Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2275274 times)

Offline wilcox garage

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #450 on: December 17, 2008, 12:41:55 AM »
   Yet another newbie, I began getting the salt bug while reading about Bonneville in the pages of hot rod magazine. In the winter of 02 after reading about Tony Thacker and Jimmy Shine diving there street roadster to the salt and driving it home ,I knew I was going. I didn't know who was going with me or Ware I was staying but I just knew I was going. In the spring of 05 my wife gave me a birthday present that would start a new chapter of my motorsports addiction , a Pollyform 1929 roadster body. After studdying the rule book we picked a class D/BSTR little did we know that a year later the same roadster I read about in HOT ROD would change engine class and be going after the same record we were building our car around. In 07 with a lot of help from family and friends we finally made the trip with our car , after a lot of challenges of building a car from scratch we made it and had the time of a lifetime. There are a few pictures on my brothers web site feel free to check it out at www.wilcoxgarage.com                                                                                                         thanks , Mark
Mark Wilcox,
142 D/BSTR  record qualifier 2011 219.935
182 D/BGMMP record holder 2019 215.798

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #451 on: December 17, 2008, 01:13:34 AM »
Mark,

Welcome to the best landspeed racing website anywhere!!

I was going to call BS on the 849 hp from just 249ci until I read it properly...a little blown action very nice and looks like a nice build...if you have more pictures as you were building it you should post them here on the build section here on the site..

Welcome again.

J

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #452 on: December 17, 2008, 01:54:32 AM »
Mark,

Welcome to the best landspeed racing website anywhere!!

I was going to call BS on the 849 hp from just 249ci until I read it properly...a little blown action very nice and looks like a nice build...if you have more pictures as you were building it you should post them here on the build section here on the site..

Welcome again.

J
Thanks John , yea we put a little boot to it with an f2 procharger, but it is a 291" sbc.I will post some pictures when i figure that whole picture posting thing out. i am not very computer savvy.
Mark Wilcox,

Offline bbford97

• New folks
« Reply #453 on: December 17, 2008, 07:53:50 AM »
Newbie Semi retired. Would like some direction to get info, not interested in reinventing the wheel. My toy is a 2004 mustang Mach 1. The most important issue with me is to arrive alive and let the speed be what it is then improve on that. The only requirement is the car needs to be a DD and I would like to get as close to 200 mph as I can. I have talked to some engine builders and get “oh yes we can do it all, you just need our twin turbo or our super duper super charger for only $$$$”. I can live with most any suspension mods I'm just not interested in a time bomb for an engine. Any help like links, formal or informal clubs, proven builders of mustangs, or some one that would share some knowledge. Home is Knoxville, TN
Thanks Gary

Offline alnapier

• New folks
« Reply #454 on: December 17, 2008, 08:40:22 AM »
Greetings  :-)

Figured that I would follow protocol and say hi.  I'm a crew guy on a nostalgia funny car team and a closet LSR fan who digs bellytank cars.  Hope youse guys don't mind me hanging out here a little.

Al in CT

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #455 on: December 17, 2008, 09:57:24 AM »
Welcome to the addiction guys, if you were in CA you could go to meetings....  :|

Gary, if you think it will do 135 right now, run it in the 130 club during WOS, read the rules on the USFRA link in the front page.  I say this because I figure you don't have a roll cage in it since it is not currently a race car.  If it has a cage read the 150 club rules.  In the mean time get a rule book, read it a dozen times, look for a class you can build to and remember you have to build to the record, not how fast you plan to go.

Al, come to the salt and hang out, you will be out of the closet and into the fray...

Mark, welcome, nice ride, Bob, I wish I could say the same to you...  :roll: 

:cheers: guys, see ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #456 on: December 17, 2008, 10:08:21 AM »
Bob, Gary, Mark & Al,  welcome to the forum. You will find yourselves spending a lotof time here. Hope all of you can meet you goals and get salt fever. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #457 on: December 17, 2008, 10:50:25 AM »
Mark,

I had a case of fat fingers or my eyes were in the wrong holes...I saw 291 I just entered 249.. :-D

Welcome anyway no matter how big the engine is..if you need help posting pictures it is easy..much easier than I thought..

If you need help let me know.

J

Offline ScottBetts

• New folks
« Reply #458 on: December 17, 2008, 10:58:47 AM »
hi all  my name is scott betts and i have recently began  an odd facination with this sport.  now i need some help to point me in the right direction. where can i order a rules book or get a class listings.  i have a 2 liter turbocharged 4 cylinder out of a previous race car of mine and would like to build something to put it in and see what she will run but have no ideas where to start.  any help is appreciated   thanks

LVMAXX

« Reply #459 on: December 17, 2008, 11:04:59 AM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 10:25:31 AM by LVMAXX »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #460 on: December 17, 2008, 11:07:05 AM »
Scott, scta link on the home page will get you there, welcome and good luck
see ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #461 on: December 17, 2008, 06:22:55 PM »
Hey -- I see that Bob Clancy is on duty.  I've been having him do website work for our personal site for a good while -- and after the past few days of goofy Simca happening here I asked him to back me up with technical work...  He's found, for instance, that the personal information avatar photo-thingie wasn't turned "on", so that has been changed -- now you should be able to make it work correctly.  Part of his "job" will be to try to respond when you find a fault in the way the system is working (not when you find fault with what someone says -- that's YOUR OWN problem to solve).  If something doesn't work right -- let me know with a post or a PM.  I don't want to promise that Bob will spend any particular amount of time babysitting this site -- he does have a life -- so if there's a problem and you post it and nothing happens -- well, that's why I ask you to send the note to me and I'll send the request to Bob.

Now the bad part -- Bob works on websites for a living, and that means I'll get a bill for hours worked by him each month.  And I pay those bills from the Paypal account that's the recipient of funds sent to the "Donate Here" button on the front page of this site.  Please consider sending in a donation here and there to help me have Bob keep the site as close to 100% functional as he and I and you all can make it.

Thanks, boys and girls,  Now back to our regularly scheduled program.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #462 on: December 17, 2008, 08:36:42 PM »
Hi all and welcome to the newbies!  Just wanted to mention to Gary that he would also be able to run with ECTA (East Coast Timing Ass'n) out here on the east coast in Maxton, NC which shouldn't be a bad haul from Knoxville.   I have had this 'illness' for a year now and there is no cure.  Only medication I have found was to transition my Miata from road course runner to a straight liner and run at Maxton.  I added a little salt to my diet by going to WoS and running for the 130 club thanks to Carl, the professor, who felt sympathy for my and offered up a ride!  Thanks again Carl if you read this column!   :cheers:

Look forward to seeing old friends and the new guys at Maxton and at Speed Week in '09!

If I can remember my paypal password I will try to help out there Slim.

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #463 on: December 18, 2008, 12:21:00 AM »
Milton,

Your paypal password is "Miata" from what I remember... :-D

if that is not correct then try Maxton.... :evil:

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #464 on: December 18, 2008, 01:04:51 AM »
Ok I give up I will have to ask , how do i post pictures ?
Mark Wilcox,