Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2275080 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #180 on: June 14, 2008, 12:41:53 PM »
Durango, just to add to what Stainless said, Land Speed Racing is the only type of racing that I know of where the guy holding the record you are after will help you to try and beat him........the spirit of competition is outweighed by the passion for the sport..................
Bob Drury

Offline AHG

« Reply #181 on: June 24, 2008, 06:56:19 PM »
Hi All,
My name is Andrew "Drew" Gatewood, and I am a relative newcomer to the salt.
This year ('08) will be my 3rd year. My experience is presently not in a competitive form,
but working as AMA/F.I.M. Technical Steward for the BUB Speed Trials. I love spending the week there,
and being able to see much of the different equipment up close; as I measure the engines that break a record.

My own racing history has been with various disciplines such as Flattrack, Ice Racing, Hillclimb, Drag Racing, and Speedway. All of which I have enjoyed equally.

I have recently retired after 21 years owning and operating a small motorcycle dealership in northwest Indiana, and am looking forward to having more time to spend building my own machines, going to races, and certainly having a bit more time for my family.

I am currently building two bikes to bring to Bonneville (hopefully in '09). Both are being built for the APS-AG classes. One will be powered by a 625cc liquid cooled Jawa engine (the only one in the U.S. presently), and the other using a Ducati 999 engine.

My AMA/F.I.M. Technical Steward license has opened a few new FUN doors of which I am excited about. I have been hired in that capacity to work in the U.S. at World Superbike, MotoGP, AMA Amateur Dirttrack Grandchampionship, and the BUB Speed Trials.

If this is any indication of how retirement will go, I'm ready, bring it on!!

Thank You
Drew Gatewood
Chesterton, Indiana
www.gearswebsite.com
~ I CAN COUNT MY LIFE ON ONE HAND ~
Faith, Family, Friends, & Fast Motorcycles

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #182 on: June 24, 2008, 07:03:42 PM »
Drew
Welcome to the forum, A great place to spend time and meet people. As you are somewhat new to LSR you will find that you have missed a lot of good times on the salt. I have been going there since 1953 and the last 25 years in the timing stand. (AKA the best seat in the house) Looking forward to meeting you. You might want to try the chat line tonight on this site. Sounds like you have some good plans to run next year.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #183 on: June 24, 2008, 07:41:15 PM »
Glen, how do I get to the chat room?
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #184 on: June 24, 2008, 07:45:03 PM »
Glen, how do I get to the chat room?

Fred,

Go to the home page and click the "INTERACT" (next to the home page button top left) button and then go down until you see CHAT NIGHT

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #185 on: June 24, 2008, 07:57:38 PM »
I found it. Thanks John.
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Super Kaz

« Reply #186 on: June 24, 2008, 09:10:38 PM »
Hi All,
My name is Andrew "Drew" Gatewood, and I am a relative newcomer to the salt.
This year ('08) will be my 3rd year. My experience is presently not in a competitive form,
but working as AMA/F.I.M. Technical Steward for the BUB Speed Trials. I love spending the week there,
and being able to see much of the different equipment up close; as I measure the engines that break a record.

My own racing history has been with various disciplines such as Flattrack, Ice Racing, Hillclimb, Drag Racing, and Speedway. All of which I have enjoyed equally.

I have recently retired after 21 years owning and operating a small motorcycle dealership in northwest Indiana, and am looking forward to having more time to spend building my own machines, going to races, and certainly having a bit more time for my family.

I am currently building two bikes to bring to Bonneville (hopefully in '09). Both are being built for the APS-AG classes. One will be powered by a 625cc liquid cooled Jawa engine (the only one in the U.S. presently), and the other using a Ducati 999 engine.

My AMA/F.I.M. Technical Steward license has opened a few new FUN doors of which I am excited about. I have been hired in that capacity to work in the U.S. at World Superbike, MotoGP, AMA Amateur Dirttrack Grandchampionship, and the BUB Speed Trials.

If this is any indication of how retirement will go, I'm ready, bring it on!!

Thank You
Drew Gatewood
Chesterton, Indiana
www.gearswebsite.com

Drew,

if you need a motogp Intern let me know :wink:!

Tell Valle SuperKaz say's "KICK THEIR ASS'S!!!! :evil:" for Me Thank You 8-)!

I sure do miss my Duc's :cry:..

Welcome and Have the Time of Your Life :-D!!!!

Offline DMH

• New folks
  • Speedweek 09
« Reply #187 on: June 28, 2008, 12:17:28 PM »
Just wanted to introduce myself to the site. My name is Dave. I live in a small town right outside Dayton, Ohio. I don't belong to any club, group, etc. Pretty much lone wolf kind of guy.
My interest in land speed racing has increased due to my continued obsession with anything related to the gasoline, alcohol, nitro and burning rubber. I love to work on my cars, tractors & mowers.
I have a ’69 Camaro, which I’m currently re-building the engine. A 500 ci. Caddy motor that I’m trying to figure out what to do with and patiently awaiting on my ’30 Ford hot rod roadster that is being built by a local hot rod shop. I have to be working on something or reading about hot rods all the time.
I work in a machine shop as a floor supervisor to make a living, but I don’t feel complete unless my fingers have grease underneath them and I’m working on cars.
We’re going to Speedweek this year. First Time! Got motel reservations last February. So if you see a 49.9-year-old guy walking around with his wife in tow with a big smile on his face, it’s me! Any suggestions to give to this salt virgin would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
dave

Super Kaz

« Reply #188 on: June 28, 2008, 12:46:31 PM »
Just wanted to introduce myself to the site. My name is Dave. I live in a small town right outside Dayton, Ohio. I don't belong to any club, group, etc. Pretty much lone wolf kind of guy.
My interest in land speed racing has increased due to my continued obsession with anything related to the gasoline, alcohol, nitro and burning rubber. I love to work on my cars, tractors & mowers.
I have a ’69 Camaro, which I’m currently re-building the engine. A 500 ci. Caddy motor that I’m trying to figure out what to do with and patiently awaiting on my ’30 Ford hot rod roadster that is being built by a local hot rod shop. I have to be working on something or reading about hot rods all the time.
I work in a machine shop as a floor supervisor to make a living, but I don’t feel complete unless my fingers have grease underneath them and I’m working on cars.
We’re going to Speedweek this year. First Time! Got motel reservations last February. So if you see a 49.9-year-old guy walking around with his wife in tow with a big smile on his face, it’s me! Any suggestions to give to this salt virgin would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

ya a Big Hat and SUNSCREEN :wink:!

Don't park off the road during the night when it rains,and Whatchout for Lakes out there too :-o!!!

Have a Blast it's the Coolest Place on the Planet 8-)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #189 on: June 28, 2008, 05:09:01 PM »
Dave (DMH):

Use the search function and look for some of the topics on newbies on the salt -- there have been quite a few series of discussions on what to expect/what to bring over the past few years.  We're glad to have you here on the site -- and invite you to not only read and post, but also to look us up (Nancy andme, that is) at SpeedWeek.  Also please plan to attend Salt Talks, the landracing.com "picnic/cookout" Sunday evening after inspection.  Salt Talks is the lad speed racer gathering, held at the bend in the road (which you'll find on your way into the Salt).

See you on the salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

LVMAXX

« Reply #190 on: June 28, 2008, 08:27:04 PM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:39:09 AM by LVMAXX »

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #191 on: June 29, 2008, 10:07:27 PM »
DMH, watch out for the salt bugs. Quite costly if bitten but well worth it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 11:27:49 PM by thundersalt »
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

MCR

« Reply #192 on: July 01, 2008, 03:32:52 PM »
Greetings,

For the last year, I've been exploring diesel land speed racing.  Hopefully we can get the proper safety equipment and give it a shot soon.  We will first be running in DT/B then migrate.  Both my wife Kathy and I enjoy racing, and we believe Kat is the quickest woman in diesel racing so far.

Pat McSwain
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 05:58:36 PM by MCR »

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #193 on: July 01, 2008, 04:20:57 PM »
Welcome Pat, glad to have you aboard. There are lots of people here that can answer your questions and help with anything involving LSR. Do you plan to come to Speedweek?
How fast has Kat been?

Fred
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH

MCR

« Reply #194 on: July 01, 2008, 05:57:35 PM »
She has run 10.59 @ 129.x mph the quarter mile in a production diesel pickup at California Speedway, we think that's the quickest pass by a woman in a diesel powered vehicle so far.

Finding sources to upgrade the NHRA safety equipment to SCTA standards has been tough.  We would like to run Bonneville this year, but realistically, it will most likely be 2009.  I might stop by as a spectator.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 05:59:28 PM by MCR »