Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267573 times)

neatheryt

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2008, 02:09:44 PM »
 :-D

Glad you're back on-line!
I'm Truett Neathery, I'm an appraiser of machinery and equipment, my office is in Auburn, CA, about 30 miles east of Sacramento, and I live another 10 miles up Hwy. 80 in Applegate, a bustling community of 1500 on the way to Bonneville! I've never been there, even though it's only about 8 hours from here, but I spent a lot of time at El Mirage during the 50's & 60s, running speaker cables for the PA system with Jack Roach, helping J-Otto Crocker on the timing stand, etc. My friend and Roadrunner Dan Smethurst tried to run my modified Renault Dauphine but it overheated in the line and turned out, Roadrunner Tim Kraushaar (AKA Weed) ran my 59 Chev. 348 at the 1/2 mile drags at Riverside. I had a couple of Corvetteer friends, Kent Bewley (57 FI) and Jerry Eisert (56, roller cam, 6 2-brls., Scintilla Vertex). I think that 57 never did make it through the lights, I remember seeing it going around 360 with the doors and trunk lid open, something to do with lift at the rear, so they say. If anyone around here needs a crew member, I'm ready to go!!!
Thanks

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2008, 09:42:57 AM »
Paul from Poole

The members of the Speed Record Club in the UK include some fine modellers who create a range of cars as well as finding models of LSR vehicles from around the world.

A number of UK members travel to the BUB meeting and sometimes to Speed Week and World Finals meetings too - many will help you get to the salt.  One or two went out to early Lake Gairdner events in Australia.

Along with Bonneville Racing News the quarterly Fast Facts magazine from the SRC will keep you in touch with all forms of record breaking.  Join the SRC through the (improved) web site www.speedrecordclub.com

[I am biased as member 001 of the SRC and I was Chairman in the mid to late nineties].

Malcolm

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2008, 11:23:40 AM »
Hello everyone, my name is Scott Beairsto. I live in Innisfail, Alberta, Canada. At Speed Week 2000, I realized a life long dream of competing at the Bonneville Salt Flats. We ran 162mph on an '86 GSXR 1100, caught Salt Fever and have been coming back ever since. I enjoy the family atmosphere and the camraderie. I consider it an honour and a priviledge to be part of such a group of people.

My team is made up of friends, family and sponsors who support my adventures. I'm a member of the Land Speed Racers, I've only run at El Mirage once, in 2005, but I hope to return this year. I enjoy restoring and collecting vintage Japanese motorcycles. I'll turn 40 this year at Speed Week, still just a kid. I have lots of bikes and cars inside my head,just waiting to be built, there's a belly tank and a turbine engine in the garage sitting patiently. I love the variety of vehicles at Bonneville; flatheads, 2 strokes, small displacement, 400mph streamliners...it's all good.

I'm a heavy duty mechanic / hydraulic tech, I work on an oil rig in Tunisia, North Africa. The 35 day rotations allow me lots of time to putter away on the bikes. I'm working overseas right now, I was devastated when the site was down. Thank you Jon and the new moderators, for all that you do for our sport. I really enjoy reading about the different projects and how the builders solve their problems.

This year, we'll be running our Hayabusa in 2000 APS/G. We also have a Honda for 650 MPS/G and our Jason McVicar built R1 for the 1000 fuel classes. There's always cold Canadian beer in our pits at the end of the day, stop in for a visit.
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline rustyT

« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2008, 01:08:21 PM »
Hi, Im Phil Alexander #2727, I own a hot rod shop in Lewis,Colorado,its about an hour from Sums place(depends on whos driving) anyway,we have been to the salt twice,Speedweek and WF last year,had trans problems both times,we never thought that there would be enough traction to have the troubles we had,I guess thats why people take years to acheive the goals they set,Its a lot differant than any type of racing we have done before,we have raced off-road,circle track,rock crawling,and all types of three and four wheeler racing, this has been a great experiance and have met some great people,without Sumner,we would have never got the car done and darn sure should wouldnt have got thru tech!! Thanks Sum.
We will be at Speedweek with a completely different trans and hope to get some more lic.runs in and hopefully achieve our goal of 205mph. :-D
Thans to everyone on here for the help and support,and thanks Jon for not letting a few ruin it for all.
Thanks,Phil.

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2008, 06:08:09 PM »
Howdy, I'm Daryl White and want to say thanks to Jon for the website.

I own an automotive machine shop in Nashville and though I've been a drag racer for about 15 years, I only got into this LSR thing in the last few years.  A friend of mine came into my shop and said he picked up an Audi 5000 turbo Quattro and wanted to go 200.  I said, uh sure and we were off.  Of course that car is still not running but instead taking up dead space behind my shop.  But last year we went to a couple of the Maxton deals, had a blast and even set a couple records.  I also went to Bonneville with my pop and my nephew last year as spectators and had a ball.

How great is this website that I hooked up with the Richard White (no relation) of the MAXX2 crew and now I'm involved with that car and its efforts.  I'll be freshening up the Yates headed 358 he recently purchased and trying to bring up the power a bit. 

Looking forward to meeting as many of you ya-hoos as I can.
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline Robert Rampton

• New folks
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2008, 07:48:21 PM »
Time to jump in.  My name is Robert Rampton, or Bob if you like.  I live in a suburb of Salt Lake City called Taylorsville.  I am 56 years young and I am a lurker.  There I said it.  I'm proud of it.  Growing up most of my life in Utah, I became aware of the salt flats at an early age.  Probably one of the reasons I have had a life-long preoccupation with antique automobiles, automobile racing, lsr and automotive history.  I have been using this forum for several years to keep up-to-date about all things lsr.  I make my living as a graphic designer and I'm trying to have a side career in my old age as an automotive artist.  I made my first trip to the salt in 1988 and have only missed a couple of meets since then.  If I can't make it to Speed Week (rare) I will attend the USFRA events.  I am a mere spectator.  No fast car, no long-time crew, no club or speed record.  Just me, my camera gear and my sunscreen.  Took my wife one year and she was completely dumbfounded as to why anyone would do it, so I come alone.  I like it that way - me, the salt and everybody else.  It is one of the things in my life that I look forward to the most every year.  I never tire of it.  Glad the forum is back up.
Later.
Happily afflicted with salt fever since 1988.

Offline fwillyj

« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2008, 11:15:46 PM »
-My name is Bill Jones---another old guy from Taylorsville UT.

-First got involved in about 1983 with Jim Zupan and his 2000 pinto powered G/STR---went about 76 to 79mph the first event---eventually got that basic combination up the mid 150's and held 3 records for a few years---Jim built a new G/FMR and the same little engine did 168mph.

-Got involved with Roger & Judie Griffith's 71 Camaro when it was running in the 190's---helped Roger get to a  B/PRO record at 215 & change--then Rog let me build him a really nice 498engine to run in  /CPRO when Sonny Castor was driving---Rogers Camaro eventually ran 236 or so at the 4mile just before it blew up over a while back with the 498 rebuilt into about 588ci.

-Met and helped Kenny Kloth with his '49 merc when his car was in the 127mph range---helped get it up to where it has two MPH slips with 150 & change---still holds two records but Kenny sold the engine.

-I have a nice shop in my back yard and help a lot of local racers with fabrication--been doing head porting for about 40 years.

-Recently been helping Jesse Winders some with his VW power frontwheel drive pickup and will have a fresh old school style 306ci SBC done for Bud NcManus's Camaro for this season.

-here's a link to some of my stuff   http://www.ryanbrownracing.com/Bill_Jones_Photo_Gallery.html

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2008, 01:41:50 AM »
I guess its my turn(like anyone will read this).  Bill Anderson and I live in Riverside CA.  I run an old Norton at El Mirage and have made one trip to Bonneville(last year).  I bought the Norton (1960 model) in 1967 and have been abusing it ever since.  In its current incarnation it has a '74 Weslake speedway engine for power.  Its not overly fast but I'm not complaining.

I blame all of this on my Dad who loved motorcycles and Jim Culbert and his back motored '27 T that appeared in HRM in 1958(I think).  The photo of him tearing up El Mirage burned into my mind.  Went road racing in Ireland for a number of years(Dad's fault) and now as I fade into the sunset land racing fits just fine.  I've made some great friends and have some great memories.  And when you boil it down thats what its all about.

Thanks Jon for this forum.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline thrust39

• New folks
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2008, 07:07:08 AM »
Paul from Poole

The members of the Speed Record Club in the UK include some fine modellers who create a range of cars as well as finding models of LSR vehicles from around the world.

A number of UK members travel to the BUB meeting and sometimes to Speed Week and World Finals meetings too - many will help you get to the salt.  One or two went out to early Lake Gairdner events in Australia.

Along with Bonneville Racing News the quarterly Fast Facts magazine from the SRC will keep you in touch with all forms of record breaking.  Join the SRC through the (improved) web site www.speedrecordclub.com

[I am biased as member 001 of the SRC and I was Chairman in the mid to late nineties].

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,
Thank you for alerting me to the Speed Record Club. I will have a good look through the site and may well join. My model collection is small at this stage but will hopefully grow soon.  I doubt as I will be able to go to the Salts this year as my business is still not a year old and I need to concentrate on that. Also I am getting married on 26th April this year, so our honeymoon will be my holiday this year! Maybe next year, who knows. Thanks again
Paul.
If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs...     (Kipling)

PonchoPistoles

« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2008, 07:12:13 AM »
Hi, all:
First post. I have been lurking about for some time and have learned a lot from this forum.  Enjoyed watching the cat fights at first, but it got old and annoying after a while.  Looks like things should be better now.
Jon, thank you for sponsoring this show and for bringing it back with tighter control.  I admire you greatly (even though your ride has only half a set of wheels).
My name is Frank Scott. I live in Long Beach, CA and am a member of the Gear Grinders.  I have been on the timing crew for a few years now (I'm the one with the pleasant voice) and I greatly enjoy the privilege of being involved with this great sport and all the fine people associated with it, competitors and staff. As you all know, there isn't a nicer group of people to be found anywhere.
I first came to the salt in '62 and was addicted within 20 minutes. Came back in '63 and '64, then circumstances dictated a long break.  Now I feel like I'm home again and love it.

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2008, 10:46:52 AM »
Hello all, I'm Peg Leg Craig, Living in beautiful downtown Fawnskin Ca. Got bit buy the motorcycle bug early in life, worked in shops once I quit my Herald Examiner paper route. Raced bikes in most forms for fun and not profit. I saw Breedlove's car at the L.A. County fair as a kid and was courious about B'ville for many years. I spent 20+ years working on and building ski lifts untill the fall of 98. When I began to walk on carbon fiber and learn to ride a sidecar. I traveled and visited friends, went to race meetings and such. At one such meeting I met the "Flying Kiwi" sidecar team who had just set the FIM record, I got a funny feeling and one thing led to another. I took the bike to B'ville in Sept of 06 for the BUB meet and with the help of Bob Bakker and friends went 168mph average for an SCS 1000 AMA record. Since then I've been working on the bike with Kent Riches to make it faster and safer. A new chassis and saftey equipment to bring it up to SCTA spec has been a bunch of work, but should bring a nice turn of speed :-D I want to thank all the people on this site that encouraged me to go racing again and meet a great bunch of people who are here for the love of the sport. I'm proud to be a SDRC member.
 THANK YOU JON!, for all you do.

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2008, 04:19:10 PM »
Richard Thomason from small and rural Eastern Washington, Brewster. Went to the salt first time in 1979 with my long-time friend and partner Ed Tradup. Both Ed and I are apple farmers and we always bring apples with us to share. We showed up for tech at the airport and what an experience. We had decided to take a couple of years of spectating to try learn a little about the salt and trying to decide what we could possibly build. On that first day Jack Dolan came up to us and gave us a rule book. That my friends is the first step down the road to perdition. Also met my long lost shirttail relative Glenn Fruedenberger and wev'e been great friends ever since. Well we got hooked. Spent the next year scheeming and dreaming. Went back for speedweek again the next year. We nailed down what we wanted to build and had the car on the salt for the 1981 Speed Week. That car was the original Danny Boy. Trust me, we made every mistake in the book over the years. We have been keenly involved ever since that first trip. We have even managed to set a few records over that time and go moderately fast. Wouldn't have missed this for the world. Thanks Jon.
rht

Offline smcleod007

« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2008, 04:45:37 PM »
Hi all,

Scott McLeod from Washinton here. I am a local contractor in Seattle that got bitten by the drag race bug in 2006 which evolved into the land speed bug in 2007. This makes me a total LSR newbie :roll:.   My professional work history started in the 80's as a missile/weapons tech for the Navy and then an electrician & mechanic for Boeing. In the 90's I quit Boeing and started up an Unlimited Hydroplane team with a few of my friends and tried to help create a Can/Am series for the older piston boats. We all missed the roar of the old Allison and Rolls Royce engines that were being phased out by the newer turbines. Major sponsors were hard to come by and after 4 years of trying to keep the series going and spending all of my savings I decided to throw in the towel and get a real paying job again. I was completely burnt out on having to eat 'Top Ramen' and 'Kraft macaroni & cheese' all the time.

After Hydroplane racing I went to work for several boat yards as an electrician & mechanic and eventually got into remodeling apartments for a property company which I still do to this day among several other side jobs. I've always been a motorhead and a tinkerer and there's a saying that everything that comes into the house will eventually get modified, so don't leave your toys laying around when I'm bored cause they might start talking to you in the middle of the night..... :evil:

Anyways, last year at the International Motorcycle show I gazed upon the BUB streamliner and the LSR bikes of Falkner/Livingston racing. After talking to the Livingstons at the end of the show a light came on in my head and I suddenly realized that this was the hobby I was always meant to do. The guys from FL Racing  hooked me up with parts and the info to convert my Hayabusa into a fun LSR machine. I studied the posts on Landracing.com ( Thanks Jon for giving us such a cool website! ), and learned most of the Do's and Don'ts for prepping a motorcycle for LSR there. The rest was picked up from Jason McVicar. I have now been to Bonneville and El Mirage and I can truly say that Land Speed Racing is extremely addictive. You know you got it bad when you start daydreaming at a jobsite about which cordless drill your using has the best aerodynamic advantage at speeds over 200mph and how to incorporate their features into your next body design :-D. Thanks to all the people who helped me last year and I hope to see you this year.

Scott
bike #6880

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2008, 05:37:10 PM »
Hello I'm Duane and I'm a Salt Addict, I'm 48 yrs. old and have been working for General Motors just over 26 yrs. now. I grew up in So. Cal. and was always involved with some sort of motorsport or another. I just never made it out to El Mirage even though I knew a few people who ran out there. I currently live in Tn. just South of Nashville. I dont have the Salt credentials many others here have, but I do have the desire and interest to be at Speed Week every year from now on whether I'm working with a crew, the course or just spectating.

I was given the oppurtunity to take a hotel room during Speed Week from an " Internet Friend " in 2004. I also got to meet up with another Internet Friend who I had met online earlier in 2004 during that trip and have since become good friends with him and his wife. I finally got to meet up with the person I got the room from at SW 2005. I've had the oppurtunity to crew with a couple of differant teams and last year I worked as a Course Steward during Speed Week. I've made a few other friends while being out there and look forward to meeting up with everyone in August for now on.

My Son and I went out to Maxton last year as Spectators and we are looking forward to making a few passes there this year during the June Event. My Son will be doing most of the driving since I would like to get him involved also ... if he does then we'll take it from there and see what happens. I cant say if I'll ever enter a car to run at Bonneville, but I'm not brushing the idea off either. For now I am very happy helping others, spectating or just walking through the Staging lanes checking out all the entries.

As someone who came from a Drag Racing background and addiction it is great to see other vehicles and combinations than a Camaro with a BBC in it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 05:49:35 PM by DCarr511 »

Offline GH

« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2008, 10:11:59 AM »
Well, I guess it's time for me to step up to the plate (not the eating plate). My name is Gary Hart, I am 66 years of age, sometimes I fell every bit of it. I reside in Springfield Missouri, tried drag racing about 1958 through 1963, had to quit because of family obligations. Racing never gets out of your blood, I went 25 years and made the mistake of going and watching a friend drag race a 1962, 409 Chevy  and I was off and running again, Built a 41 Willys A/GS car that I raced for 13 years. I went to the salt in 1997 to see it, got hooked just like most others. Dan Hix and myself built the green 1950 Buick to go salt racing. Then I decided I wanted to go faster, so I built the car I now have #787 Studebaker. I have made many mistakes and the learning process is very very slow. I want to thank my wife (crew chief, Sandy), Mike C, Scott Clark, Jerry Hoffman, and Mike H. My thanks also to Jon @ Landracing.com and all the moderators and SCTA-BNI and all the volunteers. Well, I guess that's enough rambling. Cya on the SALT...