Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2276020 times)

fvaldezbeanbandit

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #300 on: September 06, 2008, 01:36:20 AM »
Hi, my name is Fabian Valdez. I am one of the young "Bean Bandits", I first went to El Mirage in 97' and wondered what took me so long to get there, same with the salt! I began crewing for friends Norm Benham, Karnig Karadizian. That went on till I got my own roadster and it took off from there. I built the first modern rear eng. mod. roadster to get a record (and my first record)at El Mirage ( because of my hero Ron Benham). Me and the rest of the "young" bean bandits are currently running one of Joaquin Arnett's streamliner. Stop by our pits say hi and have a beer! Glad to finally be on here! Thanks.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #301 on: September 06, 2008, 11:02:39 AM »
Hi, my name is Fabian Valdez. I am one of the young "Bean Bandits", I first went to El Mirage in 97' and wondered what took me so long to get there, same with the salt! I began crewing for friends Norm Benham, Karnig Karadizian. That went on till I got my own roadster and it took off from there. I built the first modern rear eng. mod. roadster to get a record (and my first record)at El Mirage ( because of my hero Ron Benham). Me and the rest of the "young" bean bandits are currently running one of Joaquin Arnett's streamliner. Stop by our pits say hi and have a beer! Glad to finally be on here! Thanks.

Hey welcome and thanks again for saving our butts by welding up our trailer in the Motel 6 parking lot a couple years back,

Sum

Offline srthomsen

• New folks
  • yeah, it IS L.A. surprising huh!
Introduce Yourself
« Reply #302 on: September 06, 2008, 11:33:32 AM »
Morning.  My name is steve thomsen & i used to work at Ak Millers back in the early '70's.  I am looking for someone who may ave taken photographs of a failed attempt by Huntington Ford with a modified Ford Pinto back in 1972 or 1973 (i think) at the salt flats.

contact me anytime by e-mail if you may be able to help

thanks

Offline Wester

Check with Wilford Day in St. George, UT
« Reply #303 on: September 06, 2008, 12:06:42 PM »
His Bonneville record setting Barracuda was the one who's records were retired so Ak could set new ones with the Fords.
Funny, because Ak worked with Wilf to build the cars and engines that set the records before Ford poured in so much money.  Just ask Wilf for details.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #304 on: September 06, 2008, 03:38:22 PM »

Welcome, Fabian!

Neat car: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291572

What are you using for a blower?  Or is it a secret?   :-D

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #305 on: September 06, 2008, 06:11:28 PM »
Bout time Fabian. LOL  Glad to see you here finally.
Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Jonnyrod

• New folks
« Reply #306 on: September 08, 2008, 02:14:05 AM »
Hey everyone, name is Jon. I'm new to LSR and am here to learn. I will run the Texas Mile next spring for experience and to see what direction I will go with my bike as far mods go. I'm running a 111" S&S powered Softail weighing in @ 580 lbs right now. I have been spanking all the twins around here long enough and want to try something different. The first thing I need to figure out is how to class my bike :?

I hope to be able to make it to Bonneville one day and at least make a good showing for my antiquated technology. :wink:

Offline willieworld

« Reply #307 on: September 08, 2008, 03:06:42 AM »
if your bike is 111 cu. in. then its 1818cc that would put you in the 2000cc class ---you have pushrods so you would be in a pushrod class--the other choice you have is modefied or special construction --or gas or fuel---soooooo lets see 2000cc mpg (modefied pushrod gas )--2000cc mpf ( 2000cc modefied fuel )-2000cc apg (2000cc special construction pushrod gas )  2000cc apf  (2000cc special construction pushrod fuel ) the mpg record is 171.667     the apg record is 169.966 held by S&S cycle--figure you will need about 160 hp at the rear wheel -----with the aniquated harley motor(i run one to so i know of what i speak ) those guys did it on harleys  so it can be done ---fritz klinger has the mpg record at 171.667 and he did it on a shovelhead --welcome to the site dont be afraid to ask questions and a sense of humor works good too -- buy yourself a rule book and read it until you understand it --hope to see you on the salt   willie buchta

some of these records may have changed sense they wrote the o8 rule book --if you go to www.scta-bni.org you can look at the records---there is another race left this year so they could still change
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

dwarner

« Reply #308 on: September 08, 2008, 11:39:09 AM »
Willie,

Actually, two races. Since unification records set at the World of Speed are included in the record database for SCTA-BNI. If you look at the records in the rulebook you will see dates like 8/07, 9/07 and 10/07. This indicates which race the record was set, i.e. 8/07 - Speedweek, 9/07 - World of Speed and 10/07 - World Finals.

DW

Offline willieworld

« Reply #309 on: September 08, 2008, 12:14:38 PM »
thanks dan i never realized the world of speed  was part of the records---on the scta home page the schedule lists   el mirage,speed week and world finals----could you explain ---------thank willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #310 on: September 08, 2008, 12:41:56 PM »
Willie, page 4 of the rule book shows USFRA dates and it being a SCTA-BNI sanctioned event.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #311 on: September 08, 2008, 12:44:40 PM »
Willie,

SCTA recognises USFRA World of Speed records and has done so for some time..see you two soon :-D

Offline Jonnyrod

• New folks
« Reply #312 on: September 08, 2008, 01:28:07 PM »
Thanks for your reply, I am very excited about this. I have a lot of work to do to even pass tech but I will take my time and do it right. I have managed to reach 130 with this mill without hitting my rev limiter and only running a 5 speed. I will concentrate on gearing and look for some more torque. Right now I am making 112 hp and 132 ft torque under 6000 rpms. I will get a rule book before I do anything else though. :-D

Offline willieworld

« Reply #313 on: September 08, 2008, 02:07:16 PM »
is it a scta record or a usfra record that the scta recognises  thanks  willie buchta

jonnyrod---come on out and make some runs  then you will know exactly where you are then you can go from there    willie
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 02:12:20 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #314 on: September 08, 2008, 03:15:14 PM »
Willie,USFRA and SCTA/BNI share the same rules and record book except for special classes like the 130 / 150 club etc. Those are their venue.We have our people on site for the combo records.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah