Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2265020 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3375 on: August 11, 2015, 12:40:16 AM »
Have a good time, Justin.  There are a lot of old and new Triumphs racing and one more is nice to see.

Offline mtlassen1992

• New folks
« Reply #3376 on: September 16, 2015, 03:11:15 AM »
Hello from sunny Southern California,
My name is Andy, and I grew up in Sacramento California. I saw many comments on here regarding my uncle Bert Peterson. As a 12 year old kid back in the early 70's, I remember going to Uncle Berts and Noel Blacks shop off Freeport Blvd in Sacramento.  That was where I got to sit in the cockpit of the Motion 1. I am amazed at the technology to this day that my Uncle put into that car back in the 60's. I still remember the day Noel Black was killed at Bonneville.  He was a very nice man.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3377 on: September 24, 2015, 07:34:11 PM »
As long as we're welcoming new folks to the Forum, everyone wake up and say hi to Harry Hoffman, Jr.  He used to be on the Joe Law/Grumpy Old Men lakester team.  If you want to pick up where he's at right now -- try following him:

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3318.msg261062/topicseen.html#new

And if you do get his attention - how 'bout having him make one of these Introduce Yourself posts?  Ask - maybe he will.  Welcome, Harry.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Hoffman Jr

• New folks
    • www.hoffmanmetal.com
« Reply #3378 on: September 28, 2015, 09:21:51 PM »
As long as we're welcoming new folks to the Forum, everyone wake up and say hi to Harry Hoffman, Jr.  He used to be on the Joe Law/Grumpy Old Men lakester team.  If you want to pick up where he's at right now -- try following him:

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3318.msg261062/topicseen.html#new

And if you do get his attention - how 'bout having him make one of these Introduce Yourself posts?  Ask - maybe he will.  Welcome, Harry.

Hey Slim,

Not sure where you got me with Joe Law(not that that would be a bad thing)
I designed, built and drove the Hoffman-Markley Streamliner.
Just poking around the web and found the site. Have not been out to the salt in quite a while... I guess 20 years was enough for me
Harry Hoffman Jr

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3379 on: September 29, 2015, 10:48:58 AM »
Well, if that's the way you wanna be -- fine and dandy, Harry.  Right now I don't remember how I made the match-up, but I guess that's a good thing - it was incorrect. 

But since you've found landracing.com I invite you to hang around here and see what stuff we talk about and what the site does.

Welcome, I say again.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline chukazap

• New folks
« Reply #3380 on: October 06, 2015, 09:10:40 AM »
Hi-I'm Chuk Williams, from sunny South Florida. I've been actively involved with Bonneville since 2007, when I first showed up as a spectator. Pretty quickly I met the guys from Lander, Wyoming running a streamliner-hung out with them and helped out a bit. The "spirit" of Bonneville made a big impression on me then-and still does! Everyone was so welcoming and willing to help others- I felt like this was "my kinda place"!
In 2010 I began the build of my own streamliner-#933....the first steam-powered streamliner to grace the salt since 1985! In 2012, we made it to the World Finals for the first big tech inspection and a few shakedown runs. We didn't have a body at that time, but we got the chance to break a few things, fix a few things, and get a feel for the car. A body was built, and we planned to return for the 2013 World Finals-but of course they were cancelled. We got a chance to return for the World of Speed in September '14. Track conditions weren't the best, but the car was running great for the test runs in the pits, so we went out for our first run-a licensing run up to 150. The feeling during the run was that I was running on about an inch of slush. The car was controllable, and I felt ok, but the difference in handling(compared to WF's in 2012) was very different. At 145, I pulled the chute to end the run, but it didn't deploy...and taking my attention off driving/fumbling with the chute release, I lost control and wiped out.
The vehicle was trashed, I was slightly injured.....and now I'm planning the next 'liner-hoping the conditions at Bonneville will improve enough for us to continue the GREATEST kick-in-the-pants feeling I've ever been a part of!!

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #3381 on: October 06, 2015, 09:24:33 AM »
Hi Chuk- Welcome. I was at the 1985 meet watching the "Steamin Demon" run. Great fun. Though not at Wilmington couple weeks ago, there is a new steam powered liner in action, also doing shake downs. I wish you luck with your new car, also a "steamer" ?? And we all are with you about the last part of your post. :)
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Travislee

• New folks
« Reply #3382 on: October 20, 2015, 10:05:11 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Travis Lee and I live in southern California. I am currently starting to build a motorcycle to compete in the 250cc class. Its starting off as a 2002 Honda CR 250 2stroke. My grandfather, Robert Lee, of Stringfellow/Miller/Lee got me into everything automotive as a young kid but passed away long before I was able to drive.

I hope to meet great people here and learn as much as I can since this will be my first time racing on the salt flats.

Travis

Offline tallguy

« Reply #3383 on: October 20, 2015, 11:37:35 PM »
Welcome, Travis.

Since you live in SoCal, you might want to also consider running at El Mirage and the Mojave Mile.

Bonneville is about a 15-hour drive from where you are, and (in the last couple years) is subject
to being rained out.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3384 on: October 21, 2015, 12:59:20 AM »
Welcome to bike racing.  That 250 is a good way to start.  The Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials is a good event for bikes, as well as the Mohave Mile and El Mirage... and drag racing.  That is a good thing about little bikes.  It does not take much real estate to get up to top speed.

Offline fowler2545

• New folks
« Reply #3385 on: October 25, 2015, 12:47:06 PM »
My name is Steve, I am semi-retired and live in Connecticut. Mostly interested in motorcycles; currently have 2009 Harley XR1200, 2014 Sportster Iron 833 and Yamaha 125 dirt bike. I was "inspired" watching World's Fastest Indian" (and found an old Cycle World with a period picture of the bike). I ordered rule book and printouts of AMA records and Bonneville 2014 National records for bikes. So now I am ready to start learning. Previously went to motorcycle road races. I will do all the reading of posts I can. Thanks for this forum would be happy to hear from anybody remotely local 
Steve

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3386 on: October 25, 2015, 03:28:10 PM »
Howdy, Steve -- and welcome to the Forum.  Thanks very much for telling us your location -- it makes it easy to figure out who's remotely local -- and you and I ain't that.

But that's okay -- you can still enjoy the Forum for what it offers, and I hope you'll do just that.

Best for now --
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #3387 on: October 25, 2015, 08:58:54 PM »
Steve its only a few hours drive from CT to Loring.

Offline cabanadan

• New folks
« Reply #3388 on: October 31, 2015, 04:16:55 PM »
Names CabanaDan, Live South of Milwaukee.  Thinking on building a bike and checking out rules...  Need to find out if a tanker bike (Fueltank in frames) are legal...   Dan

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3389 on: November 01, 2015, 10:58:44 AM »
Welcome Dan, that would be a good question for your second post (in the rules section) while you wait on your rule book
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O