Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267414 times)

Offline 1 fast evo 2

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 10:45:57 AM »
Hello everyone. My name is Mike Reichen.
First and foremost I would like to thank Jon for bringing the site back as it seems to be that I have become addicted to finding out as much info as possible on most things having to do with landspeed racing and this site is my best resource.
As for me I have done all kinds of racing in my time(short as it is), but most of the time I was either drag racing or cruising the streets. For the last 10-12 years I have been into drag racing mitsubishi imports and my latest car is an evo 2 that is a pretty good drag car that is now halfway a land speed car(it will have to do until I can build a dedicated lsr car).
I would once again like to thank Jon and all the other people on this site that have helped to answer my questions or that will answer my next questions.
                                          Mike Reichen
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010

Offline sfm1951

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 10:49:52 AM »
Hi everybody I'm Steve Maeder ( SFM1951) I've been a member for about six months. I used to race dirt track modifieds, ( can't get into the car anymore without cramping up LOL ) Both my boys now drive Mod 4'S . We run Ford 2.3 motors and we buzz them about 8,200 RPM on 3/8 mile local dirt tracks with the cars weighing 1,650# with the driver. We build almost all of the cars. We all work in heavy industrial construction. My hobbies are Street Rods,Race Cars, Motorcycles and Metalworking.  I've always been a fan of Bonneville . Me, my boys ,and our engine builder are  toying with building a Street Roadster or a bellytanker.  I live in Cohasset in northern minnesota not quite at the roads end, but you can see it from here

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 10:55:33 AM »
Mike
Welcome aboard. LSR is a unique motorsport and enjoyed by many generations as well as being the oldest form of the sport. There are no spec cars or bikes like other racing venues. Your project sounds like a good place to start. If you haven't been to the salt you should try to go with a camera and a note book. Spending time at inspection and in the pits will blow you away. It might also help make your long term plans as to what type of vehicle you want to build later.
Keep us posted and use this forum to ask questions, we are here to help. :-)
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 11:11:37 AM »
Hi i'm Sumner Patterson, most of you know me as Sum, and I first went to b'ville in '91.  I had moved to SE Utah and gotten back into cars (street rods) a couple years earlier and had always wanted to go to Speed Week since I read about it in the late 50's and now that I was at least in the same state (430 miles away though) I went.  Been going ever since, but as a spectator until 2004 when Hooley started running his Stude.  We had met two years earlier when John (WZJUNK) who I had know awhile brought Hooley and 6 other guys from OK and MO to my place and then on up to the salt.

I've wanted to build a car since the late 90's but due to work and other things didn't get started on it until 3 years ago.  Hopefully, hopefully it will make it's first pass down the salt at one of the meets this year.  I appreciate all that I've learned here, thanks to Jon having the site, and more importantly all of the friends that I now have as a result of this site being on the Internet.  It can get lonely down in SE Utah.

As some of you know I have a site where I've tried to pass on info also and have meet a lot of nice racers as a result of that project.

c ya on the salt,

Sum
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 11:14:20 AM by Sumner »

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 11:33:12 AM »
Hello everyone, my name is Chris Cooley and I’m 35 years old. I’ve been a land speed racing enthusiast since I was about 5 years old when my father and I ran across an SCTA meet out at El Mirage while out camping and trail riding. My father and I went back for meets for many years as we both admired all of great cars and people involved in land racing and each of us have always dreamed of building our own family car to bring out and run. Obviously this hasn’t happened yet, as we are still on the sidelines watching. (Anyone got a Studebaker lying around?)

I’ve spent most of my life on the motocross circuit racing and chasing the dream of one day being a factory rider; however injuries held me back from making it to the pinnacle of the sport. Since retiring from motocross I got involved in speed boats and offshore power boating, but I have temporarily given that up in an effort to chase another dream of Sprint Car Racing. I’ve raced once and tested a few times, and to say I’m hooked is an understatement. I worked on a team for a year to gain a better understanding of how the cars work mechanically and I’m now chasing the all mighty dollar to go racing.

Back to land racing…my father and I after years and years of saying we were going to go, finally made our first trip to Bonneville in 2006. To say that we were spoiled was an understatement, as the salt was the best it had been in 15 years. We attempted to go again last year, but pulled the plug as we were about to pull out of the drive way as we decided the conditions didn’t sound like they were worth making the drive for, so I sat at home all week right here on landracing.com and read all of the great reports from Bonneville.

Sorry for such a long post, so to wrap it up, I’m a speed junky and I look forward to someday building cars to come play with you guys.

Good luck to everyone and I look forward to meeting you at an event some day soon! 

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 12:44:28 PM »
My turn
Thanks Jon. and thanks to the guys that volunteered to help moderate.

I am Rick Byrnes
Came to B'ville in 86 after having been involved with a drag race 2.3 Ford Turbo Coupe, and got hooked.
I came back every year while building the Merkur and finally raced in 91 and with many trials the car got me into the 2 club in 98 having been at 200 + - 5 MPH for about 5 years I just couldn't put two in a row together.
Ran the 2.3 Merkur for a couple more years as a N/A motor, and my son driving picked up a couple of records, but Don Vesco convinced me that I wanted to build a liner.....oh boy was I in trouble.
Well after being sidetracked doing the lakester, I am finally committed, and in the middle of suspending the car and converting to streamliner.
At the slow pace I'm going I don't know if the car will race this year, but if not I will be at SpeedWeek as a volunteer.
I did some volunteer last year before SW and it was quite rewarding.

Welcome to all newcomers. 

Rick

Rick

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 12:57:28 PM »
Dave Haller Here,
I live in a small northwest town about 18 miles west of Olympia, Washington. Great living in a small town and commuting to work in my issued vehicle. I am a Major Crimes Detective with the Thurston County Sheriff's Office and handle Homicide and other violoent felonies. I have admired racers at both El Mirage and Bonneville since reading about them in Hot Rod back in the fifties. I always wanted to participate but was to busy working and raising kids to make it. Drag raced in Southern Cal in the late sixties and early seventies but got clear out of it when I joined and worked for LAPD as a street cop for thirtenn years. Got hurt really bad in 1983 and returned to my home in the northwest in 1984 where I got to start all over again at the ripe old age of 40. Happily married to my bride of twenty five years and still have two young children at home. Victoria is my miracle girl. Born with a bad heart, two open heart surgeries with more on the plate through the rest of her life. My car number is 93, the year she was born. My son Jacob is a joy and being an older dad is awesome. I race an A/FL built by Mike Cook, my friend, and his cousin Billy (the Captain) Hodges. Bought it as a roller two years ago, first runs at Speedweek 07, new car gremlins but am fixing all those now. Looking forward to many more years out on the salt racing the new car and fellowshiping with all the non cop friends I've made out there. Don't get me wrong, my partners in law enforcement up this way are family to me, racers out on the salt that I've come to know are also like family to me but on a different scale. Hope to take one of my very best friend's record away from him, Marlo Triet at 292. That is an almost impossible task but I'm having a very good time trying.
I respect you all and feel very honored to be a part of the many good people who particpate out there on the salt where there are no faster people on the planet, the good old American hot rodder, and some from overseas.
God Bless you all and see you on the salt!!!!! 8-)

Offline Freud

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 01:03:51 PM »
My sign on name is FREUD. I use that because Ed Roth assigned my nick name (Doc Freud) in 1968. With a last name of Freudenberger and a degree in Optometry, it covered all the bases. I live in Everett, WA. My first trip to B'ville was 3 months after I graduated from college in 1963. ('lotta good guys had '63 as their first trip)
I was shooting fotos at the drag races and it took me a few years before the camera interrupted my spectating experiences on the salt. The foto on the cover of CYCLE Magazine (December 1969) opened a new world for me. For a few years I printed fotos in my room at the Wendover Best Western Hotel. I have people tell me that the fotos from 1975 are still on the wall at home or in the shop. Reality slapped me in the face several years ago when a fellow told me he remembered me from his early trips to the salt when he was a young kid. The clincher was when he concluded with the statement, "Now you're one of the Old Timers." I guess that was what was required to be the most recent inductee in the Kilo Club.
2008 will include my 118th trip to the salt. Private time, WOS, World Finals  and Speed Week have had years with 5-6 trips.
Then in the 80's I went nuts and rode a TZ 750 to capture the spirit of the racer. My tough teacher was Don Vesco and I treasure the time we had together.
When I add a slight bit to my learning curve, I will post the building diary on Marlo Treit's website (www.target550.com) and keep everyone up to date on his streamliner build.
For the past 8 years I have done the foto diary of the Gas Up event for the Gold Coast Roadster and Racing Club. That has given me the opportunity to be in a "one on one" situation with the heros of LSR.  So I have enjoyed a closeness with a marvelous group of talented people. For that I am most grateful.
With the help of a few dear friends, I put on the B'ville NW Reunion each year. This site is my closest link to the racers and so it is with great dedication  that I will do all possible to help Jon and Keilani keep it afloat.

Aging ugly,
FREUD

« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 01:26:21 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Mac3170

• New folks
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 01:07:54 PM »
I am Larry McKinney in Kokomo, Indiana. I just about had heart failure when this site went down.  I am about 99% finished with my motorcycle powered car streamliner, and I am counting on members of this site for the help I will need. I saw the salt flats for the first time in my life last August, and I knew before the end of my one day visit that I had to build one of these things. The depth of my knowledge and the help I will need should be obvious.

I have some race experience in various formats, and build all my own race cars. The streamliner is the most interesting project, probably because I am having to rethink everything I do with this car. 

I am 65, enjoying life, & tell the women I am self employed, not retired. THANK YOU for restoring this site.

John Romero

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 01:11:59 PM »
I’m John Romero, 42 and I have been racing in one form or another for the last 15-20 years.

I started around 1990 working on IMSA and LeMans cars. Farted around with those till about 1995 when I joined Honda with their IndyCar program. Did that until 2002 when I joined my present company where I do engine management stuff. Visited El Mirage for the first time in May of 2003 and got hooked. Figured I wanted to try something interesting and not easy. Set the 2 club as my goal and picked a class where I was not at all sure that I could be successful (1,500cc in a full size car). Ran my Honda for the first time in 2004. Still trying to get a record over 200 on the salt. The car can “do it” but doing it and solidifying it with a record are two very different things.

In 2006 a group of friends and I found a 1955 moped and now we run it in the vintage 50cc classes at Bonneville and El Mirage. I am almost ashamed to say that we have more standing records with that bike (5) than I have with the Car (3). Does that make me a bike guy?

I’m currently building a new car in addition to my Honda. It’s a 31 roadster with a flathead and all period speed equipment except for the safety. It was a total basket case and really has required a 100% rebuild/repair from the very bottom to the top. Spent an absurd amount of time doing a full bolt in cage so I can drive it on the street as well as race it. It wont be really fast but it will be fun and that’s the point. It might finally see the light of day in 2009 at an El Mirage event. Maybe if I get time I will do a build diary on it.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 01:40:24 PM »
Alright, my name is Pork Pie...
...ok...some know me under my real name Thomas Graf...but I got the Pork for the last 30 years.....and so I'm known at the salt.

Thomas Graf sounds German...and it's German....from a place between Stuttgart and Heidelberg and also the birthplace of the famous NSU bikes......therefore I have to apologize in advance for my bad English......

I'm in speed since 1970, last year I had my 25th anniversary at the salt.

People know me as a photographer and land speed historian with a little bit technical background - or you can say a little bit technical knowhow (I'm an engineer in automotive design with some experience in the wind tunnel).
Sometimes I make my comment to technical and historian requests here on the forum - so good as my English allowed me to do......

I'm part of the McBride & Moreau Racing Team from Spokane/WA.....the team runs a succesful small streamliner, but was off the salt since August 2002, when we got just a fire in the engine compartment.
We will be back in September 2008 - cross the fingers.....

To find me at the salt is very easy....I'm the guy with a big Akubra hat on and a funny green vest with a big note on the back "life begins at 200 mph....."

Alright Tom Burkland means, it's wrong...it had to be 400 mph...but I'm sure a lot of racer are happy to get the two cap.....

Also I'm a writer and photographer for the Fast Facts Magazine - the quarterly magazin of the Speed Record Club in England....Malcolm UK is one of the founder of this club.

Thanks to Jon that he keep the landracing.com and the forum alive.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 01:42:24 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2008, 01:58:37 PM »
Hello, my name is Brian Dean. I have been addicted to this forum for a year.I have all ways been a gear-head. I built my first street rod at 18 which I still own. A 1934 ford coupe. I became involved in nostalgia drag racing with good friends Cole Cutler and Greg Everitt. We all owned chopped and fenderless 34 ford coupes which we raced at NDRA/WCTA events promoted by Tom Pruffer in the 80's. We would drive them from Sacramento to Freemont to race the super street class. I would run 9.70's. Cole would run 9.30's than we would drive them home. That's when guys like Jerry Morland, Fat Jack and Mindy Frey showed up with all out race cars in enclosed trailers to claim "Worlds Fastest Street Rods". So we kinda got away from all the street rod racing hoopla.
My first trip to B'ville was in 1980 with Greg as spectators. We again went back in 82' but found out when we got there that speedweek  was cancelled do to weather.Nice drive, I guess we should have checked the weather.
Fast forward to the 90's. Cole built a nice stude to race at B'ville. Do to family and career commitments, I never made the trip with him or was involved in any type of racing for a number of years. In 2000 Cole sold the stude to Greg. I finally made it back to B'ville in 2005 as part of Greg's crew and had a blast. In 06' Cole let me make some licensing passes in his Ford Lightning P/U. I ran 183 on a 175 license run (oops) but really got bit by the salt bug. I had to build something. So last year we built the Fairlane in less than 5 months and made it to speed week which both my wife,Celia,( Cheeto Racer) and I drive. (Note to future land speed racers: if you want to get your wife on board with a project, tell her she can drive it.)
I was introduced to this forum by Cole (which he lurks here and reads daily but doesn't participate but wish he would, he is a wealth of knowledge especially with all things Ford)and been hooked since. I first posted in October and have felt welcome from the beginning.
Thanks Jon for making it all happen.
Brian
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 02:12:28 PM by thundersalt »
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »
Glen Barrett, old guy.  started going to Bonneville in 1953 as well as the lakes. Drove a couple of roadsters when I was a member of the Albata club at he lakes. 1957 I was asked to drive Bob Fugatt's rear engine roadster. Went thru the middle mile at 194 mph and near the end of the last mile broke the crank around 215 mph. Spun the car but was OK.

!983 started helping Gary Cagle with the timing at the lakes and Bonneville. Took over as Chief timer in 1994 when Cagle passed away. Stayed on until 2004 when I moved to Utah. Will be announcing and course control this year. Have been a member of the Gear Grinders since 1983. LSR is the greatest motor sport in the world. Working with Jon on this site is an honor. :-)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 02:10:52 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline john robson

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2008, 02:47:38 PM »
Hello to all

I am John Robson and I am new to posting , not having done it on any board. We will see how it goes.

I am a 64 year old lawyer practicing in Tacoma,Wa. I began building small engines ( glow, kart and lawn mower) when I was still in grade school. My father took a home made scooter away from me when he caught me riding on city streets when I was in the 9th grade. I began drag racing in high school  and continued after college as a driver and engine builder on NHRA stock superstock and modified production cars untill the sport was taken over by bracket racing (which I still just don't get.

In high school a family trip took me past Bonneville on the highway and I could not get my father to turn off the road. I recall watching it dissapear in the mirror in wonder. My first trip to Bonneville was in 1987 with a motorcycle.  We broke at once and went home. I had missed the prior year as unprepared and perhaps the meet rained out, I dont recall. In 1988 or 1989 We got a record on the same bike and the following year broke again.

Three years ago my wife took a trip to Italy without me and on a whim I atternded th World finals as a spectatot. The fire was lit and when I returned home I talked to a friend and we have a car that we took to the track in 2007. We are still dealing with construction and tune up issues, But I think I have it.  Our 1977 PSI blown Camaro is a new experiance for me as I have never run a blown engine and have no prior experiance with mechanical injection. I Got lots of advice help and parts from fellow racers last October and found the racing fraternity at Bonneville to be the most helpful and willing group I have ever raced with. Also the Clubs the volunteer to put on the meet are awsome. This is a long term project for me and my partners and I am exited to meet more racors and enthusiast.  I know this forum will be very helpful to all who participate.

Time to push the button and see what happens

John

Offline Howard

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2008, 03:28:42 PM »
 :-) Hello and thanks Jon.
My name is Howard Nafzger and I first came to the salt during "the great flood" of 1982-1984.  I was born and raised in a small farm community in Ohio and have lived in S. Arizona for the last 30 years. I drag raced, oval track, and motorcycles in the desert before discovering Bonneville.
I designed and built two liners and ran the first one from 1988 thru 1991and got into the 200 club with it then i sold it to Scott Guthrie. I believe Kent Ritchies (sp) has the car now.
My second liner was built from 1996 thru 1999 and it ran from 1999 thru 2001 when I had to have my spine fused. I got it over 300 with a well used NA 360 sprint car motor.
That car was sold to Earl Wooden who set some great records with it and he then sold it to Charles Nearburg who got some more records this last year.
I am 75 years old now and am only thinking about how I would do the next liner if I could turn the clock back.
Hope to get back on the salt to visit someday.
Howard