Hope to enjoy being on here and will try and read all the threads .

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #693 on: March 21, 2009, 08:33:11 PM »
Ahoy, William/Bill/Wilie -- pick one and we'll use it.  It's your choice, my friend.  Anyway, I'd like to extend a welcome to this site.  It's THE resource for things related to land speed racing, and hosts the biggest group of racers that you'll find anyplace short of one of the events in the US.  When you've got questions - please ask.  You'll likely get a bit of teasing because you didn't know something simple (or so you think) -- but you'll also get the benefit of many years of experience which has almost always had your very problem - and solved it.

Welcome again.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Hawk

• New folks
« Reply #694 on: March 22, 2009, 12:43:40 PM »
Hi everyone!

My name’s ‘Hawk’ and I currently crew on any one of three local North Carolina Region SCCA Racing teams.  First weekend of this month we road raced at VIR http://www.virclub.com , and afterwards while kicking the tires the subject of the car’s top end came up.  As always in a gearhead group, there were doubters as to statements made about the car’s top end performance (a Ford powered Reynard Formula Continental).  And.... that’s when the paddock’s discussion took a turn towards Maxton.  :)

Some of our group will be attending the forthcoming April event, reconnoitering and getting a better handle on what’s required to participate in the near future.  We have a LOT of preparation to do if we decide to silence the critics  :-D
We’ll be lurking here on the forum, and hoping to meet some of you at Maxton!  Thanks all!   :cheers:
Hawk
NCR SCCA 2008
"Crew Member of the Year'
http://www.ncrscca.com

Offline roller rocket

• New folks
« Reply #695 on: March 23, 2009, 09:53:48 PM »
Hi I'm Bob.
 I went for a Camping Holiday in South Australia.
 Lake Gairdner.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=WatchMyMuvie&view=videos

Thanks Bob..

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #696 on: March 23, 2009, 11:05:15 PM »
Hello all!

My name is Justin Calkins.  I'm located in Alden, Iowa, which is in the northcentral part of the state.  My father drug me along to the drags when I was younger.  He worked on a Top Alcohol Funny Car that was driven and mostly owned by Dennis Prochaska, in partnership with Stormin Norman Day.  I lived in northcentral Missouri for five years, then I graduated from high school and moved back 'home' to Iowa.  Right now I'm starting my third season working on the Suhr & Lechtenburg 'Orange Crate' nostalgia, top fuel, front engine dragster.  We won Indy last year, and was the class of the field.  Qualified #1, clicked it at 1000' each pass, runnin low 5.80's at 250s, and the second quickest car of the weekend was ONLY a 1/4 second slower than us!  I'm a service tech for Cam Spray pressure washers.  I'm divorced, already, with two great daughters, Emily Rose - 4 and Hannah Olivia - 8.  My dad is one of the 'higher-ups' at Speedway Motors, so I get to hear all the news with the Speedway LSR car.  I love riding my motorcycles, drawing, trying to play my guitar, and being outside.  I'm wanting to build a Triumph Tiger Cub powered streamliner, we'll see how that goes!

Here's some videos of the Orange Crate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvueou0aYS8  We are in the far lane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY_Y_Eko0Mw  We are in the near lane.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Aragorn

• New folks
« Reply #697 on: March 28, 2009, 10:12:23 AM »
Good morning Landracing.com! Well, I've lurked on here for almost two years, so I guess it's time I at least said hello. Although I have never been to the salt, I have been a huge fan of Bonneville since the day I read about Al Teague going 250mph+ in the old Sadd, Teague & Bentley roadster! To be a member of the 200mph club is a life long ambition of mine. Now that my kids are finally out on their own and I'm getting a little older, I hope to make that happen!

I've actually spent the last couple years interested in Hondas. I have a '91 CRX and a 2000 Civic coupe as a DD. When the weather is at least a little warmer, I would rather ride my '92 Ducati 900ss. My third Honda is a '76 CB360t.

I'm really out of lurk mode for a couple of reasons. I'm really hoping to attend the LTA meet this summer! Land racing in the northeast sounds too good to pass up. I'm really looking forward to that. I suppose the other reason is Stainless' wonderful chronicles of Max's Black Lightning. To get an inside look at that project is amazing! I love all the wonderful build threads everyone has on here too.

^^^^ BTW Justin, I love the nostalgia top fueler!

My Bike:

« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 10:16:55 AM by Aragorn »

Offline moretti124guy

• New folks
    • Morgan's & Phillips
« Reply #698 on: March 30, 2009, 09:23:37 PM »
Hello,

My name is Michael I am new to the world of Land Speed Racing, but I have been building, working on, racing, all kinds of small 4 cylinders since I was 14 (and a good number of big v8s too) I was considering building a 55-150cc streamliner or perhaps a car. I am glad I found this board and I am thinking of visiting the races this year as a spectator. Any caravans from so cal to the salt flats?

Michael
Alta Loma, CA
Michael
1969 Austin MINI
1974 X1/9

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #699 on: March 30, 2009, 10:27:36 PM »
Welcome!  I googled "moretti 124" (never heard of it) and the first hit was: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2368747  Neat car.  My uncle had a Moretti in the late '50's.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #700 on: March 30, 2009, 11:36:24 PM »
M124guy, Welcome to LSR, your 124 would make a great LSR car... I think your Moretti is a 2 seater, would qual for gt I think...
I know a guy in Denver that has one, as well as an old Zagato that we used to race.
We used to be part of the Old Fart (Fiat Abarth Racing Team)
Come out to the salt to look around, stop and introduce yourself, we will be there with something red/white/blue, or yellow or turd brown/flat black
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #701 on: March 31, 2009, 12:46:13 PM »
 :-o  The mind picture I got after reading your color combinations is going to bother me for a couple of days Stainless,   quit that!  Crow
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline DSR Bruts

• Salt Fever Reliever 1
« Reply #702 on: March 31, 2009, 03:23:50 PM »
Justin,
Know your Dad well.....he is another Iowa racer with a great past of winning races!  I am very familiar with Iowa Falls, as I attended Ellsworth Jr. College until the end of the football season.....  For those of you who aren't familiar with the Calkins family....they are the real deal and known for wrenching some of drag racingt's fastest cars.  You have a great family, actually, your Dad is a customer of mine, buying the Optima line for Speedway Motors....we had lunch together last time.  Welcome aboard....saw one of your posts and tried to get in touch with Jeff, but left a couple of message....with the acquisition of AFCO and Total Performance he was overloaded.  I think I saw him for a few minutes at the PRI Show also.  Congratulations on your Top Fuel win at Indy!  Top Fuel Cars are a Calkins family tradition.  Now....get out in the garage and make something happen!

Bill Brutsman
Bill and Ross Brutsman
778 D/STR
SDRC, BNI, SCTA, NSRA, SEMA
De Oppresso Liber

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #703 on: March 31, 2009, 08:16:26 PM »
Justin,
Know your Dad well.....he is another Iowa racer with a great past of winning races!  I am very familiar with Iowa Falls, as I attended Ellsworth Jr. College until the end of the football season.....  For those of you who aren't familiar with the Calkins family....they are the real deal and known for wrenching some of drag racingt's fastest cars.  You have a great family, actually, your Dad is a customer of mine, buying the Optima line for Speedway Motors....we had lunch together last time.  Welcome aboard....saw one of your posts and tried to get in touch with Jeff, but left a couple of message....with the acquisition of AFCO and Total Performance he was overloaded.  I think I saw him for a few minutes at the PRI Show also.  Congratulations on your Top Fuel win at Indy!  Top Fuel Cars are a Calkins family tradition.  Now....get out in the garage and make something happen!

Bill Brutsman

Hey, thanks Bill!  Do you remember Denny Prochaska?  He ran a TA/FC in the early to mid '90's that dad and I worked on.  He goes to Speed Weeks every year.  I might try to hitch a ride out with him in August.  I'm trying to get something of my own rollin.  Hopefully by next May I could hit El Mirage.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline moretti124guy

• New folks
    • Morgan's & Phillips
« Reply #704 on: April 01, 2009, 02:18:19 PM »
M124guy, Welcome to LSR, your 124 would make a great LSR car... I think your Moretti is a 2 seater, would qual for gt I think...
I know a guy in Denver that has one, as well as an old Zagato that we used to race.
We used to be part of the Old Fart (Fiat Abarth Racing Team)
Come out to the salt to look around, stop and introduce yourself, we will be there with something red/white/blue, or yellow or turd brown/flat black

I sold the Moretti a while back to a collector back east, I am considering several differnt ideas for a LSR. I would like to build a streamliner just because they are so cool. I was playing around with some designs in cad with  three wheels but I am just in the research phase. The Moretti 124 was a 2+2, you can check out more at my website www.morgansandphillips.com click on the Moretti Link.
Michael
1969 Austin MINI
1974 X1/9