Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2275058 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2008, 04:52:25 PM »
..................I am 75 years old now and am only thinking about how I would do the next liner if I could turn the clock back.
Hope to get back on the salt to visit someday.
Howard

Howard we miss you and you have been an inspiration to me for sure and I still have the build pictures of your car that I photographed out of your build diaries.  I sent some to Earl and he was thrilled to have them.  75 years old......I can't believe that... you don't look much over 50.  Sure hope to see you on the salt or come up to Blanding if you get a chance, I'm just straight north of you.

I for one am looking for a lot more posts from you since you have so much good solid based on fact info that would be invaluable to many of us,

Sum

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2008, 06:08:54 PM »
Okay, let's see what I can put down here.

Wait a minnit - put downs aren't what we want, right?  Maybe I should choose a better start.  Well, anyway, I'm Jon Wennerberg, otherwise known as Seldom Seen Slim.  My wife Nancy and I are the team of S S S -- and before you read another line, I'll promise that I won't hassle anyone about commas, misspelled words, or the like any more.  I have to accept that I probably caused some bad feelings out there -- and - well, whatever, please forgive me.

Second of all, Nancy and I race bikes.  We started going to Bonneville in 2000, to spectate, 'cause she got tired of me whining about how "I want to go 200 on a bike".  She told me to look into Bonneville on the Internet -- and hey, eight years later, here we are, with me having a pair of 2 Club Certificates on the wall at the office.  She went with on the first trips just to enjoy some vacation-in-the-sun time -- and without a thought of riding a bike on the Salt.  Well, one time we set up her Ninja 250 and she rode it and had a good time, but that was enough.  She had no interest in the "big" bike -- too tall for her, her feet couldn't touch the ground.  That ended one day after we had put the new bodywork on it and she sat astride it in the pits and I had the temerity to notice.  "Busted!" was her comment, and she started riding it.  Her best pass so far is a 185.304, and one of the days she'll get her "A" license, too.

Other stuff - Nancy and I are privileged to host Salt Talks, the annual Land Speed Racer Gathering at the Bend in the Road during SpeedWeek.  It's a picnic and social gathering for everyone who cares to attend -- hamburgers, hot dogs, pasties, cold drinks and good times.  A raffle, T-shirts, and more bench racing than you've ever seen in one location.  Stay tuned for details.

Oh, yes -- where is Marquette, Michigan?  Look it up -- we really are "way up north".  140" or so of snow so far this year -- worse still, that's about 18" BELOW normal.  Visit our website for a story about my Oshkosh snowplow truck.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Eric_Noyes

• http://www.geocities.com/buddfab/buddfab3
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2008, 06:34:03 PM »
Hello

I'm Eric Noyes and often watch the musing of the others on this board but seldom post.  John Buddenbaum and I (with the help of Rick Yamane and others) have spent the last few years attempting to set the 50cc motorcycle streamliner record.  We have the AMA record, the SCTA record, but have not surpassed the 1981 FIM World record…yet (this should be the year; but then last year should have been the year, and before that and…) hope springs eternal.

Land speed racing has allowed us to develop near world class skill at friction bonding a high silicon aluminum piston to an electrodeposited oleophilic nickel matrix silicium carbide coated cylinder bore.  Our last dyno test involved the use of a turbocharger methanol and 20% nitromethane; and ended with verification of the shear strength of the bond with a hammer; prior to engine disassembly.

After a few more tests we hope to be ready for El Mirage in May.

If you would like more information; look for: Buddfab Streamliner in the Build Diaries (now on page 5) and then go to our website at:

http://www.geocities.com/buddfab/buddfab3

Eric Noyes

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2008, 07:04:55 PM »
I thought I had a photo of that Buddfab metallurgy experiment somewhere.  I did.  Here it is:

Nice work in the theoretical metallurgy area.  Perhaps you can use a more sophisticated method of shear strength verification on your next proof of concept test. :)

And here's one of the pics of Sumner's chopped and flamed Jimmy:

RtR
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 07:18:11 PM by RayTheRat »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2008, 07:28:42 PM »
I thought I had a photo of that Buddfab metallurgy experiment somewhere.  I did.  Here it is:

Nice work in the theoretical metallurgy area.  Perhaps you can use a more sophisticated method of shear strength verification on your next proof of concept test. :)

And here's one of the pics of Sumner's chopped and flamed Jimmy:

RtR

The sad thing is that their 3 cubic inch streamliner is faster than my 350 cu. in. truck  :cry:.  I'm hoping to fix that with the motor I'm building now, but in the cc per mph race I'll still be far, far behind  :-).  Those guys will wrap up the FIM record for sure.  I have no doubts about that and what an accomplishment that will be along with the rest of their records.  I think some more will follow that also  :-),

Sum

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2008, 08:09:40 PM »
My name is Chris Conrad, and I discovered this site and forum about 8 months ago.  I’ve been a fan of land speed racing since I was about 7 years old, when I’d go to the library and thumb through Hot Rod and Rod and Custom magazines.  But I got hooked when ABC’s Wide World of Sports telecast Gary Gabelich’s run in 1970.  The Blue Flame was built in my hometown, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  I refer to it as “Beerhaven”.

I work with a sound company here in Milwaukee, play in two bands, and enjoy the sounds of Bob Wills or the Rolling Stones nearly as much as I do a Keith Black hemi or a V-12 Jaguar.

My first trip to El Mirage was in 1993 – Flew out with my dad to the November meet – a 2 day event at the end of the year.  My father used to drag race his 62 Dodge Dart (318, three-on-the-tree!) and introduced me to stock car racing, SCCA and IMSA events at Brainerd, Road America and Mid America.  On top of that, both my grandfathers helped me build a Soap Box Derby car.

My wife and I have been to Bonneville twice since then, and with her support and encouragement, I now have a pile of MG parts in the garage (and basement, and attic) that I am turning into an I/GT Midget.  This should be fun – I stand 6’5”.

Jon has assigned me the “Non-LSR” site to moderate, which should be an interesting challenge. I’m happy to handle this forum because we all have interests outside this sport/hobby, and I’m curious as to what more we all have in common.  This would be the place to go if your posts don’t fall into a clearly defined “LSR” subheading, but run adjacent to it.  All the rules will still apply, and I anticipate courteous, light-hearted, yet informative conversation will be the norm.  It permits us to keep the other headings clearly focused, but still gives us the opportunity to discuss common interests.  I think of it as the party on the patio.

Three more things –

1 A warm welcome to all “newbies”.

2 There are no dumb questions -  BUT - before you post, try using the search function. There’s nothing new under the sun, and if it involves Land Speed Racing, it might already have been posted.

3. There is a function on the postings that you make which permit you to modify your postings – essentially, an edit feature.  If you make a post that you later feel uncomfortable about, or that you spoke inaccurately in, you can always go into your post and correct it.  I’ve used it a couple of times, and I know it’s helped keep the egg off of my face.   

It’s good to be here, and if I can be of service, contact me through the forum.

Chris
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 08:08:04 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2008, 08:14:38 PM »
  Hi my name is Vince Norton. I am 46. I live in E Wenatchee Washington. I work as a hydro mechanic at a dam on the Columbia River.  In 2002 I had the good fortune (made the mistake ?) of driving the hot rod down to Speedweek just to say I had been there and make a roadtrip in the coupe. Well life has never been the same since. Built a Gas Roadster, first ran in 04, 202 MPH best so far.
    I have said from the first trip that LSR is the coolest thing I have I have ever seen done with a car and I proud to be doing it. This is the best group of people I have ever been envolved with. This is just an amazing thing we get to do and I can't say enough good things about the people (SCTA) that make this happen. Thanks to Jon for this site.
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline Mac

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2008, 08:15:29 PM »
Hi,
I'm Miriam Macmillan and this is my second year land speed racing. I crewed for my husband last year when he raced his Acura RSX and did really well for a rookie. I had a choice to either become a racing widow (figuratively), or get involved - I chose the latter!  :-D  This year we are feverishly building my car (after I was left on the line twice last season due to weather and having to run as second string) and hope to have it together by May. I am also secretary for The Rod Riders.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2008, 12:09:48 AM »
Iam Mike Kilger  38 own a custom sheet metal shop in Riverside CA ,building cars and sheet metal work for 20 years  went to bonneville the first time in 1999 with Gary Brauer 716 fuel roaster helped Gary and Mike at elmo and bonneville  with car for a few years. I havn't missed a bonneville meet since. I helped SCTA with the emergency response team  at elmo and bonneville for a couple of years (Glen thinks he's got the best seat) LOL  (thanks Glen for your help)  Iam building a fuel roaster  right now hope to have it at bonneville this year dont know if we will make it thought. maybe w/f not speedweek for sure at this point.  love to help out when I can  land racing has a bunch of good guys in it. Thanks to Gary its been a big part of my life.

Offline flatman

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2008, 12:13:13 AM »
Hi:  I'm Jerry Wortman we live in Big Sky, Montana.  A great place to live but not a real good place to interact with car people.  This site has been a huge help to me since last year was our first year at Bonneville and I had lots of questions. I finished our blown flathead 35 Ford last winter in our garage.  It was a street rod that we have had since 1964. On the way down to Bonneville I told my wife, Linda that we should consider ourselves successful if we pass tech inspection.
After lots of thrashing we passed tech and got in 3 runs before we "blowed up".
I'm a retired Northwest Airlines pilot & flew B52's out of March AFB and Viet Nam.
I grew up in Iowa and up until 2 years ago had only read about Bonneville.  I consider it a real honor to be able to participate with all of you that have been involved with Bonneville over the years.  When people ask me what Bonneville is like my best description is that it is, "A bunch of old guys doing what we wish we could have done when we were 18".   
We have a 37 Ford street rod in the garage that we hardly drive.  I got tired of the "my car's shinier than yours" street rodders.
We are members of the Denver Flatheaders and race our 35 at Bandimere.
We also race a flathead powered vintage hydroplane that was built in 1948 by Keith Black and Rich Hallet.
Thanks again for getting the site up and running again so I can ask more dumb questions.

Online SPDRACR

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2008, 12:18:53 AM »
Hello Out there in Landracing land, I'm Eric Eyres 2nd Generation LSR junkie Current president of the San Diego Roadster Club. Lurk alot here, but chime in when I think it can help. My first trip to El mirage I slept in the trunk of my dad's 64 Galixie, First Bonneville 1971 5yrs old. Always a roadster racer first, but I been known to test a few others, Currently chasing the a/gr record with my father's and my #832 gas roadster, and engine support in a corvette and a modified roadster. Also 1 last undercover project with the Bob's Garage boys. It was supposed to be a quite winter, oh well. If any one ever has any SDRC questions feel free to contact me at spdracr@mgci.com.
Also a big thanks to Jon for letting us get to use this great forum. Thank you Eric
salt is OK, but the DIRT is where it's at!
Proud 2nd generation Roadster Racer
Muroc 2 club, El Mirage 2 club, Now Bonneville 2 club,       All in a Roadster

Offline Bob Ellis

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2008, 06:01:29 AM »
Hi,I'm Bob Ellis,living in Brisbane ,Australia!(New Zealander, originally!)I'm the Queensland delegate for the DLRA,have been racing on lake Gairdner since 2000.My  passion in life is LSR.Craig Breedlove has been a Hero of mine since birth!That is why there is a quote from him on my car! Kieth Turk can verify this,as he has seen it in person.I've been into cars longer than most care to be,and am lucky to have done most things associated with the beloved automobile!In the past have had  '39 chev coupe's, '55,'56,'chevy's ,'64 galaxy,and various aussie cars.These days I have a '71 fastback mustang(Sports roof) in concour's condition,a '23 Tbucket (Fad tee),two '82 holden work utes (pickups),'79 Bedford bus (racecar transporter),and the 66 Falcon,which currently holds the C/GCC record in Aust,at 204.something mph.Along way off Wooden's record,but we are still trying!Cheers,Bob #66 C/GCC.
Wanna go fast??  Come to Lake Gairdner! (It's Down Under!!)

Offline Bow

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2008, 12:36:58 PM »
Hello, I'm Bow ( like Bow and arrow), which is a name that stuck after my NAVY days...

I have yet to be to Bonneville or El Mirage, but I have a dream and an Engine to go with it.. now I just need something to put it in and time. Right now I'll be happy to the Texas Mile during one of the events there.

I live in Houston, TX and work as an Avionics Senior Field Engineer on a NASA Contract. I have lurked and posted on this site for the better part of 2 years, learning and planning my ride... maybe someday, I'll get it together.

Jon, glad to see the forum back, thanks for your efforts.
Bow

Cut with an axe, Beat to fit, Paint to match

Offline Don Brent

• New folks
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2008, 01:10:11 PM »
Hi,  Like it says to the left, I'm Don Brent.  I usually lurk on the site checking out the tech posts and the build diaries.  My first Bonneville was 1991 as a spectator where I decided that it was what I wanted to try.  I came home, sold a front motored dragster I had been working on, and started on a flathead modified roadster.  (Used an engine I had stored since the 1962 Winternationals.)  I made my first run at El Mirage in 1994 and Bonneville in 1995.  The car is #108.  It was originally built as front engine  car but after several years it was time for a change and when the rules changed I converted it to a rear engine modified.  Over the years it has been fun, never close to the record (I have little hope to catch up with the results that Jim Stevens has achieved) but at least competitive among the NA flatheads.  Right now the car is apart again for a another complete rebuild.  Oh, I have been a member Of the San Diego Roadster Club from the days when you actually had to meet the requirements for membership.
Best regards, Don
Don

Someday I have to give up on flatheads.

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2008, 03:40:29 PM »
Greetings. My name is Jim Fischer, more commonly known as Uncle Jimbo. First off, a big thank you to Jon for keeping this web site going. I actually missed it being off line there for awhile. I generaly do more reading then posting. So here we go.  Iam one of those bike guys, but still love seeing all the cars, lakesters, streamliners and all the wild configurations that the LSR people come up with. To me you guys and gals are the greatest when it comes to the old saying, "Yankee ingenuity".
I started realizing my need for speed back in the late 60's, drag racing my first Honda, then a BSA Lightning, then on to the Harleys. The project bike Iam curently working on is an old 1974 H.D. Iron Head Sportster. My goal with this machine is to push it faster then any other has gone with original equipment carbuation. So far a 125.5 and aiming for 140. Yes hope springs eternal. Have been to Maxton but I caught "salt fever" several years ago at the AMA BUB meet, and have been back every year since. Someday I hope to be able to afford making it to Speedweek also. Coming from Chicago, we sleep in the truck on the way to Bonneville to help save a buck or two, it realy makes it an adventure. The land speed community has some of the nicest people on the planet, and the sunrise on the salt is like a religious experience to me.
Respectfully
Jim Fischer
Project Gray Ghost
AMA - LSR - M/PP 1350
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664