Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2273594 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #555 on: January 12, 2009, 04:42:01 PM »
And Joe Timney not only knows and will share about cages -- he owns and operates Delaware Chassis Works -- so builds cages, among other things, for a living.  It'd be safe to say that if you build according to Joe's suggestions -- it'll pass.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

-pru-

« Reply #556 on: January 12, 2009, 07:28:48 PM »
Pru, do you have pictures of the roll structure?  does the cockpit have an inner liner that will retain your limbs if the outer shell is compromised?  fire system?  Parachute?  I would send pictures to the ECTA technical folks and talk with them on the phone before you show up to the races.
To run on the salt, the easy start would be the USFRA 150 club(lets you go 159). Go to their website from the home page, read the rules, if you think you are there, it is the easy start on the salt for a race car.  You will also get to see all the other cars at World of Speed.  Ask questions in the USFRA section of this website.
Hey, break the G G/L record and you are in the 200MPH club...  :wink:

Yep, have photo's...I will (soon) post as much in a new tread in the ECTA Rule section...

e-Mailed Joe yesterday...Not sure the message made it due to the SPAM blocks / replies that I had to answer so I sent it off again today...

Thanks all again for your feedback...

-pru-

« Reply #557 on: January 14, 2009, 10:55:12 AM »
Yep, have photo's...I will (soon) post as much in a new tread in the ECTA Rule section...

e-Mailed Joe yesterday...Not sure the message made it due to the SPAM blocks / replies that I had to answer so I sent it off again today...

Thanks all again for your feedback...

Thread posted in ECTA Rules:

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?topic=5349

Offline Motornoggin

• New folks
  • Speed Freak
« Reply #558 on: January 18, 2009, 10:32:23 PM »
Hey guys,

FNG here. Thought I would say hello.

I've been a gear head for most of my life, sometimes in the thick of it, sometimes just spectating. I haven't raced anything for quite a while and have the urge to get back into some form of motorsports. My last racing was with boats. My familly raced outboard powered tunnels and modified vee's. Done a lot of local racing as well as national events, mostly enduros and I really miss the atmoshpere.

I've always thought of land speed racing as the ultimate and purest form of motorsports there is. I've been through the Bonneville Salt Flats many times and would often stop just to take it all in. I think of it as almost sacred.

Even though I appreciate the big budget teams (eye candy is always good!), my heart is with the grass-roots garage engineered efforts. I'm a big fan of "run what ya brung" (as long as it's reasonably safe, or course).

In that grass-roots spirit I'm really thinking of putting together one of my cars for a trip to Bonneville speed week, either this year or next depending on funding. The car in question is a 74' Jaguar XJ-6. It's been converted to run a SBC/TH350 and has been mechanically rebuilt (suspension, steering, Brembo brakes, bushings, etc...). The engine is reasonably fresh, but would need some upgrades to be race worthy. Same goes for the transmission. Or course it would also need the requisite safety gear as well. It's not a pretty car, but I think it would be a blast to run the salt with it!

With that, I think I'll sit back and read through some of the great info here and ask questions when I don't understand something.

Offline Geo

« Reply #559 on: January 18, 2009, 10:42:24 PM »
Motornoggin,

Welcome!  As a fellow Jag owner, join the group.  Read about the Buick powered XJ6.  Ask away as the racers have all the answers.  :-D

Geo

Offline Motornoggin

• New folks
  • Speed Freak
« Reply #560 on: January 18, 2009, 10:59:55 PM »
Motornoggin,

Welcome!  As a fellow Jag owner, join the group.  Read about the Buick powered XJ6.  Ask away as the racers have all the answers.  :-D

Geo

Thanks Geo!

I'll look for your car.

Offline 106mm

• New folks
« Reply #561 on: January 20, 2009, 07:36:41 PM »
UPDATE! I now have a turbo and won't be needing to use nitrous! Woohoo! I feel a little better about trying for the big 200 now. I'm sure not taking it for granted, though!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #562 on: January 22, 2009, 10:49:26 PM »
Yeah. We want lots of info about your engine. Spining at 118 means you got it going 118. Not half bad in my book.

There's a full feature on the car in the March 2009 Hot Rod.  Good article except for some nitwit photo captions. 

Neat car, Pedro!  Congratulations.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Gary C

• New folks
« Reply #563 on: January 29, 2009, 05:29:46 PM »

New guy here. I've been reading the board for a heck of a long time and just finally registered. I've loved land speed for a long time but being in the midwest I never really gave it a second thought and instead spent my time playing with drag cars, hotrods & customs.  The long and short of it is I'm a paint & body guy by trade and I'm finally making the 'step up' to LSR. I'll most likely be scratch fabricating an aluminium P-38 style belly tank body (also been thinking about the Rod & Race fiberglass route, as it'd be a heck of a time saver...) and running it as a  V4/BGL. I  have a copy of the rulebook that I've been studying up and down - so if and when the time comes for questions hopefully they won't be of the common sense already covered in the rule book style.  That's the goal anyway...  Other than that I've been reading everything I can get my hands on as far as fluid dynamics & aerodynamics (thanks to many good recommendations that I came across on this site!) along with a whole heap of other information.

If you are interested in some of my work this is the current project truck I'm working on with & for a friend of mine. The hood is all steel, along with everything else, really.  The hood is a mash of a '67 427 Corvette & late model Camaro SS as it is getting an LSx for it's heart with a sunken GTO style tach pod. If all goes to plan I'm hoping it will be used to tow the belly tanker to B'ville and start it, as I'm shooting to have the tanker done within 2 years or so.

http://public.fotki.com/gckustoms/paint--body-projects/paneltruck/

Anyhow, it's a great site you guys have here - I've spent probably a hundred plus hours late at night just reading various build & tech threads and trying to amass as much knowledge as possible, so for that - many thanks.

Gary

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #564 on: January 29, 2009, 05:53:38 PM »
Gary
Welcome to the LSR forum. Feel free to ask any questions. There is tons of information here and where to find just about anything related to the sport. There are a couple of people making glass tanks. Be sure to look in the tech forum tab on the front page for lists of what to take and vehicle prep before and after being on the salt.

Good luck on the project and keep us posted on the build. I'll look forward to seeing and timing your first run down the long black line. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #565 on: January 29, 2009, 06:23:46 PM »
Welcome Gary, sounds like you are about to have a lot of fun and a lot of work. Have you been to Bonneville? If not you might try to make a meet this year, besides being a lot of fun , you get a chance to check out similar cars and talk to lots of people.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Barney

• New folks
« Reply #566 on: January 30, 2009, 12:20:26 PM »
Hello all my name is Kaara. I am Lynda's daughter. She is always on this site so I decided to be a sheep and once again follow in her footsteps. I can't wait til speedweek again this year. I am looking forward to seeing all of you. I have been helping at the gate for 4 years now. The reason for the name Barney is when I was working security for USFRA I had to carry my 22 pistol. I am little so I needed some kind of equalizer to help get the point across that I am in control of the situation. I had to carry the bullet in my pocket so it didn't accidently go off. Gary Hart funny man that he is couldn't help but point out the similarities between me and the infamous Don knotts. I'm still not sure if I should be insulted. But the name has kinda stuck.
Volunteer in training.( Landsend Lynda's daughter, the nice one)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #567 on: January 30, 2009, 12:40:11 PM »
Barney, lol, I'm still going to throw you in the pool.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #568 on: January 30, 2009, 01:10:59 PM »
Sigh, I guess I can welcome my "kid" to the forum.  She's worse than a sheep, more like a turkey!!  Has absolutely no sense at all, she follows me everywhere...up the mountain, down the rock slide, through the creek or into the creek, (it's okay, just keep walking and dragging!!), out to the salt, out on the salt...etc.

She's my hunting partner, fishing partner, partner in crime, doesn't complain about getting burned to a crisp at land's end, loves the racers, and is kind (  :-o ) to the spectators.  She's a hard worker with an incredible sense of humor...... anybody wanna buy her?  We could start the bidding at ...oh... a million dollars (american).  Only thing is, the grandchildren don't go with her, they're MINE!! 

Anyway, the nickname Barney fits her pretty darn good!!  I'm glad she decided to join!

Her Mom Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #569 on: January 30, 2009, 02:07:11 PM »
NO ORANGE STICKER
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean