Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2274820 times)

Dick Knorr

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2008, 12:47:19 AM »
Hi I'm Dick Knorr from Summerland BC, my 2 partners and I have been racing a 1970 Opel GT at Bonneville since 2001, we should
have started 30 years ago but family and drag racing got in the way. Our car is black with flames #6666, 66 was taken and 666
was not allowed or we were going to hell apparently. We  ran an old OHC Pontiac inline 6 with fuel injection  until 2006 when we blew it
up, went 185 on a 205 record so we have quite a ways to go. Our new motor is Trailblazer 4200 Vortec L6 with EFI this time, hopefully
we get closer to the record in August. We would like to thank the SCTA guys and gals for all their hard work in putting on these events
and thanks to Jon for hosting this website, awesome job.

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2008, 12:08:54 PM »
Hi Oz from the UK I was always more of a custom builder in the past as you can see from the pictures and have been so up untill about seven years ago the current bike is the first one I have built for myself in nine years. The insperation was from dare I say it The Worlds Fastest Indian.I found myself watching it in the cinema with my wife,parents, and kids it was my birthday and at the time was living in a run down cottage/workshop with chickens running about various trees that were often watered with natures best fertilizer and couldnt get away from the similarities in lifestyle albeit he was alot cleverer than i ever will be.That started the Idea and shortly afterward started collecting the bits to start building. 2007 was a bad year and in january was rushed into hospital wich turned out to be incurable bowel disease Never mind s@%$ Happens recovery took a while and was just getting sorted again and in April the house and workshop burned to the ground we managed to save some stuff and the bits for the bike which survived almost unscathed so building started in july at work in my spare time.The wife and myself were at Bonneville for speed week and found it just reinforced the want to compete we found it a truly awesome and inspiring place the bike now is just going through final engine work and paint and polish etc and hopefully will be finished and ready for testing August September and cant wait for 09 Thanks for the site its agreat help.

Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline NArias3

• Arias Components
    • Arias Components Engineered
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2008, 10:24:13 PM »
Hello Landracers-
I'm Nick Arias III (or Nicky to the elders).  I went to Bonneville for the first time in 1976 @ 14 years old as a crew member on Ken Logan, Jim Dincau & Jerry Jones' C/BFMR.  I was immediately hooked!  Having grown up around Drag Racing to that point, I was well overdue for my first trip to the salt - especially after the years of reading Hot Rod mag's Speedweek coverage.  The images of superchargers sticking thru the hoods of Burke's Avanti and Sadd, Teague & Bentley's #76 had me chompin' at the bit.  As I was then, I'm still amazed at the sight and sound of a blown fuel 392 or a nitro Harley running for five miles.

I've been fortunate enough to meet and befriend some of the sport's true legends as well as first-timers.  The friendships, advice and memories are indeed priceless.  I'm a humble member of the Bonneville and El Mirage 200 MPH clubs and a Gear Grinder in good standing.  Somehow I survived some of Bonneville's toughest rites of passage: Sleeping six to a room at the old Western, Greyhound to SLC, breakfast in Ely, lost jackpots, tech inspection at the airport and the trips to Wells :roll:.

Probably the most fun I've had at the Salt was racing with my Dad.  He'd been involved with a few record-setting vehicles in the past and in 1990 decided to build one for himself.  Imagine my shock when he asked me to drive his hot rod.  Having raced dragsters since 1983, I had not been involved in a project with him until then.  Of course I said yes.  We produced a few exciting moments throughout our ten year run, but the most memorable times were spent in our pit area with his racing buddies.  At any given time we were host to the most eclectic blend of Dad's childhood friends, war buddies, Hall of Famers, customers and just plain curious onlookers.  I think we brought more lawn chairs and beer than spare parts!  Can't beat those memories.

Thank you Jon and your dedicated group of moderators for this excellent outlet for our love of Land Speed Racing.
SCTA Gear Grinder.

https://ariascomponents.com

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2008, 12:31:54 AM »
Hi Guys and Girls ( have to be PC now)
I live in Omaha Ne and I'm 67 years young and holding. Never driven there. Wanted to build but when there was money, no time. Now time but no money.
I followed every issue of Hot Rod with Mickey's build when I was young. Later in life, I was a truck driver laid over in San Leandro, Ca. At the local watering hole a white haired old fart named George Bentley says to me "I own a third interest in the World's Fastest Roadster". I thought RRIIIIIIGGHHTTTT. Anyway I ran into him several times and we developed a good friendship that lasted until his passing a couple of years ago. He said I should come to the salt. In 74 I parked my truck along the road in Wendover and walked down to the Patio where George, Al, George Wilson and the others were staying and working on the rear end of the roadster. The next morning I parked my double bottoms at the end of the road, (few parked there then) and spent most of the day on the salt, about which my company wasn't too happy. I was hooked. I came back the next year and crewed with Al and Geo. on the roadster, then the lakester and later the liner.
I crewed with John Mckichan and Tim Shultz on their liner for several years until Tony Piner brought his AA/STR roadster out of retirement. I now crew with Tony or just spectate if he doesn't come.
However I do have a couple of regrets about Bonneville. I regret that I didn't go fifteen years earlier and that some years life gets in the way. LOL
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline JimL

« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2008, 03:44:39 AM »
JimL (Jim Leininger, in Tustin, CA).  I'm sorta' a "long part-timer" at the salt.  I ran '69 right after returning from Nam; 2 records on a Honda 450 twin.  Used the 450 for drag racing in Colorado (where I lived), blew it up at the old Orange County International Raceway during the 1969 Wheelstand National Championships.  Turned the bike into a flat tracker (no good came from that), let it get made into a chopper (weird days, indeed), after which it became crispy (gasoline leak/fire). 

Fortunately I had enough of the original record bike left to get it all back together years later.  I ran it Time Only at last years meet, and hope to bring it out this year to let some younger folks make a pass or two.  I'll bring the '69 scrap book if you want to stop by and look for your picture when you had hair and could still tan.

I was a (Toyota) mechanic from 1969-1987, then came to CA on a hire by the Toyota headquarters.....been there ever since doing odd jobs and small repairs (so to speak).

Came back to B'ville in '95 with Dan Wagner to study and learn.  Lots of good advice/wisdom from Jack D, Rick and Nolan, Mike and Billy, JD and others.  We built a G/GMR over the next 2 years and ran in '97.  No record but the car earned some good coin for Kiwanis International "Iodine Deficiency Disorder" fund drive (running as a pledge car).  Believe it or not, one of the major charity donors was.....a salt company!  Kiwanis has done a great job with IDD (a major cause of retardation in poorly developed areas of the world, where there is insufficient iodine in the diet for healthy thyroid function and brain development).

I turbo'd the car for '98 and ran the record in (blown motor on the 2nd leg).  We got Dan in the book at 181 in 2000 (still there under G/BGMR).  Good old car, Bob Sights Jr. has it now and made it pretty, and hopefully faster, soon.

I worked on the 2004 Speedweek Prius project, where we finally got a 134 mile out of it.  Huge learning curve with the hybrid, and we would've been back....car got crashed hard at a track in Japan (really big hits to both ends).  Maybe next year.

Big thankyou to Russ and others MC guys who helped me bring the old bike up to current regs.  Words cannot describe the feeling of getting my chin down on the same old tank, hearing the same old sound, reliving that first pass....after 38 years.  No place like Bonnevillle, in the whole world.  We are a really lucky bunch of people, aren't we?

thanks all, for a great forum to read and learn from.

dwarner

« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2008, 08:29:12 AM »
Jim,

Thanks for the intro history. I was wondering where the hoards of Hybrids went. Since we opened the rules for Hybrids in the Production classes yours remains the fastest to date.

DW

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2008, 11:08:29 AM »
Let me add my voice to the chorus - Thanks JON, for all you do.  I'm sorry you had to clamp down, and I'm glad you did.

I'm Dan Stokes, and I don't need no stinkin' salt!  I got hooked on Maxton a couple of years back and have the privilege of being a part of the furniture there now.  Truth be told, I'd LOVE to get to the salt some day, but it's not currently in the picture.  I retired to Wilmington, NC about 3 years ago with my wonderful wife, Mary Ellen (not a car gal, but she puts up with me with good humor) and our white standard poodle, Beaux.  So we're 100.3 miles from our front door to The Track - 2 hours down US 74.  I'm on the ECTA website as Volunteer Coordinator, so if you would like to come work a race, please contact me and we'll set you up.

I'm retired after 31+ years in the vehicle emissions business, working at the EPA lab in Ann Arbor, MI.  I was a Mechanical Engineering Technician, which means I did whatever needed to be done.  Ran lots of cars and engines on dynos, built an engine here and there, pushed procurements thru, gave lots of lab tours, and on and on.  I even wrote a bit, and had a couple of articles published in Hot Rod back in the Ro McGonnegal days.  I messed with drag racing for many years, but got into land speed when my brother from Texas said "Let's go to that land speed track in North Carolina".  I said, "What track in North Carolina", and it's been all downhill from there.

I first ran land speed in my street-strip Mustang ('88 LX convert w/5.8) and did 132.1 at 3/4 throttle - something about the AOD wouldn't stay locked up.  I found a '78 Camaro with a 250 inline six here in my neighborhood and bought it cheap, so I'm racing it now in "E" engine class.  I copied Keith Turk's aero design and run that in ALT, but I can switch back to PRO when I want.  It was bone stock last year, but this year I have the good head and intake, headers, a Holley 600 (also stolen from Keith) and a new, shiny Delta cam, so we'll see where that takes me.

BTW - Seldom Seen Slim failed to mention that he is my "go to" driver in the Camaro, where he is consistently faster than I am.  I think it's because he gets a tighter tuck than I do.  He is currently the track record holder in E/CPRO in my car.  It's a blast to send someone else off in your car, at least for me.  Nancy has driven, too, and again she is faster than I am, but my excuse is that she's prettier than I am.

Enough for now

Dan Stokes
Volunteer Coordinator, ECTA
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2008, 02:01:45 PM »
Hi All -

My name is Scott Clark.  I got into the world of EFI tuning almost by accident.  I don't race or build my own project cars, but I share the tuning and electrical workload on a handful of other noteworthy street & race cars (and trucks).

I am a user, tester, and contributor to the ever-controversial, ultra-DIY "Megasquirt" project.  I helped develop a commercial version of it called the "EMS-Pro" which a few users on here will run this season.  I also have experience tuning, testing, and breaking pretty much all the other standalone EFI systems out there.

I was introduced to the Salt after I helped Gary Hart and Mike Collison implement a megasquirt on Gary's BBC Studebaker (Dyno video located in the Bild Diaries section), and I am hooked.  From my perspective, it's the best real-world proving grounds for any piece of machinery, electronics, hardware or software, that races there...   I've learned the most from this crowd of people, thus I frequent this board.  You all have a way with knowledge and information sharing, unlike any other racing venue - this I appreciate sincerely!!

I also trek to Maxton once a year, Keith and Tonya Turk have been gracious hosts and helped get me up to speed on rules, history, etc.  They also hooked me up with a lot of the cars I have been helping tune.

This being said, I hope all of you have a safe and successful season in 2008!!

-Scott

Offline gccutler

• Shotgun Hemi
  • New folks
    • cole cutler
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2008, 12:50:29 AM »
Hey all, my name is Cole cutler. Thundersalt dared me to post a intro so here it goes, what racer could pass up a dare!
  Let me first say what a great way to learn the history of the racers out there, good reading all.

Thundersalt gave a good account of our early days competing in worlds fastest streetrod events. My 34 was powered by a Boss 429 and for 3 years was the car to beat!

Went to the salt once prior to building a 53 stude with partner Vee Spinks in '92'. I built a one off 4 cylinder Merc cruiser block, prostock 460 head, hemi rods and half a tunnel ram with 2 holley 600's. Chased E/G comp coupe record for 4 years, 172mph best. Greg Everitt now has the stude.

Been racing a AA/mp 94 ford lightning for three years and had the record, 186mph, for three days in 06.

I decide to step up and try a lakester this year. entered into a partnership with Mike and Jack Harris with their rear engine top fuel type dragster chassis. They last raced the car on the salt in 97 at 258mph with a big small block. We'll be using my 638 alum. boss AR hemi with a comp c-6. I'll drive this year and one or both Harris's and myself next year. Goal? 300mph club!! I know- good luck!

Luck and records to all, Cole

Cole

Offline NS_Rider

• New folks
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2008, 06:55:00 AM »
Hello,
 I am Craig Beairsto, from the Beairsto Racing team. I live outside Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. I am a 32 year old long haul owner operator, or "professional tourist". Bonneville thoughts and dreams make the long trips go by that much faster. Seeing the Phoenix on the course at WOT, the stream of black smoke trailing behind, was amazing.
 My brother Scott, got me hooked on bikes when I was only little. Had my first one at 9. In 2002 he brought me to the Salt as a crew member. The family couldn't believe he was going to let me try to ride his bike. I did my rookie run, and I don't think you could have knocked the silly grin off my face. Last year, I got my A license.
 I have made it to the Salt every year since, except 2005 because of the weather. I tell everyone who will listen and even a few who don't want to about Bonneville. The best part of Bonnevile to me, can be summed up as the "Bonneville Experience." The fact that everyone is treated as an equal, whether your a crew member, a driver, or just a spectator.
 A huge thank you to everyone involved in making our sport, the community that it is. Jon and the moderators, thank you for your time and efforts.
Best of Luck to all, see you on the Salt,
Craig

Offline Bville701

« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2008, 02:38:21 PM »
Hello,

My name is Ryan LeFevers son of Michael LeFevers. I have been going to Elmo since I was about three years old. Many memorable times sitting on the back of the tailgate of our trck watching runs at the finish line, and later my dad letting me sit on his knee so that I can drive. Later came my first trip to Bville.

My first trip to Bville was in 1988 with the crew of Dwayne McKinney and the Sundowner. Believe it or not this trip got me hooked into LSR forever. I had the greatest time watching my dad work on the car. Also, me sitting in the car with him as we pushed it back to the line. Back then lines were long so they never really went back to the pits, they usually worked on the car in line.

I have been very fortunate to make many friends on the salt over the years, and consider many of these people my family.

The most memorable and greatest times I had on the salt was meeting Don Garlits, watching Al Teague run 432 MPH, heck watching any of the streamliners run for that mater, being part of Kugel's team with the 300 MPH Firebird, being included in Seth Hammond's team, my most of all watch my dad after so long become a member of the 200 MPH club.

We are now building a modified roadster and hopefully I will be able to someday follow in my father's footsteps.

I would like to thank Jon and the moderators as well for keeping this forum up and running. I like seeing what everyone is doing, and helping if I can. I would also like to thank all the people that help us keep running at Elmo and Bville. Without all these people I wouldn't have all the memories I do. Thanks again to everyone. See you at Elmo or on the salt.
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline Tom Simon

« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2008, 02:47:59 PM »
Tom Simon here...

Drag racer... mostly air-cooled VW's <simonracing.com> I started the NASA VW Drag Racing series and ran it for 7 years.  Also crewed on a blown alcohol dragster that ran NHRA TAD, then an injected nitro car for the same owner. I also crewed on a Top Fuel dragster three years ago (so it was only one single T/F race, who wouldn't brag about that on their racing resume? LOL).

I have been biten by the salt bug however, infected long ago and have been out to Bonneville twice. I crewed on one of Chet Herbert's blown hemi streamliners, and another nitro injected straight-8 Buick Lakester for a guy from Wyoming.

Someday I WILL go over 200mph on the salt...   

Offline Redfox-Racing

• New folks
« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2008, 09:28:17 PM »
Hi my name is Nathan and I was out at the Texas Mile this last weekend on Saturday.

My car: 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT-8 with a Bored and Stroked 6.1L to 7.0L (426 Hemi) Naturally Aspirated

I had a lot of fun and will be back in October, apparently we did pretty good on our last run, my best last year was a 157.454 MPH.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2008, 09:32:32 PM »
Tom Simon here...

Someday I WILL go over 200mph on the salt...  

Tom, it only took me 22 years from my first visit to go over 200, keep the faith, you are there...  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline promachine

« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2008, 03:53:52 PM »
My name is John Beck and I have a small machine shop and dyno facilty in Northern California. Dave Davidson, Donny Cummins and I run the 811 fuel roadster on the dirt and on the salt. We also ran the 511 street roadster for a breif time. :cry: I have been involved with many forms of motorsports over the years but put most of my efforts into LSR and sprint cars these days.
Thanks to Jon for putting up this site, I make it a habbit to come here everyday to see whats new and make sure nobody is bad mouthing the tractor drivers 8-)
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler