Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267411 times)

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #150 on: May 27, 2008, 04:49:24 PM »
Hi Sum, if talking about the avatar I don't think they have to be square... check out mine.
LVMXX, put up any old picture's address as your avatar for now.... IE: make sure you know how it's working and that it is... then it will all click for you.
Todd

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #151 on: May 27, 2008, 06:17:09 PM »
Yep, that part still works, but a large picture (641 x 331) distorts into the square hole.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #152 on: May 28, 2008, 02:07:11 AM »
Hi Sum, if talking about the avatar I don't think they have to be square... check out mine.
LVMXX, put up any old picture's address as your avatar for now.... IE: make sure you know how it's working and that it is... then it will all click for you.
Todd

Yes it will work as long as the width is 100 pixels or less and the height is also under 100. If you are resizing a picture to work you have to just keep that in mind,

Sum

LVMAXX

« Reply #153 on: May 28, 2008, 08:59:15 AM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:41:48 AM by LVMAXX »

Ratliff

« Reply #154 on: May 28, 2008, 11:13:43 AM »
Franklin Ratliff.

A man who asks why, the chosen word of the defiant, the nonconformist, and the visionary.

Also, according to Waldo Stakes, "the most enlightened Land Speed Record expert on the planet."

Offline GearSpeedKelvo

• GEARSPEED MOTORSPORTS OWNER
  • ORGANIZING THE FIRST PHILIPPINE LAND SPEED RACE
    • GEARSPEED MOTORSPORTS
« Reply #155 on: May 28, 2008, 11:52:44 AM »
How I wish my car will be finish next month.

Organizing the FIRST Philippine Land Speed Racing
Making the FIRST Philippine Land Speed Race Car on a Honda Civic
GearSpeed Motorsports' FIRST Race Car
PLSRA Philippine Land Speed Racing Association
Lot 6 Block 11 Buencamino St. BF Homes Subdivision Alabang Muntinlupa City
Contact number 807-13-95/09177941980

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #156 on: May 29, 2008, 08:59:45 AM »
Regarding Post 154

I was always led to believe that Peter J Houlthusen was THE EXPERT on land speed reacing from here in Britain.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Ratliff

« Reply #157 on: May 29, 2008, 09:38:50 AM »
Regarding Post 154

I was always led to believe that Peter J Houlthusen was THE EXPERT on land speed reacing from here in Britain.

You're kidding, right?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #158 on: May 29, 2008, 09:41:50 AM »
You just think you are ratliff, the rest of us don't
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Ratliff

« Reply #159 on: May 29, 2008, 10:34:44 AM »
You just think you are ratliff, the rest of us don't

I have Holthausen's 1989 book. In one part of the book he describes Mickey Thompson as building Ford Autolite BEFORE Challenger, then in another part of the book describes Ford Autolite as being built after Challenger.

There's also a photo with a caption stating the car is the Mercedes-Benz Type 80 land speed record car (which never ran due to WWII starting) when in fact the car is a Mercedes streamlined Grand Prix car (which looked nothing like the Type 80).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 10:41:26 AM by Ratliff »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #160 on: May 29, 2008, 11:10:27 AM »
Please, please -- would someone post a picture of the Florida swamp boat / propster so we can all see where he's coming from.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Ratliff

« Reply #161 on: May 29, 2008, 12:32:34 PM »
Please, please -- would someone post a picture of the Florida swamp boat / propster so we can all see where he's coming from.

Airboats and the propster are different vehicles.

Swamp buggies are wheel-driven. Racing swamp buggies are nothing like the ones used for hunting and sightseeing.

Below is a link to a photo of Art Arfons "Baloney Slicer", the original prop-driven dragster.

http://www.americanjetcars.com/arfons/art/art26.htm

Below are links to photos of a prop-driven railcar that set a rail speed record of 140 mph in 1931.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Schienenzeppelin_Steilrampe.jpg

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/proprail/proprail.htm

http://technomanai.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/1448074726_05af2ea2e6.jpg

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:51:56 PM by Ratliff »

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #162 on: May 29, 2008, 01:06:35 PM »
Stan and others:

Can you please keep the intro section just that and have debates and other chat in the proper forum.. :-)

Thanks,

John

LittleLiner

« Reply #163 on: May 29, 2008, 01:53:21 PM »
Hi there.  Art Danby is my name.  At 62 and climbing the age thing is just something I find it best to ignore.  I am from York, PA and spend the work week in Washington DC where I am a Quality Assurance Director for a small professional services government contractor company.  Retired Army officer and ex helicopter pilot.  I’ve been ‘new to LSR’ for over 5 years now.  Currently building a Gas Coupe for the lower displacement classes.  Hopefully it will be faster than my Avatar.  I also have many of the components to build a small streamliner after I’m fully retired (that is where the title ‘littleliner’ comes in).  Will focus on Maxton for the near future.  I’ve been a 'sometimes' volunteer there. 

Offline racergeo

« Reply #164 on: May 30, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
    Hi, George Johnson from OLympia Wa here. I am a relative newby to landspeed racing but have been an ardent follower for over 40 years. In my 4000 book collection I have hundreds of articals on Bonneville and Landspeed cars. I have always been fascinated by the idea of holding the throtltle down and going as fast as you could. AS the owner/builder of SALTOSOURUS I have been on a steep learning curve for going on 5 years. After my first trip to the salt with it I came home and made 14 changes to it. After my second trip I made over 30 minor and maaaaajor changes. After I set the record in my class at WF last year I was down to just aero tweeks the most important of wich  was getting rid of the blasted hood scoop that blocked my vision. I am changing classes and running a BBC engine this year in an effort to get up near that 300mph speed. I am also building an 86 Firebird for altered class and plan on putting engines out of the lakester in it and letting freinds who  have helped with it drive the Firebird and at least go for their 200mph license if not a record. Am having a great time landpeed racing. Only down side is paying for the gas bill all year after going to two events in one year. I like this site cause it acts as a great sounding board for ideas to apply to my car for more SPEEEEEED!!!!  Thanks to all that make it possible with some great posts.