Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2275779 times)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #240 on: August 01, 2008, 12:09:27 PM »
Welcome Bob, always good to see more Texas guys here and on the Salt. We be one of the Texas crew that will be at the Blanding get together. It will be our first hope to see you there.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #241 on: August 04, 2008, 01:59:45 AM »
Hello everyone. My name is Skip Pipes.

Must say I'd like to thank SSS for stepping up to preserve this critical forum for all things landspeed. I've been lurking the past 3 years, learning as much as possible.   

As a native of Southern California and like many others on this forum, as a youngster I started drag racing, legal/otherwise. In 1972, I transitioned into USAC/USRC dirt/pavement Midgets as a driver/builder, and really enjoyed that for 12 successful years until the inevitable big crash (time just ran out on luck). After a two year rehabilitating I grew bored saving money and entered IMSA road racing for 7 years as a driver/entrant, although left after financial burnout.

I'd stayed away from competitive racing for some time and claimed I wouldn't return. Well, in 2001 I wandered out to El Mirage as a spectator and I'm sure you could finish this story: after several years observing at El Mirage I just happened to find myself at Bonneville Speedweek 2004/2005.

Well crap, now I'm hooked and for the past two years I've collected parts to build a Fuel/Gas Roadster. Just recently shaped the frame rails and will now start construction in earnest. I'll get a build page going soon.

I really appreciate this site (and Sum's) and I've learned much; however more importantly I've made new friends here, and they're willing to selflessly share their knowledge. As a group you're truly unique, amazing and enjoyable, which make this all the more memorable an experience.

Thanks
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #242 on: August 04, 2008, 02:21:37 AM »
Welcome to the group Skip. I See lsr drug you in kicking and screaming.  :-D

What class ya going to run with the roadster?

You're going to enjoy this trip.............
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline subrew

• New folks
« Reply #243 on: August 04, 2008, 05:27:35 PM »
Good afternoon all,

My name is Chris Hartman, and I'm a first time poster here on the forums.  I've been thinking about a Bonneville Motorcycle project for the past couple of years, and have decided to go ahead and jump right in.  I'm not 100% sure of what chassis/engine class yet, as I'm still trying to mull over a few ideas.  Chances are it will be something in the Modified Frame or Special Construction group, and small CC in engine size.

This will be my first time building a bike to these rules, so I'm sure to have lots of question.  I had intended to make it out to the BUB event this year to spectate and gain knowledge, but it falls too close to a weekend I'm running my Formula Vee.  However, this board has proven very valuable thus far.

As a little intro, I'm 33yo, live in Chico, CA, and split my "hobby time" between racing a vintage Autodynamics Formula Vee, and restoring and riding 1960s small CC Japanese bikes.  I've gone through close to ten different bikes over the past few years, ranging from a 1964 Hodaka ACE 90 to a 1964 Yamaha YJ1 to a 1964 Bridgestone Sport 90.  My latest project is a Honda C110.  I occasionally contribute articles to both Grassroots Motorsports Magazine and Motorcycle Classics.  In fact, a few of my bikes have been featured in MC over the past year, and another is scheduled for print in an upcoming issue. 

Luckily...my wife seems to put up with my antics, and as long as her 1964 Honda CA100 keeps in good tune, she fully expects me to spend my weekends in the garage.  And she makes a great crew chief when I run the FV, so she should get her first taste of the Salt along with me.  I've actually been to Wendover several time for SCCA ProSolo events, but never made it out on the salt.

Well, long story short, see you in 2009.

Chris H.
Chico, CA

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #244 on: August 04, 2008, 06:48:53 PM »
Chris, it is always a good idea to attend a meet to learn the ropes prior to being a race participant.  You might also note that the rules are different between the AMA for the Bub and the scta for Speedweek, WOS and World Finals and the El Mirage events.   
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline bones

« Reply #245 on: August 05, 2008, 06:19:27 AM »
G day
   My name is Bones (Dave McLachlan) and I have salt fever. So does my partner Evelyne. I have been racing bikes since 1975 and sidecars since 1984. We have raced at most tracks around Australia and some in NZ. Ev and I have been together since 1998. I do all my own fabricating and machining, so projects take a while cause work gets in the way. The fever took hold in 05- our first experience of salt and the first time Ev had the throttle of a race bike (TZ350). She used to be happy being a passenger on the sidecar but now she needs the throttle. We have an R1 yamaha which is used for lsr and drag racing. Best speed so far is 177 for me and 152 for Ev. The present project is a motorcycle streamliner which may be running but not finished for March 09. We will be coming to the BUB meeting this year to get our fix of salt racing, as spectators, suffering withdrawals as Lake G has not been on for 2 years now.
  Looking forward to meeting lots of fellow racers at Bonneville.
    cheers Bones

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #246 on: August 05, 2008, 08:23:52 AM »
Uh - oh, this guy sunds like the Aussie version of Willie Buchta.  This will be great -- another sidecar guy that builds from scratch (although I guess most hack folks have to do lots of that, right?).  Anyway, welcome, Bones, and have at it.  We enjoy build stories -- as you may have already seen on other parts of this forum.  Come visit us at Bub's (Nancy and I will be there to cover the event for the website).  We look forward to meeting you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline promachine

« Reply #247 on: August 05, 2008, 10:58:05 AM »
subrew, I see you live in chico, stop by vintage hot rod some time and check out my 66 305 scrambler. Its for sale too, come on , you know you want one :-D
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #248 on: August 05, 2008, 11:33:41 AM »
My first bike was a 305 scrambler, put a lot of miles on it, had a lot of fun with it, and started a lifetime addiction to 2 wheel riding, racing,building and so on. Great bikes.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #249 on: August 05, 2008, 11:39:13 AM »
Bones,

It will be glad to see you and Evelyne again, after what happend in 2006 and the rain out in 07-08 I know you two need your salt fix..

John

Offline wanabe

• New folks
« Reply #250 on: August 05, 2008, 03:42:59 PM »
kevin, huge fan of land speed racing

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #251 on: August 05, 2008, 05:56:22 PM »
Kevin, you talkative son-of-a-gun -- maybe next time you'll tell us where you are, and perhaps even a bit about what got you to this site, and where you are in the world, and so on...

Welcome to the site!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #252 on: August 05, 2008, 10:37:22 PM »
Welcome to the group Skip. I See lsr drug you in kicking and screaming.  :-D

What class ya going to run with the roadster?

You're going to enjoy this trip.............

Hi Mike,

Being a rookie I've planned on using a simple, reliable B/Gas small block Chevy combination to get through licensing. I have a respectable, running 416 small block; although it obviously forfeits 24 inches to the class, so I might look at a more competitive combination. Now if I'd just spend my kid's inheritance I could earn some serious style points with a pair of unmolested 354 Chrysler's, just waiting for superchargers. They'd look and sound stunning, but would break the bank.
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline hechtrod

• MyRideisMe.com
« Reply #253 on: August 07, 2008, 11:04:38 AM »
 :-D Hey there salt lovers.  My name is Chris Hecht.  I made it out to World of Speed last September.  I took my dad and oldest son for the day.  It was the last saturday and the action was sort of slow, but I still loved it.  I'm heading out to Speed Week on Tuesday the 19th.  My friend from work, Dallas Volk, tells me that's the day he would go if he could pick one.  Of course, as part of the Volk Bros. team, he'll be there all week.  I live in Farmington, Utah and work as a Quality Engineer for a medical device mfg'r.  I am a certified car nut (and airplanes too).  It started with airplane and car plastic models as a kid.  Then I raced rc cars for a couple of years.  Then after finishing High School, I picked up a '72 Bug for $500 and started body work, lowered the front end.  I was in Brazil for 2 years and when I got back, my dad had restored the Bug.  While I was gone, my dad picked up a '94 Mustang GT that he started drag racing.  He used to have a '64 Comet Cyclone, where he learned some small block Ford tricks.  He got his late model Stanger to go 12.85 @ 106 at Famoso in Bakersfield, Ca. with a stock block, stock cam, stock ported heads, boltons and small slicks. 
So, when I returned from Brazil, I went up to Utah to BYU for school where my passion for cars started to get serious.  I got interested in 4 cylinder imports.  I bought a '95 Civic coupe which I mildly modified.  I finished school in mfg'ing engineering (mostly for my love of mechanical things (cars/planes)) and moved to California for my job.  There I traded my Civic for a '94 Mustang GT with no a/c.  ;)  I was swayed by the exhaust note.  I took it to Fontana Drags and Famoso where I ran a best of 14.8@ 93mph.  After about a year it started burning oil and then we moved back to Utah for my current job.  So, I sold the Stang for another Civic that had a/c and gets 40mpg.  So, with 3 boys under 6 and #4 on the way, my Hechtrodding is mostly hot wheels on the carpet track, building plastic models (current project is a '50 Ford Truck with a flathead I want to paint flat black, drop it to the ground and try my hand at a "Hechtrods Speed Shop" logo on the door.  We'll see.  ;) ) and taking the kids to car shows in Utah. 
I am pretty much interested in all types of racing, road racing, drag racing and most recently speed racing.  I started a Hechtspeed blog, I started it to document all things speed related with my family since my dad, uncle, cousings, brother and I are all into cars and planes. 
http://hechtspeed.blogspot.com/
There's my blog if you're interested in seeing pics of my dad's Comet, my bug, cousins cars, my brothers rc jets and planes.  Anyway, sorry if this was boring and I am not currently working on a lakester project or something.  Ha ha.  But, I'll be out there in 10 days with my camera and hopefully a beach cruiser bike, because I hear from Dvolk that there's hundreds of cars and the pit area is huge!  Can't wait.  I'll be lurking.
Chris "Hechtrod" Hecht
 :mrgreen:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #254 on: August 07, 2008, 06:03:40 PM »
Welcome aboard Chris, Usually the 1st time to the salt you can get hooked, The fever never goes away. Watch out for them Volks folks, the have a major case of salt fever, it's breed into them.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah