Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267293 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3795 on: March 04, 2020, 11:11:24 AM »
Nancy and I were at the Shootout a few years ago when the team from Quebec got their sled over 200.  They had wheels fitted to the front skis, but the special track they had  created for the salt didn't work all that well -- so they used a standard "snow" track for the highest speed runs.

They drank lots of wine in celebration afterwards.  I remember that as well.  And they didn't have good English but still had fun.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Gearfinger

• New folks
« Reply #3796 on: March 04, 2020, 11:43:09 AM »
It's true, I live below the bridge... some ways below, just off Saginaw Bay.

And it's still a crawling across the face of the earth challenge. Many design and engineering challenges will be the same.

The "In the Spirit of 1968" aspect puts up a huge friction wall. While the goal posts have been moving in respect to how the actual sled that (supposedly) did this was constructed, the Legend suggested  a stock-ish sorta production sled. It's now said to have a much more powerful engine and who knows what else...

Anyway the loose rules are: Any production steel sled chassis. Air cooled two stroke NA production snowmobile engine 800cc limit. No billet engine parts, no squirt allowed. Modern production clutching and belt with recognized (ISR) level of guards. Modern production track and drivers. Full bogie suspension by trucks or trailing arm. No rail and bogie allowed. The rear axle will be carried by original type scissor arm hanger. No billet rolling stock, no super bearings. Any changes for safety and stability only allowed. No ski skins or plastic skis. No exotic metals or composite materials.

I think you can see how difficult this will be...

If I'm going to find that Ab Jenkins mojo that will be needed for this, you all looked like a good start.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:13:56 PM by Gearfinger »

Offline Gearfinger

• New folks
« Reply #3797 on: March 05, 2020, 12:00:10 PM »
First best takeaway... didn't know about Physics for Gearheads. That's just wonderful, and on the way. Thank you all, this is being a lot of fun and a tremendous amount of help.

Offline larryj

• New folks
« Reply #3798 on: March 26, 2020, 12:56:51 PM »
New Guy here. Taking advantage of the virus "lockdown" and doing a little reminiscing. I lost contact with Harry Hoffman Sr. a few years ago; tried emailing him yesterday but the email bounced. I'd really like to get in touch with Harry Sr., Charlie, Harry Jr., etc.
I was surprised, humbled, proud, and brought on a ton of emotions when I saw a picture of the rear deck on the Markley Hoffman 360 roadster: my name was on it !!!!!!
I was 19 or 20 years old (I think) and working for Harry. They started building that car and I worked some evenings and weekends. I built the headers and I think those may be the first set of headers I ever made. I never made it to Bonneville; I was newly married and as the team was leaving Charlie handed me a $100 bill and told me to take my new wife to a nice dinner. I did. I would rather have gone with them but that isn't how it worked out. All of those guys were and are just great people besides being fast.

A few years back (6 or 7 or more?) I flew down to the Salt Flats with my son to meet up with Harry and the gang. It was great. Harry hadn't changed at all; still the quiet guy he was. Turned out to be the last time he ran his red rear-engine roadster.

I know Bones has passed and I'd love any help in connecting with the folks that are still here. If there's an event this year (or next) and any of them will be there I'd plan on going too - just to connect.
Thanks a ton,
Larry
(best way to contact me would be direct email if you can, thanks)

Offline Red_Jensen

• New folks
« Reply #3799 on: April 05, 2020, 04:25:45 PM »
Hey All,

First post here. I live near El Mirage and have been several times.I love the nostalgia of the belly tank cars, so I'd love to build one. I have acquired a drop tank, but I'm realistically a year out from starting, I have another project (airplane) to finish up first. For now I'm just asking questions, planning and gathering parts. I have a rule book and have been reading, so I know what I'm getting myself into.

My tank is pretty beat up. I'm considering turning it into a plug and pulling a mold from it. I have lots of composite experience, so this doesn't scare me at all. Is there any market for this? For me I'm more comfortable working with carbon than sheet metal, especially for more organic shapes.

I'm not record hunting, I just want to have fun and get the most out of my setup. I *think* I want a weird powerplant of some sort. Straight 4, 6 or 8, VW, midget engine etc., is there a specific forum for these types of cars? I'd be looking for any and all info including front and rear suspension, transaxle types & things like that.

Cheers
Red

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3800 on: April 05, 2020, 05:09:48 PM »
Wayno (what's his handle here, someone?) had fiberglass tanks (made from one of the most successful) for sale a few years ago.  They were very reasonable and would save a lot of time and energy.

Anyone help me with this?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #3801 on: April 05, 2020, 08:09:40 PM »
     Click on this link:   http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=505  Click on "send a message" under "Actions" on the left to contact him via a personal message.

Ed
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 08:11:25 PM by RidgeRunner »

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #3802 on: April 05, 2020, 09:42:56 PM »
Wayno (what's his handle here, someone?) had fiberglass tanks (made from one of the most successful) for sale a few years ago.  They were very reasonable and would save a lot of time and energy.

Anyone help me with this?

Elmo Rodge 9-)

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3803 on: April 06, 2020, 11:30:10 PM »
Red, everyone wants a record... :? go to build diaries.... bike motors are successful in small motor classes.  I'm building/rebuilding one on there, there are a couple of G (2L) builds on there as well.  You could join the 2L race to a red hat.... Rex is building a 1 liter fuel lakester... there are lots to look at.   There are a lot of builds going on, so you might narrow with a search for lakester. 
  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Red_Jensen

• New folks
« Reply #3804 on: April 07, 2020, 09:59:59 PM »
Very helpful, thank you! I'm currently entertaining a rotary, but who knows. I just want something interesting. I'd be most interested in getting the most out of my combo, whatever that is, Off to search, I appreciate the tips.

Red

LANDSPEEDRX8

« Reply #3805 on: April 07, 2020, 11:41:33 PM »
Richie here.
First post but I’ve been on and off reading through a lot of the content and knowledge on the forum.  Quite an amazing community.
Building a Mazda RX-8 2-rotor Turbo/Nitrous rig for phase1 200mph then will go to a 3-rotor powerplant for phase2 to take a crack at the D/BGMS record (242mph) held by the late Jim Mederer/Racing Beat.  I think we’ll end up in D/BFMS though since methanol will definitely play a big role in achieving our power goals while at the same time keeping everything from, well...exploding.
Looking forward to meeting other members hopefully soon!
God Bless America.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 11:44:58 PM by LANDSPEEDRX8 »

888elco

« Reply #3806 on: April 09, 2020, 09:53:18 PM »
Hi Guys. New here and thought I would say hi. I have a lot to learn, and I am glad I'm here. Yes I have a rule book.

Offline Red_Jensen

• New folks
« Reply #3807 on: April 11, 2020, 06:21:28 PM »
OK, couple more questions if I may. As I said I'm a long way from cutting metal, just in the thinking things through at the moment. I *think* I have decided on on a turbo Mazda 13b (1.3L) for my lakester. I *think* that puts me in H/BGL, does that sound correct? Turbo is considered blown correct?

My tank is quite rough, so I for sure plan to make it into a plug and pull a mold from it, and build composite shells. My wheelbase is 95.5", so that's good up to F I think. My track is 50". I'm starting with the external shape because that's fixed, and I'll design the internals from there. Any gotchas so far?

Red
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 06:28:47 PM by Red_Jensen »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3808 on: April 11, 2020, 06:48:18 PM »
2019 Rule Book ?  Rule 2A, Page 18

Interpretation by someone who's no authority . . .

Equivalent Displacement for non-recirculating engines (ED) is calculated by Swept Volume x 2.

If 1.3 liters is the Swept Volume  x  2  = 2.6 liters ? or Engine Class F.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Red_Jensen

• New folks
« Reply #3809 on: April 11, 2020, 06:58:24 PM »
2019 Rule Book ?  Rule 2A, Page 18

Interpretation by someone who's no authority . . .

Equivalent Displacement for non-recirculating engines (ED) is calculated by Swept Volume x 2.

If 1.3 liters is the Swept Volume  x  2  = 2.6 liters ? or Engine Class F.

Hmmmn......this is why I ask. Good info...off to read some more.

Red