Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2275278 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #510 on: January 03, 2009, 04:33:30 PM »
...............I think Kenny is the worlds fastest postman!.......

How fast?  We have been claiming that Hooley is the fastest mailman in Ok (253 mph), but have been afraid to make a national claim  8-),

Sum

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #511 on: January 03, 2009, 04:34:14 PM »
Bob:  You're close.  Nancy and I arrived on the Salt in 2001, for SpeedWeek.  I allow as to how I remember sometime early in my career out there, though, seeing Kenny Lyons bike(s) with the "Rider wanted" or "crew wanted" signs.  I used to wonder -- now I know.  As for "middling" success - Dan, I admit it -- I was shooting form the hip and trying to get the post sent before I had to leave the house and visit the big city (Marquette) for lunch with Nancy.  I sure meant no disrespect to K Lyons or anyone eslse -- was just trying to give that new fella a few shaft-drive conversion bikes to compare to his ideas.

Okay?  Am I forgiven, at least for a couple of minutes?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

bak189

« Reply #512 on: January 03, 2009, 04:40:51 PM »
O.K. SSS.......you are forgiven, but only for now.......

racin jason

« Reply #513 on: January 03, 2009, 06:12:28 PM »
Sum I stand corrected.

Kenny is the fastest: California postman in a streamliner, powered by a goldwing engine, using 2 litre pop bottles for intercooler spray at 233mph.

Use enough adjectives and anyone can be fast!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #514 on: January 03, 2009, 06:46:05 PM »

...using 2 litre pop bottles for intercooler spray ....

That's GOT to be worth a couple of pictures.   :-D

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #515 on: January 03, 2009, 06:54:35 PM »
Sum I stand corrected.

Kenny is the fastest: California postman in a streamliner, powered by a goldwing engine, using 2 litre pop bottles for intercooler spray at 233mph.

Use enough adjectives and anyone can be fast!

:-D  :-D  :-D That is why we don't go any further than Oklahoma, you never know how many fast mailmen might be out there :wink: ,

Sum

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #516 on: January 03, 2009, 07:09:33 PM »
I sure wish Hooley delivered my rule book every year................ :-D    Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #517 on: January 03, 2009, 08:17:12 PM »
Kenny Lyons has many rides on the salt, got smoked out one year on a return run and pulled the chute was way off course and missed going under the timing stand by a couple of feet. He stopped ok. Another time he went down in the liner was sliding on it's side and hit a battery that came into the cockpit and hit his face shield. He had a bad eye injury and that's another reason he wears a face shield
while on the salt. That was at a USFRA meet as I recall.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Yellow Chevy

« Reply #518 on: January 04, 2009, 05:16:03 PM »
Thanks for manning this site....great to have info on the place we love.  My husband and I have been making our trip to that salt for the last 5 years in our yellow '49 Chevy.  We have met more new friends in those 5 years on the salt then we ever expected.  The first year a guy named Garry Banta and his side kick Ray Moody took us under their wing, showed us how much fun and thrills could be had, if you knew a few tricks from the vets.  To this day we are in touch with our salt pals and look forward to seeing them each August.
  We have a few conections to the racers but lets just say it is the friendship and love of the racing that draws us to drive 20 hours to reach the Salt Flats from our home in British Columbia.
  This year the Chevy will be staying home and we will make the trip in our '32 roadster that will be rolling out this spring.  See you all on the salt.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #519 on: January 04, 2009, 05:21:14 PM »
Welcome to the site -- right back at you.  Yellow '49 Chevy, hunh?  I don't remember it for sure -- but I do recognize the fun you've found at Bonneville.  We're glad to have you on this site now -- and please feel free to stop by it anytime to see what's going on.

Only a 20-hour ride to Bville?  You must live right close by.  Nancy and I make the trip in 3 days, about 12 hours of driving each.  1900 miles or so.  We try to make the trip only two or three times a year, flying the other times we decide to visit.  Be careful -- this stuff is addicting, as you've already discovered, and you'll end up with callouses on your hineys from sitting in the car on the way to the Salt.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #520 on: January 04, 2009, 05:34:58 PM »
Jon,
How many days to Maxton for you?

Joe

Yellow Chevy

« Reply #521 on: January 04, 2009, 05:38:10 PM »
Jon,
  Thanks for the welcome.  I am trying to upload a picture of the Chev but am having trouble with it...will keep trying unless there is a trick to it ??

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #522 on: January 04, 2009, 06:51:49 PM »
Joe, we usually make the trip in a pair of days.  Drive to northern Ohio -- Akron or thereabouts - the first day, then to Lovely Laurinburg the second.  On the way home we leave the track mid-afternoon Sunday and drive to Wytheville, the next day to Flint, Michigan or so, then get home mid- to late afternoon Tuesday.

Yellow:  Trying to get the photo into your avatar or into the post?  If the post -- you've tried, I assume, clicking on "additional options" on the lower left portion of the post form, right?  Don't forget the photo has to be less than 500k.  If the avatar -- well, I forget just now -- but there are probably restrictions there, too. 

Another way is to put the photo into one of the internet photo holding sites -- Flikr or photobucket, for example, then click on the "img" button to copy it into your post.  Let us know -- and somebody will give you more help.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Yellow Chevy

« Reply #523 on: January 04, 2009, 07:56:43 PM »
Okay that took me way longer then I am sure it should have but I did it ! 

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #524 on: January 04, 2009, 08:03:02 PM »
Okay -- nice, I think, but so small -- so small that it's time to post a full-size photo so we can all see and maybe even remember the car.  Set a timer -- see how long it takes to post the big picture.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com