Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267433 times)

Offline landsendlynda

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #570 on: January 30, 2009, 02:14:03 PM »
NO ORANGE STICKER

Ah yes, I taught her well!  Take aim, shoot straight!!
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline 1mile14

• New folks
« Reply #571 on: January 30, 2009, 11:41:27 PM »
First post here from a newb of land speed racing.

My name is Kevin Duffy.

I am a staff sergeant in the Air Force. But will be sewing on tech sergeant come june this year. <--more money for my projects. 72 F100, with a 32 valve mod motor/5 speed. 75 Duster, possible 1st gen viper motor/6 speed, with custom suspension. 79 Camaro z28, keeping this one stockish.
I am a c-17a crew chief, and have spent a few years as a flight mechanic. lots of fun around the world. I have always been a bit of a gear head, and love fixing and taking stuff apart.

I bought a zx14 back in 2007, and have been itching to take the bike to Maxton. racing it at the local 1/4, gets old quick. its all over so fast, and im just teasing the bike when I have to slow down after only traveling 1320 feet. My personnel best is a 10.02 @147mph. I know I have a 9.5 in me, but I dont get out of the hole hard enough, I guess im skerd of looping my bike.

So ive got a few small things to do to the bike before I hit the mile. But ill start a new thread in the ECTA forum, and tell more about the bike there.

My personnel goal is to go past the 2 ton mark. Im not out to set any records or be crazy. I just want to have fun, learn about this sport, my bike, myself, and get to know the people of this sport.

On a side note, I was at Baltimore World International airport today and happened to sit next to Speed Limit 1000 at the USO there. He noticed that I was on here reading, and he was on here too! Ironic, we got to talking and had a good time telling stories. Then we ran into the Kansas City Chief cheerleaders :-o........ :-D :-D

Offline DavidinDurango

« Reply #572 on: January 31, 2009, 10:07:23 AM »
Sounds like a good friend!

Sigh, I guess I can welcome my "kid" to the forum.  She's worse than a sheep, more like a turkey!!  Has absolutely no sense at all, she follows me everywhere...up the mountain, down the rock slide, through the creek or into the creek, (it's okay, just keep walking and dragging!!), out to the salt, out on the salt...etc.

She's my hunting partner, fishing partner, partner in crime, doesn't complain about getting burned to a crisp at land's end, loves the racers, and is kind (  :-o ) to the spectators.  She's a hard worker with an incredible sense of humor...... anybody wanna buy her?  We could start the bidding at ...oh... a million dollars (american).  Only thing is, the grandchildren don't go with her, they're MINE!! 

Anyway, the nickname Barney fits her pretty darn good!!  I'm glad she decided to join!

Her Mom Lynda
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline Gary C

• New folks
« Reply #573 on: January 31, 2009, 06:08:20 PM »
Huge thanks for the welcome guys - appreciate it!  There definitely is a *huge* and extremely vast pool of knowledge of here. The more time I spend reading on the site, the more I'm in awe of the vast amounts of knowledge present...also the more excited I get to take the step from the design stages to setting up on a frame table and going to work!  :-D

Offline dreece611

• New folks
« Reply #574 on: February 03, 2009, 12:07:57 AM »
Hi my name is Dave Reece

Well after a couple years of thinking about it and seeing World Fastest Indian for the 100th time I decided to build a bike for Bonneville. OK I am middle age and it was either this or that 30 something that I work with, she is hot.................. Actually this is cheaper ;-) 

So its been research, study and thank god for Ebay for some starter parts. I am looking at the 175cc class and the rotary engine bike class but my final decision on what class and engine I will run in wont be till summer time. I am leaning towards a streamliner design. I have done preliminary design work on TurboCad and Pro Engineer for FEA and fluid flow analysis.

OK its nuts but then its Bonneville.

Having fun and enjoying the dream of spead.

David Reece

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #575 on: February 03, 2009, 05:57:27 AM »
Sigh, I guess I can welcome my "kid" to the forum.  She's worse than a sheep, more like a turkey!!  Has absolutely no sense at all, she follows me everywhere...up the mountain, down the rock slide, through the creek or into the creek, (it's okay, just keep walking and dragging!!), out to the salt, out on the salt...etc.

She's my hunting partner, fishing partner, partner in crime, doesn't complain about getting burned to a crisp at land's end, loves the racers, and is kind (  :-o ) to the spectators.  She's a hard worker with an incredible sense of humor...... anybody wanna buy her?  We could start the bidding at ...oh... a million dollars (american).  Only thing is, the grandchildren don't go with her, they're MINE!! 

Anyway, the nickname Barney fits her pretty darn good!!  I'm glad she decided to join!

Her Mom Lynda

No chance to escape :-D

Hi Kaara, welcome to landracing...................or did I have to say  :roll:  Barney 8-)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 06:29:32 AM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #576 on: February 03, 2009, 07:24:52 AM »
David, welcome to the forum. You are in the first chapter of salt fever. It is usually a bug that requires a yearly fix or it causes funny things to go in inside ones head and then you realize the need for another salt fix.

Good luck on your project. Don't be afraid to ask questions because someone has the answer. Let us know where you live as we have friends all over the country that can help you out and look at your build. :-D :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #577 on: February 03, 2009, 08:19:27 AM »

.... it was either this or that 30 something that I work with, she is hot.................. Actually this is cheaper ;-) 

David Reece

David, welcome to LSR, sounds like you are making the choice of the afflicted, not sure LSR will be cheaper but you will have more than memories when it's over...  :roll: (the bike  :-D )
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline GH

« Reply #578 on: February 03, 2009, 10:33:36 AM »
Barney, glad to see you posting on this site. Are you still carrying that bullet in your pocket?

Offline Toolman

• New folks
« Reply #579 on: February 03, 2009, 11:50:28 AM »
Hello My name is Gene Tinney aka Toolman. The reason for the name toolman is for the last 40 years, I had a company that manufactured cutting tools for industry. We are located in Bourbonnais, Illinois, about 65 miles south of Chicago. Sept 1st of 2008, we sold the corporation. Just in the nick of time. Now my time is spent on Land speed racing and street rods. Have been at Bonneville the last 10 years.
GENE TINNEY

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #580 on: February 03, 2009, 11:58:54 AM »
Welcome Gene, have you been racing or spectating?  Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #581 on: February 03, 2009, 11:59:37 AM »
Gene, welcome to the new life style of retirement and LSR. Good luck on any projects you are working on. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline paul1275s

• New folks
« Reply #582 on: February 03, 2009, 04:16:17 PM »
Hi Guys,
My name is Paul and have joined recently after lurking around for a while. I'm building up a car with my buddy Simon to bring out to the salt for Speed Week 2010. We are coming out to Speed Week 2009 for a recce trip and to hopefully meet up with some of you guys for real. We've got the rule book but still need to clear up a few points, I'll probably be asking a few questions.. The car in question is going to be a Mini (the proper British mini) and we will probably be in engine class 'i'. I have heard that people have run minis at Bonneville before, If anyone has any info or photos of this I'd be grateful. Myself and Simon both compete with Minis in motorsports such as autotests (gymkhanas), road navigation rallies and production car trials. We've got a top mini engine builder on board and we are hoping to get some support from one of the big Mini spares suppliers.
Looking forward to meeting some of you guys and being part of this busy forum!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #583 on: February 03, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
Paul
Welcome from this side of the pond. Before leaving for Bonneville look in the tech forum for what to bring even as a spectator the first time. You must be prepared for the heat etc. Good luck on the Mini and hope to see it next year.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline nova man

• New folks
« Reply #584 on: February 03, 2009, 06:40:18 PM »
Hello to all The name is Eric Barnes new to this but i have the bug... I am in the US ARMY located at Fort Rucker AL . Hopeing that i can get some help with my 1973 Nova .. Its a ground up build ... Take care Eric :cheers: