Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267098 times)

Offline sandbum

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #435 on: November 28, 2008, 02:41:08 PM »
Hi all I have been going to Bonneville for the last 3 years and each year I get more and more interested! I make a very poor spectator. so I am trying to decide what I could run to get started. I have several toy's that could be converted to run on the salt or El mirage. I live in carson city Nevada so I am kind of in the middle of both.    Bob

Offline foxstang

• New folks
« Reply #436 on: December 04, 2008, 12:04:17 AM »
New guy out on the east coast, here to soak up info be doing alot of read. Probably wont see me much (everyone hates the new guy asking all the questions). Anyway, look forward to reading up.

Offline Geo

« Reply #437 on: December 04, 2008, 12:37:17 AM »
sandbum and foxstang,

Welcome to the coolest (hottest) LSR site on the web.  This place is full of great people and a few fantabulous ones too.

Ask questions and take the answers with a grain of salt.  I would like to hear more of your thoughts on the ride you are planning.

Geo

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #438 on: December 04, 2008, 12:52:36 AM »
New guy out on the east coast, here to soak up info be doing alot of read. Probably wont see me much (everyone hates the new guy asking all the questions). Anyway, look forward to reading up.

Foxstang,

Post your questions...we like the fresh meat during the winter months.. :cheers:

Seriously, please post/ask any questions just don't listen to Kaz unless you have a V-rod related question.. 8-)

John

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #439 on: December 04, 2008, 02:36:57 AM »
and by the way Kaz blows his junk up he doesnt know the answers eithor...
kent

Offline Mike

• New folks
« Reply #440 on: December 04, 2008, 08:44:00 AM »
Hey all
'Nother newbie here.
I've been fascinated/obsessed about salt racing for probably the past 6-10 years although I've never been myself. I prefer the 'open' type of racing it is. Engineering at it's best and engines that are allowed to run free!
For years I've wanted to go. Never found anyone willing to take a stowaway with a big cooler so I've decided to take my quest into my own hands. I'm primarily here to gain information so that my first time out I keep myself out of trouble by learning from you experienced guys.
I work at an engine shop out here on the east coast although I was born and raised in Wash. The State. School instructor has a friend in a fuel roadster, a guy down the street had a coupe, the guys 30 miles from our old home has a pretty nice streamliner.
My goals are naturally for the BIG 2. I'm planning on doing it with a D/StR. If I can get my grand dad's body tuned up enough, the 'ol '30 will be doing the work.

thanks all
Mike

Offline foxstang

• New folks
« Reply #441 on: December 04, 2008, 04:58:15 PM »
sandbum and foxstang,

Welcome to the coolest (hottest) LSR site on the web.  This place is full of great people and a few fantabulous ones too.

Ask questions and take the answers with a grain of salt.  I would like to hear more of your thoughts on the ride you are planning.

Geo
Foxstang,

Post your questions...we like the fresh meat during the winter months.. :cheers:

Seriously, please post/ask any questions just don't listen to Kaz unless you have a V-rod related question.. 8-)

John

Ok, well you guys dont seem to be that bad :mrgreen:

Here is a better intro...

I have no experience other than always being interested in the sport (i guess you could call it).
I have great big grand plans in my head i will hash a little out here...
I've owned my 90 GT now for about 6yrs, before that my father bought it new (pretty cool). Its gone through so many changes i dont know what the hell i was thinking, haha. First in 04 i put a 100 shot on it and drove it on the dragstrip some, realizing that with it as my only car=bad idea. Took the gas off and sold it. About 2years later i put a single turbo on the car (pre-bought kit) eventually ended up scrapping that idea after messing up the stock trans(stock motor still too). Ended up making 378/491 on a dyno(12psi). Then the craziness ensued. I rebuild damn near everything on the car with no prior experience on doing any of it. I'll post a link at the bottom with pictures everyone can look at. Few highlights...10pt cage, forged 358w, high port heads, f-cam, twin 57mm turbos, a/w intercooler (btw anyone looking for a a/w intercooler should check out chiseled perf. awesome work and guy), FAST XFI ecu, tko600 trans, twin diskclutch, blah blah blah. Was very fun to build and i ended up getting it runnin back in the summer of 07. Then realized it was not want i wanted and the little bit of debt i had was not worth it, took the entire car apart and sold the parts. Never even turned up the boost past 13psi, which was evil power. My best guess is at 9psi it was putting down about 550, 13psi should have been about 650 with more tq. Regardless, took it all apart, not what i wanted.
So we are where i am at now, with this...

Here is a link to all the pictures of the build http://www.fourhorsemenperformance.com/photos/

Had it forsale ever since parting it out, so it's been sitting for about a year. It's still here and has given me some time to think, i dont really want to sell it. I know it inside and out, cant say that about anything else i would buy.

So back to why i am here, Living in North Carolina we have the maxton mile. Well i want to look into turning the 90 GT into a record breaking car. the plans i have running around in my head go something like this...

4.6 DOHC, twin-turbo, pump gas
6speed
IRS(independent rear suspension)
The rest i am leaving up to the class rules and mph rules.

I want to take a shot at pushing it into the 200mph zone. So i want to build the car to rules of 200+, even if it doesnt make it, piece of mind going 180mph would be REALLY nice.

What i have found so far is that i will be in the "D" class, but the rest i cant figure out(got to buy a rules book).

Body modifications? Changes class?
Cage?
Wheels?
Hell anything anyone wants to say or see in this, at this point its an idea that i will move on soon.

I'm graduating this month with my masters, moving, getting a job(i hope), house, marriage, all that is soon, so this is kind of a backburner item for now that i will take the time to plan out.

and this is my A-B car right now...for sale also, but changing my mind on it also, go figure? haha.

There you go. cheers if you read all that  :cheers:

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #442 on: December 04, 2008, 08:08:12 PM »
Stang,

Your A-B car is more aero and would run the number mush easier IMO than the older stang..

And again welcome to the best site around ! ! !

J

Offline foxstang

• New folks
« Reply #443 on: December 04, 2008, 09:32:26 PM »
Stang,

Your A-B car is more aero and would run the number mush easier IMO than the older stang..

And again welcome to the best site around ! ! !

J

Well yea, but i cant do something the easy way, theres no fun in that  :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #444 on: December 04, 2008, 11:08:42 PM »
it is when you are trying to fool mother AERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #445 on: December 05, 2008, 09:46:26 AM »
Having been there with a Production class car, the Mustang, even the new ones are quite poor in the AERO department.  If you are starting from scratch I would recommend looking at a body shape that is better/smaller.  I haven't been afraid of doing things the hard way either, but after doing it and thinking back it would have been easier, starting with a smaller car.
I raced a 87 Merkur F/PS.  It is 21 square feet.  Same as Mustang, and Tbird.  When I chose it, it was the most aero car ford had as a front engine rear drive, but there are lots of options for you.  Especially since you are into turbo motors, the Mustang will be in one of the modified classes.
Smaller is better. 
Cougar (Late front wheel drive model)
Probe
etc etc

Welcome to our community
I hope you enjoy
Rick

elwood blues

« Reply #446 on: December 07, 2008, 04:38:40 PM »
   Hi Eli here,
  I've been going to the salts since I was about 15 never raced out there but I'm looking to change that with my 78 moto guzzi v1000. I'm looking to run in the M-PG class 1000cc. I was a former member of the Sidewinders SCTA club but I have moved to Boise Id after getting out of the Navy.

Offline Johntsi

« Reply #447 on: December 10, 2008, 11:05:45 AM »
Well I have been going with Mike Reichen and his Evo to all the Maxton events and finally decided to build a car to run this year.  I will be adapting a lot of stuff over from my drag car and learning from Mike's trips to try to make my life easier.  Car will be a AWD 92 eagle talon 2.0L motor gt4202r turbo making somewhere in the area of 900-1000 AWHP.  I look forward to learning from everyone here and seeing some of you back at Maxton again.

Offline oldracer19

• Plan B Racing
« Reply #448 on: December 16, 2008, 04:20:38 PM »
My name is Dave Branstetter.  Starting to feel the possible affects of salt fever coming on...

Have been racing dirt short tracks in Indiana for several years, most recently in a modified.  I have an interest in racing on the salt, but haven't settled on a particular class yet.  Thinking maybe of doing the 130/150 club, to get familiar with how things are done. 

Would love to connect with others in Indiana who could offer guidance on getting started.
"because plan A never works"

trialsguy

« Reply #449 on: December 16, 2008, 10:11:19 PM »
Yo, my name is Bob Clancy, and I'm a friend of Jon Wennerberg's from a different (motorcycle) group.  I'm new to landspeed racing, and find it pretty interesting.  A neat combination of goforit and engineering.

My current sport is motorcycle trials..... yup, the rockhoppers that spend half their time not moving at all!  So what am I doing here?

Well, my education and past has been quite varied, but I managed to graduate in mechanical engineering... and ended up doing web sites for a living.  Go figger. I was helping Jon with is personal site  http://www.nancyandjon.org/ and when he took over landracing.com, I was lucky enough to be there.

FWIW, I did my Army time at Dugway Proving Grounds, just south of Bonneville......

So here I go testing the site, I think I'll try and post a photo.

Yup, that's me getting stomped.  Again.

This is gonna be fun,
Bob