Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267318 times)

Offline bearingburner

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3690 on: December 05, 2018, 04:42:25 PM »
Wicked6 Good luck. We had similar expectations but it took 17 years form start to making a run with our lakester

Offline gowing

« Reply #3691 on: December 05, 2018, 05:43:55 PM »
I signed up on the forum 3 days ago and just now noticed this thread.  :roll:
So.......
I'm Mark, 55 years old, and I live in Colorado (a 7 hour motorcycle ride away from Wendover).
I've been wrenching and riding my whole life. HD, British, Jap,  and even German,  it don't matter - I like them all.

My racing experience is pretty minimal,
 a few MX events when I was a kid and a couple of years and dirt tracking stock cars.
The one thing I can say that I have learned from those experiences is....... Racing costs money!

Bonneville has always interested me so I've been going to BMST as a spectator for the last 3 years.
I think that the time has come to give into my salt addiction and build a bike to run.
I've got a pretty nice shop, a decent array of tools and a few different motorcycles to choose from.

Originally I was going to build up a BSA 441 Victor, but in the end, I figured that it would just be "turd polishing".

There is no way I could keep up with Koncretekid's super cool bike, and really..... why would I want to use a simple air cooled single,
when I could complicate things by using a watercooled, 4 cylinder horizontally opposed, shaft drive bike as a starting point?

The plan is to put together one of my 1976 Honda Gl1000 Goldwings to run in the mps-cg 1000 class.

In the past I have spoken with Kenny Lyons and the NGW guys about their racing bikes, and I am interested to know if any others have
attempted to use Goldwings for LSR.

I am interested in learning from all of your racing experiences, and gleaning as many hints, tips, and go fast tricks as I can.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 05:47:35 PM by gowing »

Offline hoggster

• New folks
« Reply #3692 on: December 05, 2018, 08:37:15 PM »
Very cool, Mark. I rebuilt a '78(?) Goldwing once as a cafe type thing (it was a phase... :|). Man, those carbs... holy moley. Very cool choice of bike for that class. Hope to see you out there someday!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3693 on: December 05, 2018, 08:38:08 PM »
I know that you're new – but search the motorcycle records carefully.  I believe there're about 200 still-open records available.  Do you have a green seat?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline gowing

« Reply #3694 on: December 05, 2018, 10:26:22 PM »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3695 on: December 06, 2018, 01:45:21 AM »
Can you find racing connecting rods, forged pistons, performance cams, and big carbs for a 'wing?  Racing in the 1000cc classes is very competitive and it takes serious effort, money, and commitment to chase and get records. 

Offline gowing

« Reply #3696 on: December 06, 2018, 08:17:47 PM »
Can you find racing connecting rods, forged pistons, performance cams, and big carbs for a 'wing? 
Yes.

Offline ProjectROTM

« Reply #3697 on: December 30, 2018, 06:28:57 AM »
Hi everyone,

ProjectROTM (Return of the MAC) here, I am 30 years old and from the UK.

I have been a long time lurker on the forum, but this is the first time I have contributed, so wanted to introduce myself and my project. I have spent a lot of time in the build diaries section and have really enjoyed a lot of the threads such as the Milwaukee Midget and a loads of the small capacity bike builds.

I have a 1953 Velocette MAC which I plan to build for sprint and top speed events in the UK. It is a dream of mine to get over to Bonneville, but I think that is likely to be without the bike.

I have started a YouTube channel documenting my progress through the project and the first video is at the link below. I will start a build thread for the project as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF-VxQccAak&t=2s

ProjectROTM.

Offline 1045

• New folks
« Reply #3698 on: January 01, 2019, 03:36:08 PM »
Hello, my name is Mike. 2018 was my first year running at Bonneville with USFRA and I had a great time even though my car is by no means competative in it's class but my goals do not include chasing a record at this time.
     I've been coming to Speed Week as a spectator  since I retired in 1998 and started building my car right after that first visit, it just looked like a lot of fun. :-D I learned a lot my first year running a competition car and am looking forward to next year.
Plan ahead, that way you don't have to do anything right now.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3699 on: January 01, 2019, 05:34:58 PM »
Me too, Mike. Good luck in 2019.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline hoss

• New folks
« Reply #3700 on: January 01, 2019, 07:28:40 PM »
Welcome Mike, glad your here, don't have to set a world record to have fun, and learn.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3701 on: January 01, 2019, 10:58:35 PM »
Welcome. All the best. :cheers:

Mike.

Offline alwaysFlOoReD

• New folks
« Reply #3702 on: January 26, 2019, 12:54:41 AM »
Hi,
I currently race in a grassroots short-course off-road truck series using a1991 4.0l/m5od Ford Ranger. I recently picked up a 2.3l that was apparently used on the salt flats in a 90's Ford Ranger and want to see if I can confirm any history. I will start a thread with pics tomorrow.
Thanks,
Richard

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #3703 on: April 09, 2019, 09:27:53 PM »
Hi everyone...Terry Peterson is my name but I commonly use the handle "Simspeed" for forums.  Drag racer and chassis builder from many years ago and still a racer at heart.  I'm new to the technical side of LSR machines and have a lot of questions about all the rules and aspects of unlimited wheel driven streamliners.  I love to design using 3D software and I've been concentrating recently on a streamliner for the unlimited category.  I hope to meet the acquaintance of all the LSR buffs here in the Landracing forum.  God bless everyone....

Offline Lydia

• New folks
« Reply #3704 on: April 15, 2019, 07:14:04 AM »
Hello,

The BBC are making another series of the fantastic show 'Amazing Machines'. As part of this we are looking to showcase some of the amazing vehicles that race on the Bonneville Salt Flats. We would love to film these incredible vehicles in action! This is a brilliant opportunity to have your vehicle shown on TV on the BBC and demonstrate how it works. If you would like more information on this unique opportunity then please email lydia.papworth@bbc.co.uk If you can include pictures and information on your vehicles, we'd love to have a look at them. We are particularly keen to hear from people who race at World of Speed or who will be going to the Test and Tune and who race in the Junior Racers 130 category, perhaps with access to club cars.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Amazing Machines Team.