Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2275050 times)

Offline badcoupe34

• New folks
    • Street Rod Steve
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #405 on: November 02, 2008, 08:42:36 AM »
Hi, my name is Steve Van Blarcom. I am new to the Landracing site, so I guess I am a "Newbie". My friends gave me the nickname of Street Rod Steve as I am very involved with cars and bikes and I am the president of The Connecticut Street Rod Association. I am not new to the world however as I will turn 60 years old this year. I presently own about 15 or 16 cars and (I think) 5 motorcycles. You can see most of them on my website, www.streetrodsteve.com

I retired five years ago and finally got the time to go to Bonneville to witness what I had dreamed about ever since I was a kid. I always considered Bonneville the Holy Grail of Land Speed Racing. Many years ago I did some roundy round stuff and then went on to Drag Racing. I had never tried Land Speed Racing and it was on my "Bucket List". I had a fellow CSRA club member that had gone to Bonneville and helped out the 608 Lakester team one year. His friend, Rob, was also tied in with another team, the 1986 Dripps and Gibby Roadster. He wanted to do a slide show for the club so we did it in my shop. Right then and there I made up my mind that I would be in Bonneville that year to tow the 1986 car up and down the salt. I towed it with my 1946 Pontiac Convertible, street rod. Well, needless to say, I was hooked. When I got back that year, I knew I had to have a car and started to plan a build. It had to be a roadster or a coupe in street rod style. It didn't take long to realize that I could never build a car that would compete in the 200 MPH class and get it done for the following year. My friend, Rob, told me that he thought the Thacker and Shine Roadster might be for sale. I contacted Tony Thacker and Jimmy Shine and struck up a deal. I went to El Mirage and got involved with them to run the car up there, then we shipped it back east to me. I picked the car up at the ECTA meet in Maxton, NC. and drove it for my first time there. In that one weekend, (with the help of a lot of friends) I managed to learn how to drive the car, attained "B" license status, and broke the record three times in the D/BSTR class. Do you think it was one of the best weekends of my life?
I have now been to Bonneville twice with the car and Maxton many times. I have gotten into Impound twice in Bonneville, but failed the backup both times. I have managed to rebuild the car from one end to the other but still keep it as near to the Thacker and Shine Roadster that it always will be. We hold three records with it at ECTA and will be back to Bonneville in 2009 to try again there.
That is it from me for an introduction, I hope to get on this site on a regular basis to keep up with the news.
Street Rod Steve   
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 08:48:33 AM by badcoupe34 »

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #406 on: November 02, 2008, 01:32:10 PM »
Welcome Steve.  You've joined the greatest forum ever offered.  There is so much knowledge contained within this site, it will make your head spin!  I'll look forward to seeing you on the salt in August!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline willieworld

« Reply #407 on: November 02, 2008, 01:52:37 PM »
welcome steve

lynda i cant think of a better way to start the day at bonneville than seeing you    willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #408 on: November 02, 2008, 02:54:52 PM »
Ahhhh! I bet you say that to all the girls!  You sweet thing you!  :-o  I'm ready for Speedweek!  Got my pucker all fixed up an' ever'thang!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline voodooracer

• New folks
« Reply #409 on: November 04, 2008, 06:14:28 PM »
 Hello to all. My name is Keith LeBlanc, a transplanted Cajun residing in North Augusta, SC.
 Been a big fan of LSR since watching Craig Breedlove on the old Wide World of Sports when just a kid and have spent most of the last 20-odd years dragracing motorcycles.
 Am determined to go to B-ville before shuffling off this mortal coil.
I can never think of something clever to say until it's too late.

Offline promachine

« Reply #410 on: November 05, 2008, 01:19:23 PM »
Hey Steve, looks like both of us could use a lttle luck next year on the salt. :cheers:
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

Offline NJ 03Mach1

• New folks
  • PA Hillclimber/ Daily Driver
    • EastCoastStang
« Reply #411 on: November 06, 2008, 09:37:37 PM »
Thought I'd jump in and say hello. Been looking at attending a Land Speed event, and finally found this forum.

My name is Adam 31 years old from NJ. Communications maintainer with NJ Transit...

Reformed Street Racer and 1/4mi guy, now a hill climber nut when in season & Road Course cruiser when I can.

I race with the PA Hill Climb Series, which are level 4 SCCA Time Trial events, you can check out some videos if your interested @ Youtube.com/NJ03Mach1. The series consists of 9 races, 2 in W.Va 1 in Md. and the rest in PA. Just completed my "rookie" season and loved every pass I made. Looking to possibly attend and make some passes @ Maxton next season so I'm searching out what I need for safety and requirements to see if I need more, or need to change what I have... Not looking to set any records, just come out meet some people and have some fun. At 31 I'm one of the younger crowd in the hill climb series, but please don't mistake it for lack of knowledge. I've been around cars (Mustangs mostly) since I was young. Everything from regular street cars, to helping out crew with 1700hp SSO cars and everything in between.

My ride would be my Daily Driven 03 Mach 1 seen below. Big list of mods, so I won't put it until asked what's done.

2 quick shot's of the car for some eye candy, video's if your interested of the hills can be seen @ youtube.com/NJ03Mach1  :cheers:

Offline Freud

« Reply #412 on: November 07, 2008, 12:32:26 AM »
Adam, I'll advise you, if you ever get the front wheel off the ground like that at B'ville, or  even Maxton, it won't be the same as on the pavement.

Thrills are thrills wherever they occur.

Welcome,

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #413 on: November 07, 2008, 08:41:43 AM »
Freud, you up early or out late...  :roll:

Adam, welcome to LSR, but here is a word of warning, you said 

... Not looking to set any records, just come out meet some people and have some fun.

you will be hooked the first run and chasing the record, that is the way the speed addiction starts...  :-o then you want to go to Bonneville and have to go really fast... it never ends.  :roll:  You are young for the LSR crowd also, but most of us see that as a good thing.  Buy a rule book or beg an old one, get the car ready and go fast.  Welcome to our addiction  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline NJ 03Mach1

• New folks
  • PA Hillclimber/ Daily Driver
    • EastCoastStang
« Reply #414 on: November 07, 2008, 06:00:01 PM »
Adam, I'll advise you, if you ever get the front wheel off the ground like that at B'ville, or  even Maxton, it won't be the same as on the pavement.

Thrills are thrills wherever they occur.

Welcome,

FREUD

That pic there is, roughly 60mph, coming out of a 90* turn into a blind jump with a left after it.. thrills it is..  :-D

At least from what I've seen of Maxton, If I do have an issue, at least there's run off. Our hills, 0 runoff. Unless you count the side of the mountain, or down the side of the mountain lol

John C

« Reply #415 on: November 11, 2008, 09:05:54 AM »
Hi all! I'd like to introduce myself, John Ciancitto from Des Moines, Iowa age 57. I've been hanging around this site as a guest for close to two years now and finally decided to shed my timidness. My brother Tom and I have been involved in different types of motorsports as amatuers thru the years and have always been attracted to Bonneville. After attending World of Speed last year (Tom made a couple runs in his 37 pickup, time only, no class for his truck) and we have been bit by the salt bug big time. Currently we both drive bricks and are planning on building a purpose built land speed car, we are sport car nuts so what better class than modified sports! I've been to Maxton a couple of meets and have posted a best of 174 in my 65 Rambler, now you know what our bricks are, nothing like a little aero challenged. We have been won over by the people we have met in the land racing community and also by the wealth of info and shared experiences on this site, I too was a refresh clicker during Jon's postings during the special bonneville event, boy, that was way cool! almost like being there. Thanks to all that post here. 

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #416 on: November 12, 2008, 10:16:07 PM »
Welcome John C.

Hope to see you in Maxton in 2009 ( on the salt too)

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #417 on: November 12, 2008, 11:44:38 PM »
Welcome John C

You've landed in the best website on the internet!! Anything you have questions about, these guys and gals can answer them!  In fact, you'll get a plethora of answers so you can pick and chose the ones that fit your needs. 

Lynda

Offline supertx

• New folks
« Reply #418 on: November 13, 2008, 12:34:00 AM »
Hello
My name is Joe Cantrell
And im a speed nut
A little about myself Im a semi-retried engine builder,car builder,driver.I race dirt late models and modfieds present.Im older than dirt and still like to go fast.I have been to the salt twice both in the same year 1991 I brought a [winston cup car back then] out both trips.What a blast some of the most fun I've ever had in a race car.The late Jim Fuelling was the one that talked me into coming to to the salt again what a blast.Been thinking about doing it again but not in a cup car.I have been looking for lsr cars for sale but have not had a whole lot of luck finding any for sale.If anybody knows of any for sale I can be reached at jc!racing@aol.com not sure what I want so I'll look at anything.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #419 on: November 13, 2008, 08:17:26 AM »
Joe, welcome back to our addiction...  :| There are several cars for sale, all you need to decide is how fast you want to go and how much you want to spend.  As you can see in most of the build diaries, building usually takes time, most builds are regulated by money available to throw at LSR.  Go through the for sale section, even some of the very old for sale ads are still available.  If is does not say sold, PM the owner.  Have fun, you didn't say how old, but most of us are very young and still learning...  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O