Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2274824 times)

racin jason

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #495 on: January 02, 2009, 11:44:53 PM »
Friday1(Mark?) welcome.

I believe you have seen the rear end of my pro mod before! ahdra #223  LBP/Ainsworth 2004 and 2005.

Congrats on the 7.9 record. I think Doug rode the 8.06 in 2005 in ohio? I can't remember.
Doug and i sold the bike to Jr Pippin in 2006.

Jason.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #496 on: January 03, 2009, 01:56:04 AM »
Jason,

Small World,

You owned the bike that Steve was the Crew chief on or was that the years before..?

J

racin jason

« Reply #497 on: January 03, 2009, 02:26:17 AM »
Jason,

Small World,

You owned the bike that Steve was the Crew chief on or was that the years before..?

J

Not quite. I owned the bike that set the class records in 2005. I took delivery of the bike from Kurt Matte at Bonneville speedweek in 2003. There's still some salt on that bike!
Kosman chassis s+s pro stock 120 in engine with Jesel valvetrain. We missed the points championship in 2005 by a couple rounds. Our rider had a cruise with family and we missed one race that cost us the championship.  Mark and crew were great racers going fast with small money. Our crew was a different story!

Offline Friday1

• New folks
« Reply #498 on: January 03, 2009, 11:06:12 AM »
Hey Jason, How have you been? I remember you for sure. Is Doug still racing? Mark and I had a messy divorce in 2007. It was best that I move on. I enjoyed racing with you guys and Jr's crew also. I have not been to the track since Ohio 2007. But the racing fire is still burning inside. I can remember reading about the SCTA and Bonneville in Hot Rod Magazine when I was a kid. Mickey Thompson was my hero in those days with Challenger1. I am looking at maybe a Honda Valkerie or Gold Wing as a donor chassis. Power by a 1.9 VW TDI motor. I will have to multiply revs with an intermediate primary chain setup between the motor and tranny. Prolly lay the motor on its side like the liquid cooled BMW so the crank centerline will be opposite the drivshaft centerline. Intermediate primary chain or belt inside of a aluminum case to get the revs back to where they were for the gas motor. Dry sump oil system in place too. I doubt if there is a ring and pinion to suit the slow revving diesel. So far this project is just on yellow tablet paper, but long hours driving 18 wheeler give you time to think.  Hope you had a great holiday. What are you doing these days? I remember you had been to Bonneville but can't remember what you raced. Good to hear from you, Rick "Friday" Gunther in Ohio
Black bikes are faster

Offline Friday1

• New folks
« Reply #499 on: January 03, 2009, 11:08:54 AM »
I want to be reincarnated as the pole in the PO-LYMPICS.
Black bikes are faster

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #500 on: January 03, 2009, 12:07:41 PM »
Rick --

Welcome.  I'm Seldom Seen Slim, a/k/a Jon, and I'm the guy that owns the site.  That and $5 will get you coffee at Starbucks (according to Stainless -- I've never been in a Starbucks).

Okay -- to stuff.  I've got a few photos stored in here, someplace, showing the Gold Wing that's been adapted (if that's the right word) for LSR.  Ah, poo, what's his name?  The guy uses lady riders, wears a welding shield to protect his eyes -- can't think of the name.  Anyway, he's been taking various bikes to the Salt as long as I've been there -- usually with middling success (not many records, not many crashes).  He uses a pair of Gold Wing rear ends, if I remember -- the front one hooked to the engine, through a 90-degree drive at the rear gears, to another swingarm and drive to the rear wheel.

Then there's a guy that has a BMW stretched -- with 90-degree gearbox and chain drive to the back wheel.  Let's see what you come up with.  I expect someone will help me with photos and names for the bikes I've mentioned here.

Whatever -- gotta go to town for a while.  Later. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #501 on: January 03, 2009, 12:25:44 PM »
Rick,

Welcome to LSR and "landracing.com".

I'm a car guy and and don't know much about Motorcycles. I do love watching the NHRA Pro Stock motorcycle races. Amazing performance.

I have a question for the 2 (& 3) wheels guys to answer. I believe that in the Motorcycle classes that a Motorcycle engine or engines are required. I looked at the Rule Book and only became more confused (and I thought the Car stuff was confusing). Some class requirements specifically stated M/C engines only, others a little more vague.

There are "Busa" engines being used in a couple of Roadster classes and a bunch of discussion on that, but I thought the opposite was not true.

Come on "bike guys" help me out, or is the engine Rick wants to use OK?

Tom

dwarner

« Reply #502 on: January 03, 2009, 12:41:51 PM »
We had this discussion a while back. ANY engine is OK in streamliner and streamline sidecar class.

DW

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #503 on: January 03, 2009, 12:53:34 PM »
........or in Time Only ?...............
Bob Drury

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #504 on: January 03, 2009, 01:06:01 PM »
You can run a non motorcycle engine(helicopter,boat, airplane,lawnmower, etc.) in two classes. UG and UF and only in streamliner and sidecar streamliner class. P, M, MPS, A, APS, SC all must run motorcycle engines.
Sheri Buchta

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #505 on: January 03, 2009, 01:06:34 PM »
Kenny Lyons is the Goldwing guy and lives in So. Cal.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

racin jason

« Reply #506 on: January 03, 2009, 01:16:15 PM »
Here you go Rick.  bmw diesel engine in a bike. It ran at BUB's;

http://www.thecrucible.org/about/diemoto.html

Sorry to hear about the split. Doug and I took a couple years off of the drag deal. we are headed out with  2 turbo hayabusas to race local tracks in BC and washington.

See you on the salt. stop by impound and say hi.

j.

bak189

« Reply #507 on: January 03, 2009, 04:15:35 PM »
Kenny Lyons has been racing on the salt longer then I can remember......back in the "old" days we all stayed together at the Patio Motel and worked on our equipment in the rooms.
Prior to using Honda equipment he had some very fast Harleys........he was one of the first to build a V-4cyl. Harley (2 engines side by side)
If I recall he got it to run around 180mph (remember this was about 30 years ago) Kenny also ran a Honda powered M/C liner for a couple
of year with great success.......he is one of the
"old salts" and certainly one of my "Hero's"
Kenny has had more than "middling sucess" in all his years of racing and does have many records.....but then I must remember that SSS
is new to the sport so his knowledge goes back
maybe 6 years??????

dwarner

« Reply #508 on: January 03, 2009, 04:22:36 PM »
A simple glance at the records would reveal more than "middeling" sucess.

DW

racin jason

« Reply #509 on: January 03, 2009, 04:29:29 PM »
Kenny is Bonneville. He would show up with his honda streamliner at the start of speedweek with no crew.
we would drive past kenny's van and it would have a "crew wanted " sign hanging on it. By the end of the week Kenny would be in impound with his new crew and his liner.

I think Kenny is the worlds fastest postman!