Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267252 times)

Offline mrdodge

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #225 on: July 14, 2008, 04:57:03 AM »
Hi there. Mrdodge aka John Reid from the land of the Kiwi - New Zealand. Have been looking at this site for a while so thought it was time to join up. Have been into hot rods etc since early seventies and had read about the "great white dyno" through the exploits of the few kiwis who had raced there. Managed to make my first visit in 1998 with the Harris Family Racing team and was just blown away. Amazing place and really friendly people. Am heading back in a few weeks for SW 2008 and just can't wait!!

You may like to know that there are 11 teams from NZ hitting the Salt this year with over 200 hundred supporters so don't be surprised to hear "Yeah Gidday" a fair bit!!

Have got info on some of the teams entered but not sure if this is the right place in the forum to post it. Six cars and 5 motorbikes with 2 or 3 expats also looking to run as well.

As the 3 others I am travelling with are new to the Salt, am looking forward to introducing them to the joys and we are camping at "the bend" so hope to make the Salt Talks as well

Cheers
If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs....it's quite possible you haven't grasped the situation

Offline Partspeddler

• New folks
« Reply #226 on: July 14, 2008, 08:56:22 AM »
I would like to introduce The National Parts Peddler.  Owner & Publisher, Corky, 1991 200 mph record holder.  Has been involved with Land Speed racing for years. You'll find him on the Flats at Speedweek.  Every year we produce a Special Bonneville issue in August that will be at the Flats.

If, your looking to Buy, Sell or Trade any Bonneville cars, parts, trucks, trailers, etc. be visible in the National Parts Peddler!

Place your wanted ads for what your looking for.

Call Barb at 315 699-7583.

email address:  npp@twcny.rr.com

www.partspeddlernews.net

Count down begins for Speedweek!

Offline laura

• New folks
« Reply #227 on: July 21, 2008, 06:27:47 PM »
Hi,  I'm Laura Mays.  I have a beautiful streamliner that Nick Mays and myself spent 9 years making.  I need to sell this beautiful machine for personal reasons.  It is known as Montana Magic 11.  We ran it Speed Week of 2003 with the break-in engine.  It went 214.9 mph.  We were given the trophy for best performance. 

I know nothing about engines but have the break-in engine, (a Buick v-6 that Nick 'dialed in'.  The 286 engine is now in the car and ready to go with some attention to detail.  If anyone knows anything about streamliners, engines and Nick Mays work, interested in buying please contact me at (406) 454-3607.  I also have the retriever trailer, the enclosed trailer, awnings, etc.  It is heartbreaking to let this go but does a terrific job, so why keep it locked away?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #228 on: July 21, 2008, 06:40:31 PM »
Hi, Laura.  First things first -- welcome to the Forum.  Second, we've got a topic section specifically for buying/selling, and you might be wise to post your 'liner there as a for sale item.  No biggie -- but to keep everyone on the same track I thought I'd mention it.

Third -- have you got, and would you post, some photographs so that all of us know just what you're talking about?  What class does it run (if you know -- otherwise we might figure out from looking at the numbers and letters on the side of it).

Back to the beginning -- thanks for finding us, and please feel free to visit the forum often.  I hope it helps you sell the streamliner.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Mike@Predator

• New folks
« Reply #229 on: July 25, 2008, 11:47:03 AM »
Hello all names Mike Raybuck.  I work at a performance shop in Pennsylvania called Predator Performance.  We have been contracted to build a car to go to Bonneville for the world finals this year.  I can’t even explain how excited I am about the opportunity to work on a car that is headed to the salt!  I have read and dreamed out going there since I was 5 years old. 

I’m 24 years old and have been welding and fabricating since I was 15 and this is by far one of the coolest things I have ever been apart of.  I hope to pick up a few hints and construction tips from the site.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #230 on: July 25, 2008, 11:58:12 AM »
Hello all names Mike Raybuck.  I work at a performance shop in Pennsylvania called Predator Performance.  We have been contracted to build a car to go to Bonneville for the world finals this year.  I can’t even explain how excited I am about the opportunity to work on a car that is headed to the salt!  I have read and dreamed out going there since I was 5 years old. 

I’m 24 years old and have been welding and fabricating since I was 15 and this is by far one of the coolest things I have ever been apart of.  I hope to pick up a few hints and construction tips from the site.

Hi Mike and welcome.  Are you in a position to tell us anything about the car?  If not don't worry. 

Hope to see you at WF,

Sum

Offline Mike@Predator

• New folks
« Reply #231 on: July 25, 2008, 02:15:58 PM »
doh I guess I could have shed a little light on what we were building...  its a 1992 Corvette with a twin turbo big block.  I believe it is going to be in the A/BGT class if im not mistaking.  We have nine weeks to get it done and it’s going to be tight! Lots of late nights.  We crewed a car at Maxton for Dennis Lindbergh this year and while we were down there he asked if we could build him a corvette for WF and we said hell yes and it was on from there.

Offline CTRon

« Reply #232 on: July 31, 2008, 11:03:07 AM »
hi. new guy here from connecticut... have been lurking for quite a while but finally decided to introduce myself.. im 30 years old and me and my dad have just started on a bellytank build..finishing up the frame jig now. hopefully ill post up some pics in the build diaries soon.. it will be powered by a superchrged flathead and we will prob mostly run at maxton.. ive been goin to maxton since last october and i am hooked pretty good now!! lol  i am a crewmember on the 1946 D/BSTR vanblarcom & gilmore, thacker & shine roadster also and i will be making my first trip to the salt with them in a few weeks..(salt virgin here!!) lol i cant wait!!!!! he wants that red hat bad!!  thats it for now i guess.lol hope to see some of you guys around!!
maxton 2 club member 205.188mph  A/BFR
loring 2 club member 219.807mph  A/BFR
Wilmington 2 club member 202.702 A/BFR
bonneville 2 club member 225.003 XXF/BGRMR

Offline promachine

« Reply #233 on: July 31, 2008, 01:46:44 PM »
Hello CTRon, looking forward to seeing the 1946 car on the salt again. I used to build the engine for Tony and Jimmy when they had the car. We will be running D/BSTR this year again. Come on by the 511 & 811 pits and say hi.
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

Offline CTRon

« Reply #234 on: July 31, 2008, 09:27:07 PM »
thanks for the invite promachine... we should have the engine back from the builder here tomorrow then its gonna be a thrash to get it back in and running as the bus leaves here for bonneville in 10 days... lol
maxton 2 club member 205.188mph  A/BFR
loring 2 club member 219.807mph  A/BFR
Wilmington 2 club member 202.702 A/BFR
bonneville 2 club member 225.003 XXF/BGRMR

Offline promachine

« Reply #235 on: July 31, 2008, 10:00:08 PM »
Don`t feel bad, We are blasting the chassis tonight so it can go to powder coating tomarrow, should have it back Mon.. Then put the car back together and plump and wire it, and oh yea , paint it. All I need for the engine is the main caps I ordered last week, and , oh yea completly machine the block and smack it together, and, oh yea dyno it and about 7 others that need to be done before I go. How many days we got left?
Hope to see you guys on the salt, we will be the ones with the still wet paint........again.

Offline Ezryder

• New folks
« Reply #236 on: August 01, 2008, 02:40:57 AM »
Hi All,
'Bob' Davis[/font] here. I'm new to posting, but have been reading the posts for a couple of years.
I've been to Bonneville in '05, '06, 07 (& probably '08) as crew member on Ed Stuck's #299 B/FR.
I just turned my odometer to 69 yrs. That makes me the Old Fart on Ed's crew.
I live in central Texas, have lived most of my life in Texas, but also lived in Colorado & Arizona. Spent 2 years in the US Army as a Pershing missile crewman. I've always been in the garage business one way or another. I taught auto mechanics @ Texas State Tech College for 26 yrs (that's how I wound up in central Texas). I own motorcycles, old cars, old pickup trucks, & lots of other old stuff (junk). I don't own any Harley-Davidsons or Chevrolets. My engine tastes run to ABC (anything but Chevy). prefering Fords or Chryslers. Used to only prefer V-8's, but lately I've developed a taste for other crankshaft bents.
(I've got an old Jeep Cherokee w/ 2.5L 4 holer, also once owned an MGB/GT).
Might add to this at a later date.  :evil:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #237 on: August 01, 2008, 08:16:05 AM »
Welcome Bob, see how easy it is to post.  Lurking is fun, put conversing with the other addicts will help you get your fix between races. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline promachine

« Reply #238 on: August 01, 2008, 10:42:54 AM »
See ya in a couple weeks Bob, we will be pitting next to Ed and Gary as usual.
We will have the 811 & hopfully the 511.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #239 on: August 01, 2008, 11:17:43 AM »
Hi All,
'Bob' Davis[/font] here. I'm new to posting, but have been reading the posts for a couple of years.
I've been to Bonneville in '05, '06, 07 (& probably '08) as crew member on Ed Stuck's #299 B/FR.
I just turned my odometer to 69 yrs. That makes me the Old Fart on Ed's crew.
I live in central Texas, have lived most of my life in Texas, but also lived in Colorado & Arizona. Spent 2 years in the US Army as a Pershing missile crewman. I've always been in the garage business one way or another. I taught auto mechanics @ Texas State Tech College for 26 yrs (that's how I wound up in central Texas). I own motorcycles, old cars, old pickup trucks, & lots of other old stuff (junk). I don't own any Harley-Davidsons or Chevrolets. My engine tastes run to ABC (anything but Chevy). prefering Fords or Chryslers. Used to only prefer V-8's, but lately I've developed a taste for other crankshaft bents.
(I've got an old Jeep Cherokee w/ 2.5L 4 holer, also once owned an MGB/GT).
Might add to this at a later date.  :evil:

Hi Bob,  have you thought about having barbecue with some of the rest of us old guys at my place in Blanding, UT. Friday night on the way to the salt.  Nice reasonably priced Super 8 across the street from me and we and others will drive up to Wendover Sat. for Sunday pit setup.  You and anyone else are welcome and there will be some other Texas guys coming.

c ya,

Sum

P.S. We run SBC's, but will keep the hoods down  :wink:.