Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267473 times)

-pru-

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #540 on: January 11, 2009, 12:08:01 PM »
Hello All!

Following up on an idea that my longterm racing friend have and I have discussed, I am considering a trip to Maxton, NC in early Apr to run a SCCA legal Formula Ford 1600 (1985 Swift DB-1 FF1600). We want to see if we can establish the "exact" top end of a FF1600 (reported to be 147 mph). This would be in precursor a trip in the future ('10?) to Bonneville.

I came across this site by following various references to SCTA/ECTA discussed in formula car forum thread: http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31754.

Still have much to learn, but early investigation leads me to believe that we would be classed in either G/FL or G/GL classes. Meeting up with friend next weekend at which time he will provide me with a SCTA (similar to ECTA?) rulebook he picked while in the Wendover area this past summer on vacation (he has relatives in Salt Lake City).

After reviewing the rule book(s), we will determine "if the juice is worth the squeeze" as they say regarding this idea...
:cheers:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 12:10:26 PM by -pru- »

Offline moses

• New folks
« Reply #541 on: January 11, 2009, 05:49:13 PM »
moses from minnesota. this will be my first attempt at bonneville. looking at blowing my 1900 yamaha. always loved bikes and speed. cancer and a high speed rapid decelleration incident on my rocket III has given me a focus. have a world record in the worlds fastest non mechanised sport(skydiving) now want a land speed record. dont even have a rulebook yet. looking forward to seeing some of you on the salt. keeping the greasy side down. Moses

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #542 on: January 11, 2009, 06:36:59 PM »
Moses, welcome to the forum. The new SCTA rule books are at the printers and should be available soon, ECTA  I think should be ready as well. Be sure your build is SCTA as you stated you plan to run at Bonneville. Ask any questions and some one will steer you the right direction. Good luck on the project and looking forward to seeing you pass the timing trailer.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #543 on: January 11, 2009, 06:55:58 PM »
Unh, would you give me a hint?  What's a 1900 Yamaha.  I don't recognize it -- unless maybe it's one of their big-inch cruisers.

Whatever -- welcome to the group.  Where in Minnesota?  Way up north, maybe?  That'd be great -- someone that can understand that cold weather is okay.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline moses

• New folks
« Reply #544 on: January 11, 2009, 08:02:49 PM »
1900 pushrod v twin. Roadliner. I own a dyno so i know i puts out 90hp and 120ft.lbs@ the wheel. 126mph top speed against the rev limiter. stock engine,pump gas.would like to join the 130mph club too. Minn. well we are about 90 mi. south of the caniadian border. four feet of snow 25below zero.not ideal biking weather. we sit around and think of ways to go faster get there quicker and have the most fun doing it. wife and i have been talking about this bonneville trip for a while now. can i bring my dyno on the salt? its portable,on wheels.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #545 on: January 11, 2009, 09:07:04 PM »
I have seen MC dynos on the salt in the past. Most were in enclosed trailers. This protects them from the salt. There is information on the web site on preping to go to the salt. What to do, what to take and how to clean up afterwards. It is necessary reading for all new comers.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #546 on: January 11, 2009, 09:44:32 PM »
Pru, don't know the wheelbase of your racers class, make sure it is long enough, G lakester is 90 in minimum.  Look at the rulebook, lakester has one of the shortest vehicle requirement lists, but must comply with all safety.   Good luck with your quest, if you need lakester info, don't hesitate to ask.  I even know the guys that have the G/GL record, nice folks....  :roll:  :evil:

moses, welcome to LSR, go the the USFRA thread area and learn about 130 and 150 club.  Post any questions you have, everyone here is fairly helpful.  The salt loves electrical and electronic devices, might want to leave the dyno in town unless you are almost done with it...   :-o
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

-pru-

« Reply #547 on: January 11, 2009, 10:34:49 PM »
Pru, don't know the wheelbase of your racers class, make sure it is long enough, G lakester is 90 in minimum.  Look at the rulebook, lakester has one of the shortest vehicle requirement lists, but must comply with all safety.   Good luck with your quest, if you need lakester info, don't hesitate to ask.  I even know the guys that have the G/GL record, nice folks....  :roll:  :evil:

Thanks for the feedback!

Swift DB-1 Dimensions (inches)
Height           38.5
Length         158.0
Wheelbase     96.0
Track ~ Rear  60.0
Track ~ Front 58.0

My biggest question at the moment regards rollbar requirements. That is, as the car is currently configured, does the rollbar construction meet ECTC standards...

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #548 on: January 12, 2009, 12:37:43 AM »
Pru:  if you didn't know where to look, from the SCTA-BNI.org site, under Gas Lakesters:

G Bockscar Robert Steele 8/04 211.463

Oh, btw: Welcome!

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #549 on: January 12, 2009, 08:35:09 AM »
Pru, do you have pictures of the roll structure?  does the cockpit have an inner liner that will retain your limbs if the outer shell is compromised?  fire system?  Parachute?  I would send pictures to the ECTA technical folks and talk with them on the phone before you show up to the races.
To run on the salt, the easy start would be the USFRA 150 club(lets you go 159). Go to their website from the home page, read the rules, if you think you are there, it is the easy start on the salt for a race car.  You will also get to see all the other cars at World of Speed.  Ask questions in the USFRA section of this website.
Hey, break the G G/L record and you are in the 200MPH club...  :wink:
Stainless

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #550 on: January 12, 2009, 11:08:22 AM »
Moses:

Leave Aurora headed west on US 169.  turn left at Cohasset, right on US 10 at Detroit Lakes, follow it to Fargo-Moorhead, then take I-94 and I-90 to Bozeman.  Turn south/west there and head for Salt Lake City, then west on I-80 for two hours and viola, you're at Bonneville.  Three easy days of about 500 miles each.

See you on the Salt!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #551 on: January 12, 2009, 11:19:44 AM »
Seldom --

The 1900 was in sea-seas -- some kink of motorcicle measurement.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline moses

• New folks
« Reply #552 on: January 12, 2009, 12:53:46 PM »
ooh,  yes, cubic centimeters, a metric measurment.  many things to accomplish b4 sept.. one step at a time. looking for the proper turbo system right now. have to build one as no one manufactures one. just as good,just need info for calculating air volumes etc. never done this.yet. thanks SSS

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #553 on: January 12, 2009, 02:05:52 PM »
.... many things to accomplish b4 sept.. one step at a time. looking for the proper turbo system right now. have to build one as no one manufactures one. just as good,just need info for calculating air volumes etc. never done this.yet.

Moses, not to worry, we all did it for the first time the first time...  :roll:  :cheers:
Stainless

LittleLiner

« Reply #554 on: January 12, 2009, 02:17:04 PM »
My biggest question at the moment regards rollbar requirements. That is, as the car is currently configured, does the rollbar construction meet ECTC standards...

Unofficially speaking   . . .

Short answer - No.

Longer answer -  Once you get your hands on the rulebook you will see that the rollcage specs call for tubing that is probably larger in diameter and heavier walled than what you have in your SCCA car.  Plus the configuration of the cage is considerably different from what you have. 

All that said - for ECTA I suggest you contact Joe Timney or Keith Turk (see the ECTA web site for contact info at www.ecta-lsr.com).  Both men are highly respected (well at least Joe is  :-D) and very knowledgable - plus they are the final word on what is allowed to go down the track at Maxton.