Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2275695 times)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #480 on: December 29, 2008, 08:50:29 PM »
Robert,

Please stop talking to the noobs...!  Oh wait I cannot even talk to you as your supreme title is one of the highest...Global Moderator.. :-o

dwarner

« Reply #481 on: December 29, 2008, 08:59:27 PM »
Stainless,

You beat me to the story about the new guy who went from post #1 to #terra-billion in three days.

DW

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #482 on: December 29, 2008, 09:55:48 PM »
Robert,

Please stop talking to the noobs...!  Oh wait I cannot even talk to you as your supreme title is one of the highest...Global Moderator.. :-o

That and $5 still gets you a small coffee at Starbucks...  :|
how many days till speedweek?  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline dickj

« Reply #483 on: December 29, 2008, 11:29:28 PM »
Gees, John N, that's why I posted in the "Introduce Yourself" Forum:  so I'd only talk to my own kind.   :-D

Thanks for the clarification, Stainless.  I fully understand that post count does not always show you know something.  I was just wondering how the "ranks" were determined.  I have enjoyed LSR for quite a while and was very thankful when Jon Amo started this website and am greatful for the other Jon (from way up North) for keeping it alive. I've sold spare parts, bought needed parts, and gotten a lot of badly needed advice through this site.  DickJ

mojomann

« Reply #484 on: December 30, 2008, 03:49:36 PM »
Hello All, I'm Joe Burakowski, mojomann@rochester.rr.com  . I'm just beginning to find my way late in life to LSR. I'm 62 years old, living in Alexander, NY, which is in upstate New York,  I've been a wannabe gearhead all my life, but have not been able to do much of anything recreational until recently.  I couldn't even start a project without a place to work on one, so I'm about 80% done with a forty foot diameter, two story,octagon shaped garage. Along with that I'm starting a '51 Ford F1 pickup that I would like to make an interesting driver. Now, if it's going to be interesting, I kind of feel that it should be a decent performing machine and I have been looking for some way to quantify that aspect. 
      Since I am new to the site and the subject, I have no idea if Loring is a reality or still in the gestation stage. I also have been surfing the ECTA site and  think that  Maxton is geographically a good way to get my feet wet. Can someone please tell me if the rulebooks for the various venues are similar? I have not done anything since my early twenties in circle tracks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 11:40:50 AM by mojomann »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #485 on: December 31, 2008, 09:10:50 AM »
Mojo, welcome to LSR. you have until Sept to have it ready for the 130 club... 130 in a mile on the salt is not really an easy task.... but it is a great place to start on a budget.  See the rules on the USFRA site linked from the home page of this site.  :cheers:
See ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #486 on: December 31, 2008, 03:20:22 PM »
Mojo ... the ECTA is a really good bunch of people. With or without a ride I recommend you make the trip to Maxton and that will set you on the road to land speed for sure. We are not really competitors but more like friends that compete together. Hope you can find the garage under the snow .... Joe

Offline Friday1

• New folks
Introduce Yourself
« Reply #487 on: January 02, 2009, 07:59:25 PM »
I am a retired(well I have a retirement fund but still working)heavy duty truck mechanic. Thirty years with the Toledo Fire Div is about ten years too long. So I raced 150 mph go-karts for four years using 125cc Honda road race bike motor and trans. I got hooked up with another guy who was a very good driver and wanted to drive a shifter kart. I later found out he could destroy anything I or anyone else could build! I kept karts under him for a while but it was too much work I had amassed some good tools in this quest-TIG welder, MIG welder, Smithy mill-driil-lathe and alot of tooling. It was the late 90's and we decided to go dragracing. We purchased a Pro Mod dragbike chassis. The Pro Mod was the ultimate goal and it took about four long years to get it on the track. I retired in '03 and we opened a hi performance bike shop with a chassis dyno and full machine shop and fab services. We found that we had the wrong plenum and transmission for the 120" S & S motor and our first four outings were a bog-fest but we went faster than the nat record and we finally got the launch right with a new manifold, carbs and tranny. We were the shoestring team in Pro Mod All Harley Dragrace competition. A fourteen foot single axle trailer with a solar panel and inverter was a dead giveaway amongst the $300,000 multilevel elevator equipped race trailers. Money is great when you are racing but dedication is worth more. We finished third in the Pro Mod-now called Pro Stock class. We were the first Pro Stock into the 7's, 7.98 in March, 2007 at Gainsville. We raced four seasons all together but different goals put an end to our partnership. I built a polebarn at and moved my machinery home. I do some work for bike shops, a few race teams and local racers but am not going into another partnership anytime soon!! So I have always had a facination with diesels. I want to build a diesel powered motorcycle that is fast. I have a plan and think it would be possible. I ride a turbocharged Harley Road King on the street. It is about 170 hp/tq. I know the Hayabusa guys are laffin' right now but with an antiquated pushrod motor that is alot of power. I drive an 18 wheeler in the winter and aquad axle dump truck in the summer. Anyhow...that's my story and I am sticking to it.

p
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 08:01:12 PM by Friday1 »
Black bikes are faster

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #488 on: January 02, 2009, 08:25:21 PM »
Welcome Friday, always good to see another bike guy. We never laugh at anyone :roll:, well almost never. Keep us informed about your project.  Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #489 on: January 02, 2009, 09:19:37 PM »
Don't you believe it Friday....they laugh at everybody and everything....well, almost everything!!  Welcome to the forum.  There is unlimited experience and knowledge in this humble site, so don't hesitate to ask questions, share builds, exchange ideas, or just make some silly remark, like I'm doing now.

Glad you could come to the playground, remember, no spitting and no cussing, well, the cussing won't work because Big Daddy has that fixed!! Anyway, welcome!!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #490 on: January 02, 2009, 09:30:55 PM »
Most of the working guys are waiting for Friday.... for us retired types it is always Saturday.

Welcome Friday, you should have come here sooner, we could have hooked you up with SuperKaz and you could have been #1. 

I'm thinking you need to build a Blown Vrod, for the competition next year.  There is a small female rider with lots of experience that might ride for you.... Deb?
Stainless

Offline Freud

« Reply #491 on: January 02, 2009, 09:59:47 PM »
Friday, just remember........be the second fastest truck on the highway and u won't get as many tickets. The same principle works as long as you are in a new race environment. When you know what your competition can do, then, if possible,  pull out and pass them,

Have fun with this lovely group of racers. They give a lot....both, crap and good advice.

Keep a low level and a lot of patience and we will see you in the record books. But be warned...sometimes that front truck is hard to pass, even if you decided you had to.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Friday1

• New folks
« Reply #492 on: January 02, 2009, 10:13:10 PM »
Thanks guys for all the advice. I have been around racers all my life and know them to be a great group of folks. The spirit of hotrodding is alive and well in the ranks of LSR racers. Friday
Black bikes are faster

saltfever

« Reply #493 on: January 02, 2009, 11:20:57 PM »
(snip . . . )I'm sure it must be based on number of posts, or time on line, but I was wondering where the breaks are.  Anybody know?  Dick J
Dick, the first break from a newbie to a full member comes at the 100th post. Don't know about the others. Content (quality) is far more important than bs (quantity).  :wink:

dwarner

« Reply #494 on: January 02, 2009, 11:32:11 PM »
"I built a polebarn..."

Is that a place where strippers practice? If so I WANT one.

DW