Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267676 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3180 on: September 25, 2014, 10:20:59 AM »
Thanks for signing up, Derek, and welcome to this Forum.  It's the easiest and best way to stay up to date inland speed racing.

As for you offering to crew and the team owner hasn't yet elected to pay your room, board, travel, and incidental expenses -- don't worry.  Sooner or later he will.  After all, everyone that builds a race vehicle and a race crew has loads of money and is happy to offer some of it to those that are willing to take said money in exchange for a few minutes of work and fellowship now and then.

Yeah, right. :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Juggler

• New folks
« Reply #3181 on: September 25, 2014, 11:17:45 AM »

Thanks for the welcome Slim. Will keep working on him

[/quote]
Ahhh love to sometime but can't afford to go this year.  There was a tv documentary about speed week and some of the Brits that compete earlier this year...amazing place, amazing engineering and amazing people.  What a great event - we have nothing like this in the UK. 

[/quote]

We have Pendine Martin - we ran in September last year and July this year. Not quite the same I grant you, but better than nowt!

http://youtu.be/NCjSV3PYUeM

Cheers

Juggs
I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake - which I also keep handy (W C Fields)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3182 on: September 25, 2014, 11:06:13 PM »
Juggs, there's 7 billion people on the planet...
There are about 500 vehicles raced at SpeedWeek...
Do the math  :-o

If you are allowed to pay your own way and help try to set a landspeed record you should count yourself as one of the lucky few!  :-D
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Juggler

• New folks
« Reply #3183 on: September 26, 2014, 04:12:58 AM »

If you are allowed to pay your own way and help try to set a landspeed record you should count yourself as one of the lucky few!  :-D

Ha! No I get it really. Would be proud and honored to be involved in the smallest way. Sometimes English humour/irony doesn't translate too well.

So with that said, if the bugger doesn't promise the air fare, I'll start walking now :-D

All the best

Juggs
I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake - which I also keep handy (W C Fields)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #3184 on: September 26, 2014, 07:09:01 AM »

I'll start walking now :-D

All the best

Juggs

Walking...Jesus...you can walk on water.....I always have to row :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3185 on: September 26, 2014, 10:28:43 AM »

We have Pendine Martin - we ran in September last year and July this year. Not quite the same I grant you, but better than nowt!

http://youtu.be/NCjSV3PYUeM

Cheers

Juggs

Pendine Sands is nothing to sneeze at!  Before they made the trip to Utah, Campbell and Eyston ran there.  MG used it as a test track during the 1930s, setting numerous records, and that has really piqued my interest.

I contacted the VHRA last year.  It was my hope they could let me run my MG there.  It's a closed club event - I understand, it takes a lot to put together an event anywhere, and they need to take care of their members - but it's my hope to some day bring the Midget over and run Pendine Sands.

That said, if I could find a member of the VHRA who was interested in driving an MG with a Bonneville record at Pendine Sands, I'd certainly entertain a discussion . . .  :roll:

Thanks for the video, and welcome aboard!

Chris Conrad
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Juggler

• New folks
« Reply #3186 on: September 26, 2014, 03:53:52 PM »

Thanks again for the welcome Chris

As you say, Pendine has its place in LSR history. Was the fastest place on earth till 1927 when racing was suspended, seemingly indefinitely, following the death of Parry Thomas while he was trying to get the record back from Campbell.

Pendine by juggler29, on Flickr

Racing is now organized by the VHRA and eligibility is dependent on VHRA membership criterion - more here

http://www.vhra.co.uk/VHRA/Home.html.

Briefly it's limited to pre 49 vehicles of American manufacture. The first one day event attracted 100 entries, the second this July was over 2 days with 150 entered. Places go quick. It's a tribute to Neil Fretwell and the East Coast Sidewinders club that they manage to get the course set up and everybody down the beach for 3 runs between the tides. The whole track is still underwater about 90 minutes before the first car is flagged away.

Pendine6 by juggler29, on Flickr

Pendine7 by juggler29, on Flickr

Pendine3 by juggler29, on Flickr

Pendine4 by juggler29, on Flickr

Pendine5 by juggler29, on Flickr

No dates yet set for 2015. As soon as I know I'll post them up.

If anyone makes the trip come and say hello. My race number is 148

Cheers

Juggs

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3187 on: September 26, 2014, 10:01:31 PM »

Ha! No I get it really. Would be proud and honored to be involved in the smallest way. Sometimes English humour/irony doesn't translate too well.

So with that said, if the bugger doesn't promise the air fare, I'll start walking now :-D

All the best

Juggs

same goes for my humor... sometimes  :roll:  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline MJW

• New folks
« Reply #3188 on: September 30, 2014, 06:09:27 PM »
Hey everyone

New Guy from New Jersey in the ECTA.

Joined the ECTA early this year and went to Wilmington in May as a spectator and decided to get on the runway.

So in June I bought a Fiat 500 Turbo 5spd (aka the Angry Italian) as my daily driver as I am too old and fat to daily drive an Abarth in New Jersey and New York City with the terrible roads.

Found out the the H/PS class in the ECTA had no record so my buddy and I decided to see how fast it could go with no mods other than that I had replaced the expensive alloys with steel rims for pot hole duty.

We piled all our stuff in the back and drove the 9hrs to Wilmington and ran this past weekend and set the record at 120 and then broke it at 122 which ended up being the fastest run of the weekend for us.

We had a blast and my buddy and I will be back in May to see if we can tweak it to 125.

I'm not napping I'm testing the couch.

2013 Fiat 500 Turbo (Abarth Lite)

Offline Fizal

• New folks
« Reply #3189 on: October 01, 2014, 10:40:19 PM »
Hello my name is Terry. Have been talking about joining the 200 mph club for many years. Decided if I don't actually start working on it I never will join it. I have been out to the salt before. Not during speed week. Have also been driving on the highway during speed week watching the dust clouds pass me while I was doing 95 on the highway. As I moved away from Utah.
Topped out a stock Ford Ranger in the 130 range on the lake bed at Gerlach. Just let it roll on for miles until the heat became an issue.  Hit 140+ in a few other cars.
Looking to do 200 the legal way.
I am also interested in learning some more about the endurance records. I have always had a nack for driving too fast for long periods of time.
"No sir, I don't like it." - Mr. Horse

Offline Freud

« Reply #3190 on: October 02, 2014, 12:19:30 AM »
Where do you intend to run endurance "races?"

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Fizal

• New folks
« Reply #3191 on: October 02, 2014, 01:11:26 AM »
Where do you intend to run endurance "races?"

FREUD

Oh I am sure I am thinking of a by gone era. I remember in that movie about Ab Jenkins. Where he would run in a large circle for 24 hours. When I saw that, first thing in my head. "man that looks like fun". I spend my extra time driving for Lyft. Just so I can be behind the wheel without wasting money. Need to figure out how to bridge that gap between what I would like to do, and what I can afford to do.
My plan for next year is to just sign up as a volunteer for Bonneville and start figuring it out that way.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #3192 on: October 02, 2014, 09:20:31 AM »
While you're there you might want to check out The Silver State Classic. Looks like fun.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Fizal

• New folks
« Reply #3193 on: October 02, 2014, 01:54:40 PM »
While you're there you might want to check out The Silver State Classic. Looks like fun.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I have driven that road. Same trip that I left Utah. Set my speed at 95. At one point I got passed by a Porsche like I was standing still. As the sun was setting. Watched him vanish into the haze. Have always wanted to drive that road again. Not in a Ford ranger next time.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #3194 on: October 02, 2014, 10:38:40 PM »
  I met this guy in the Nugget parking lot at Speed Week this year.
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEDeorDvrsE
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]