Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2275427 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #675 on: March 10, 2009, 05:02:02 PM »
Ben:

Welcome to the Forum of landracing.con.  We all look forward to having you hang around here and helping us know what we know -- and learning some from us, teaching some to us -- and having a great time doing it.

Your age is fine for getting into the spirit of racing -- and the fact that you'll have a ride available is good, too.  Ride the wheels off that bike -- and here's my first suggestion:  Learn SAFETY first.  Learn to wear a helmet without having to be told to do so.  Learn to ride in the rain and on the dry and on pavement and on the dirt.  Learn to ride slowly as well as how to zoom along.  Safety is very inexpensive -- and although it might sound rather dull -- it'll put you head and shoulders above others that know only how to twist the throttle wide open - but can't turn, can't stop, can't even make the bike go where they want it to go.  Be safe, have fun, go fast -- those are the important parts of our racing -- and in that order, too!

Welcome, Ben.  Please feel free to post and ask at your leisure.  We're all here to learn -- and don't worry about asking something that you think is a silly question 'cause everyone (but you) knows the answer.  We were all like that at one time or another, and we like having the chance to dig through our minds to refresh our memories.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #676 on: March 10, 2009, 05:07:56 PM »
Ben,

As Jon said welcome to Welcome to the Forum of landracing.com even if the old guy calls it landracing.con... :wink:

Offline Ben Cullen

• New folks
« Reply #677 on: March 10, 2009, 05:08:40 PM »
thanks guys.  sam Is going to teach me how to ride. so im confident, sam knows his stuff about the benlys.
Im sure Ill have a great time talking to you guys about my expierience. Ill still be on this forum when im 60
posting about my expierences on a 125 again :-D
thanks again :-)
Ben :-) :-)
Junior sprinter.
Sam greens young mate.
Fan of LSR.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #678 on: March 10, 2009, 06:42:53 PM »
Mr. Noonan, you better be careful or I'll appoint you as the new comma cop. 

It's sort of funny -- I seldom carefully look at the post I'm about to send - to see if I've made a typo.  I try not to make 'em in the first place, and usually catch them as I'm typing them.  But do I go back and proofread?  Heck, no!  That's why the comma cop position is so necessary -- to have someone to keep an eye on my work.

18.1 feet of snow so far this year, but, dang it, there's warm weather in the forecast for the next few days.  What'll we do when all of this goes away?  Mourn, no doubt, and start swatting mosquitoes.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dannerville

• New folks
    • Welcome to Dannerville
New guy from San Diego
« Reply #679 on: March 11, 2009, 12:40:39 PM »
Hello,

My name is Rob D and this is my introduction. I am currently a Mechanical Engineering student at San Diego State University. I am taking a class this semester that includes designing and building a senior design project. My project partner and I decided to build a land speed motorcycle with the hopes of taking to El Mirage and Bonneville.

We were able to get some sponsorship from the bike shop that I work at and a donor bike. The donor bike is a 1978 BMW R100/7 and the class we are looking to compete in is the APG-1000cc. Somehow we have to make this bike get close to 146 mph with those giant jugs sticking out from either side. We'll see what happens.

I've been looking through this forum there seems to be a load of information. I look forward to learning more and being able to contribute when possible.

Rock 'n' Roll,
Rob D.

dwarner

« Reply #680 on: March 11, 2009, 08:12:07 PM »
Not a bike guy but, turn the engine on its side - two up, two down.

DW

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #681 on: March 12, 2009, 07:09:45 AM »
Dan:

And there you go, proving it:

"Not a bike guy"

BMW engines (like the one in this fellow's R100) -- are horizontally opposed TWINS -- one on each side, not two.

See why we keep you on your side of Impound?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline HighwayJunkie

• New folks
« Reply #682 on: March 15, 2009, 12:35:11 AM »
hey folks... I'm Corey MacQueen, a new guy with a BILLION questions. Gonna be hitting the FAQs and search real hard. I've spent the last 15 years in the Dirt Late Model world, and it has gotten very old. I'm planning on going to Bonneville for Speedweeks to check things out, maybe a shot at Maxton before that if I can arrange it. Any tips for a noob? Looks like a pretty cool community here...

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #683 on: March 18, 2009, 10:24:29 AM »
Hello, everyone. I have been lurking a bit, but I figure I should introduce myself now that I have signed up, officially. :-D

I have been interested in Bonneville since I found Dad's copy of "Breedlove 500"  years ago.

Mom and Dad raced before I was born, he and I have raced together in various forms of motorsport since I was 18.

Dad and I were able to go to Speedweek last year, I had to leave Monday (I got to see tech, that was neat) to go to a training seminar (it's why I got to go at all). I have Speedweek blocked out for time off this year. :-)

Dad stayed for Speedweek and helped some friends, eventually buying a car. Or as I put it "I left Dad unattended and he bought a car  :wink: ". Yes it's meant as a joke (I point it out as sometimes it's hard to convey verbal humor in writing).

So I am helping him with maintenace and what we hope are 'improvements' to the car. What car? It's an Orange 1956 Berkeley in G/GMS.

We are progressing well, and hope to have it ready in the next month to month or two (hopefully not too much longer, or we might not make it  :-o) if we don't find a gothca (still looking, haven't found one yet, knock on wood).

So I have alot more reading to do, I'll likely ask some questions too.
Just happy to be here. :-D

Erik

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #684 on: March 18, 2009, 10:45:29 AM »
Nex, welcome to the forum,Looks like salt fever bit you and you need the fix. Hope your project goes well and we see it on the salt in August. BTW, what area do you live so if something comes up there might be another racer to help you out. Have fun with the build.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #685 on: March 18, 2009, 10:51:11 AM »
New Guys, welcome to our world...  :cheers:

Nex, leaving any old racer on the salt unattended is how they become infected with salt fever.  How about a few pictures of your project.  Hopefully you have rule books and have read them 20 or 30 times already.  

Cory, there are a lot of dirt racers here already...  :roll:  OK maybe not same type of dirt but kids just want to have fun...

You mentioned searching... that is a really good start for any new guy, a lot of things have been discussed here over the years.

See ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline GH

« Reply #686 on: March 18, 2009, 02:30:03 PM »
Thats the Berkley that Charles Hornbrook built, he lives in Miller Missouri, It has some kind of a four cylinder mechanical injected engine. Charles sold the whole operation, shade, car, trailer and probably all the old rusty tools he always had with him. The car was in the rule book last year or the year before, not quite sure.

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #687 on: March 19, 2009, 07:11:21 AM »
Wow, thanks guys.

Yes, it's Charley's old car. I hesitate to Identify other people in public forums, I've seen it go weird several times on other boards.

We're keeping the car, and the pit bike (the tools as well for now, some novel and usefull appearing stuff in there  :-) ).

The trailer we think we have a buyer for, the shade, we're undecided on as yet, but we have an Easy Up, I figure on bringing it and the concrete anchor bases for it.

We are converting an Isuzu box truck to haul the car. We had an older one that we had done the same thing for hauling Legends cars (dad used to be the state dealer). It worked well, but as an older model it's a bit light in it's GVWR for Dad's taste (being out of state and all, he really wants to mind our Ps & Qs, don't need any tickets coming that far, and through a foreign country too).

Charley was telling me that it's a Citroen prototype, Peugeot bottom end W/ a Maseratti top end, dunno, yet. It did come with a small amount of documentation for changing the timing belt, and that says Peugeot on it.

I know it has 8 exhaust ports (we're cleaning the header up for repaint, would kinda like to coat it, but would likely have 2X the cost of the coating in shipping   :-( ).

It appears to have a modified Chevy II distributor grafted to the back of the head, complete with what appears to be a Chrysler magnetic trigger for the MSD.

Like I said, no 'gotchas' yet, hoping we won't find any.

Just for clarity, when I say that, I'm not implying that Charley knowingly sold Dad anything hokey. But I expect most of you can relate to taking something apart and finding something truly hosed, that neither you or anyone else had any idea was bad. So we are keeping an eye out for that, as so far it's going disconcertingly well  :-D (knocking on more wood).

As for where I am, I'm in Alaska, could've sworn I filled out my profile.  :?

I'll check it here in a few moments.

EDIT:

I have 'updated' my profile, still haven't got all of it finalised, yet.

Oh yeah, pictures, I forgot you asked  :oops: (got caught up trying to answer all the other stuff).

Unfortunately my Hard drive crashed in my laptop, taking almost all my pics with it. :-( At least it happened while I was trying to back them up, so it took out the hard drive I was backing everything else up on as well.  :roll: (that's 2 drives kaput :x )

However I had printed a couple that I plan to take to Kinkos or somebody and have them scan them, so maybe I can post some then (if they turn out). Right now the car is partially blown apart (still coming apart), so ther's really nothing recogniseable to see.

Oh, and rulebooks, I haven't got my '09 yet, should be here shortly. I've read, re-read, highlited, stickied, dog eared and tabbed the daylights out of my '08 though. :-)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 08:42:20 AM by Nexxussian »
Just happy to be here. :-D

Erik

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #688 on: March 19, 2009, 09:11:11 AM »
start a build diary here and take pictures as you go.  Good luck with the project.  Don't forget to have fun
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline fredeuce

• New folks
« Reply #689 on: March 19, 2009, 07:41:03 PM »
Hi folks, Another newbie from the land of OZ. My name is Fred Nitschke. I have been going to the salt here in South Australia since 1999 and haven't missed a meeting yet.

I have an interest in the VOT and MVOT classes. Presently building a VOT but still has some way to go.

Here is a pic of my old roadster taken on the way to the lake in 2005 by Brootal .

Fredeuce