Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267294 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3480 on: August 30, 2016, 07:54:15 PM »
Yeah, Eric -- let us know if you're one of the Chosen or a troll. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Eric Knight

• New folks
« Reply #3481 on: August 30, 2016, 09:18:48 PM »
Thanks For the warm welcome!!

I reside in Chesterfield Twp, Mi. Between Port Huron and Detroit.

I have crewed on a mini stock team, raced Jeeps and Karts in the 80's and 90's. Fell out of it to start a family.
I just keep lurking and thinking that some day I will get back to racing. Hopefully in a year I might be able to get something together.

Offline soonerbillz

• New folks
    • Soonerbillz.com
« Reply #3482 on: September 01, 2016, 10:05:35 AM »
Welcome to the LSR forum, Eric & Scott. The hardest part of a build is just getting started.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Thanks for the nod...
 yep.. it's always the hard part.. and I see that just figuring out what class to participate in is overwhelming...
Being a bike guy that shortens the list... until I start thinking how much fun a four wheel cart would be to build... this is going to be something kinda difficult to noodle out...
 I'm thinking a time frame of maybe 2-3 years to get up to speed, prep for a well equipped attempt and have a proper bike built and ready...5 plus for a car..
 so it's not something I'm dreaming of doing over the winter for next year...ya!

Offline Zachheldt

• New folks
« Reply #3483 on: September 02, 2016, 03:12:37 PM »
Hey everyone. My name is Zach Heldt. I have long dreamt of being in the 200mph club. Finally setting goals of getting my 280z running and road worthy. I am going to start bracing the chassis and getting an lq4 popped in there. Going to run her as a modified sports. I have spent most of my career in the auto industry and getting contacts to help with any fab work that I am unable to do. Trying to learn as much as possible on this forum. Been lurking for a while and finally registered. I am in southern california, anaheim to be exact. Would love to meet up with some locals and talk about this sport and what to look out for. Please email me at zacheryheldt@gmail.com if you would be willing to give me some of your time. Thanks in advance.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3484 on: September 02, 2016, 08:37:15 PM »
Nice to meet another Modified Sports guy. Welcome to the forum. No need to use e-mail- this forum reaches lots of folks who can help.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ  B/GMS

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3485 on: September 03, 2016, 12:20:16 AM »
Welcome Zach.
Regards, Mike.

Offline dw230

« Reply #3486 on: September 03, 2016, 12:49:02 PM »
Zack,

You might consider attending the El Mirage meet next weekend, 9/10 & 11. You can talk with mod sports guys and tech people with the end game being to stay on track and not get lost in the confusion that is the rule book.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #3487 on: September 03, 2016, 01:08:03 PM »
  Zack, X2 what Dan said.  I encourage anyone considering building a class specific car to contact others running similar vehicles and if at all possible visit them and look at how they built their race vehicle.  You may find things that You think is wrong with theirs and most all will be willing to explain to You why they went the way that they did.
  Rule books are all encompassing and cannot answer every question.
  That is why You need to first buy a 2016 Rule Book.  In it You will find the contact information for the technical contact persons for each category on pages 194-196 and  THESE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO WILL TELL YOU EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW.  Everything anyone else tells You is pure speculation, misconceptions or (in my case) sometimes ignorance.                                                   
                                                                                         Good Luck, "One Run Bob" Drury
Bob Drury

Offline oj

« Reply #3488 on: September 05, 2016, 01:41:35 PM »
I'm Oj, living in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.  I've been in automotive fabrication and been doing it on a professional level for over 20years.  My experience is from drag racing, I ran B/A and Top Sportsman and have a new car siting in the shop not quite ready to go.  I got re-introduced to traditional hot rodding about 10 years ago and that rekindled my interest in LSR.  I've never been to Bonneville but have many friends that go and it's time I started to build a car.  I think I'll go with friends and give them a hand next year to get a feel for how it all works and the following year have at it.  There's something about a tank that suits me and I have a mercruiser 4cyl Ford that I can build for it.  So, thats it. 
Actually, I reallyreally want to hear one of them multiple engine streamliners at WOT for miles!  You cannnot pretend to know what that sounds like.  That, itself, might do it for me.  But, I doubt it.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #3489 on: September 05, 2016, 02:21:58 PM »

Actually, I reallyreally want to hear one of them multiple engine streamliners at WOT for miles!  You cannnot pretend to know what that sounds like.  That, itself, might do it for me.  But, I doubt it.

Oj, this will get you in the mood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqO6msKE4G4

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3490 on: September 05, 2016, 05:37:11 PM »
I'm Oj, living in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.  I've been in automotive fabrication and been doing it on a professional level for over 20years.  My experience is from drag racing, I ran B/A and Top Sportsman and have a new car siting in the shop not quite ready to go.  I got re-introduced to traditional hot rodding about 10 years ago and that rekindled my interest in LSR.  I've never been to Bonneville but have many friends that go and it's time I started to build a car.  I think I'll go with friends and give them a hand next year to get a feel for how it all works and the following year have at it.  There's something about a tank that suits me and I have a mercruiser 4cyl Ford that I can build for it.  So, thats it. 

OJ;

Does the Eastside drag strip in Waynesboro still exist? I used to run my '65 GTO there in BB/stock back in the '60s.

Offline oj

« Reply #3491 on: September 05, 2016, 05:53:49 PM »

Oj, this will get you in the mood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqO6msKE4G4

That would bring me to my knees, I swear to Christ.  Thank you for that.

Tom G.

Offline oj

« Reply #3492 on: September 05, 2016, 06:05:47 PM »

OJ;

Does the Eastside drag strip in Waynesboro still exist? I used to run my '65 GTO there in BB/stock back in the '60s.

Yes, it is still there and run by the Gores - it kinda changed hands and I believe Gary is back to running it.  Their sister track - Manassas has gone to the developers, it was the oldest track on the east coast and now Eastside has to be one of the oldest.  Gary has a strong tie to the history and he promotes nostalgia events at some of the local tracks.  Later this month they have a huge nostalgia event and Bobby Hilton will have his Top Fuel FED there, Bunny Burkett will likely putt down the track, all the surviving S&S boys will be there and they'll be some serious racing with the gassers etc.  Al Gore is still alive, in his 90's and goes to all those events.
BB/S would have been tubbed? a Super Stocker?  That would've been a badassed piece. 

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3493 on: September 05, 2016, 06:34:04 PM »
OJ;

Back when I raced there it was a quarter-mile strip. Hardly anybody knows that NASCAR was the sanctioning organization for drag racing on the East coast back in the mid-60s.

BB/stock was the class that my GTO fell into. It was a stock class based on power to weight ratio. The class break was 9.5 lbs/hp and the GTO was 9.51 lbs/hp. The "HP" was the factory advertised figure. My 3x2 bbl 389 had been blueprinted at Royal Pontiac in Royal Oak, Mich, a "Royal Bobcat". Jardine headers, M & H Racemasters... those were the days!  :-)

Regards, Neil  Tucson

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3494 on: September 06, 2016, 12:41:51 AM »
Thanks For the warm welcome!!

I reside in Chesterfield Twp, Mi. Between Port Huron and Detroit.

I have crewed on a mini stock team, raced Jeeps and Karts in the 80's and 90's. Fell out of it to start a family.
I just keep lurking and thinking that some day I will get back to racing. Hopefully in a year I might be able to get something together.
Welcome Eric.
Have fun and hope you do get something together.
Regards, Mike. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: