Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267209 times)

Offline MRK

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2925 on: January 31, 2014, 05:02:27 PM »
Hi, my name is Mike and I'm addicted. I had my first taste of it in 2011 after my friend claimed it was the greatest thing on earth. It took me 12 hours to get that first taste but after that first hit, I was done for and I've been hooked ever since. Now my year is now filled with Bonneville salt and the dirt of El Mirage. I've known other addicts my whole life but never knew what they meant about the "high". Now I know and am always trying to recruit new junkies.
Grew up in SoCal ( Santa Monica ) and still live there ( Saugus ) with my wife and dogs. My daughter has given me a beautiful grandson who is already on the road to addiction. His favorite movie, I'm not joking is "On Any Sunday" . If it rolls, floats or fly's he's into it. Oh yeah, he's a helluva drummer too!
I've been a parts man for over 35 years dealing mostly with Italian, Swedish and German cars. Currently I'm a product develop manager for the company who has put up with me for the past 24 plus years.
I know a few guys who race ( Y-Block Guy, Dick Martin, Chris Rivas, Greg Waters ) as well as various others afflicted with the same disease I have ( Hey  T-Man! ). Recently I've decided that my addiction needs to be satisfied in another way so I've decided to become more involved with the SCTA in particular Dan Warners group. I'm not sure if it's for me or if I'll fit in but I've decided to give it a whirl and see what I can contribute. Anyway, that's a snippet of me and what I'm about.
One more thing. My post was not meant to make light of addiction in any form. I aplopgize if I it came off as insensitive to you or others you may know who battle real addiction.
I look forward to seeing you all on the Salt and or the dirt.
Cheers
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2926 on: January 31, 2014, 08:25:47 PM »
Howdy, Mike, and welcome.  First of all I'll thank you for your caveat about addiction.  While we do have our personal feelings about addictions - most of us describe our land speed racing feelings as an addiction.  Therefore -- don't sweat it very much.

Other than that I'm thinking you'll have a fine time here with us on the Forum.  I've got one question, though -- where'd you come up with the photo of Freud, with his pants on, that's in your avatar. :evil:  If you don't follow that query - hang around and you'll get filled in soon.  Let's just say that it's all part of the fun of LSR.

Jon a/k/a SSS
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2927 on: January 31, 2014, 09:00:14 PM »
Welcome Ben and Mike.

I said no to LSR but it wouldn't listen!. :-D

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2928 on: January 31, 2014, 09:07:01 PM »
Jon --

I think that photo was the original that poor ol' Freud has been simulating for years.  I understand the original piloto had to wear some protection to keep from fouling the rear spokes.  Not so, I guess, with Freud.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2929 on: January 31, 2014, 10:10:08 PM »
Hey Mike, they say admitting you have a problem is the first step...  :-o

Don't worry, you will enjoy going to meetings...  :cheers:

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2930 on: February 01, 2014, 08:54:35 AM »
Woo-hoo, Stan - I sailed another one right over your head. :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tman

« Reply #2931 on: February 01, 2014, 10:01:19 AM »
Hi, my name is Mike and I'm addicted. I had my first taste of it in 2011 after my friend claimed it was the greatest thing on earth. It took me 12 hours to get that first taste but after that first hit, I was done for and I've been hooked ever since. Now my year is now filled with Bonneville salt and the dirt of El Mirage. I've known other addicts my whole life but never knew what they meant about the "high". Now I know and am always trying to recruit new junkies.
Grew up in SoCal ( Santa Monica ) and still live there ( Saugus ) with my wife and dogs. My daughter has given me a beautiful grandson who is already on the road to addiction. His favorite movie, I'm not joking is "On Any Sunday" . If it rolls, floats or fly's he's into it. Oh yeah, he's a helluva drummer too!
I've been a parts man for over 35 years dealing mostly with Italian, Swedish and German cars. Currently I'm a product develop manager for the company who has put up with me for the past 24 plus years.
I know a few guys who race ( Y-Block Guy, Dick Martin, Chris Rivas, Greg Waters ) as well as various others afflicted with the same disease I have ( Hey  T-Man! ). Recently I've decided that my addiction needs to be satisfied in another way so I've decided to become more involved with the SCTA in particular Dan Warners group. I'm not sure if it's for me or if I'll fit in but I've decided to give it a whirl and see what I can contribute. Anyway, that's a snippet of me and what I'm about.
One more thing. My post was not meant to make light of addiction in any form. I aplopgize if I it came off as insensitive to you or others you may know who battle real addiction.
I look forward to seeing you all on the Salt and or the dirt.
Cheers

Well, if we lost you to the WGB guys I guess it is ok :-D Welcome And you thought we liked our beverages!?!?! :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2932 on: February 01, 2014, 10:19:36 AM »
Woo-hoo, Stan - I sailed another one right over your head. :evil:

Huummmmm.... I'm not sure you sailed at all... have Nancy explain Stan's post to you.  :evil:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #2933 on: February 01, 2014, 12:53:20 PM »
Isn't a liking for box wine a requirement for joining the WGB group?? :evil:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #2934 on: February 01, 2014, 12:58:05 PM »
Remember for any addict 1 is too many and 10,000 are not enough

Offline dw230

« Reply #2935 on: February 01, 2014, 01:45:08 PM »
"Isn't a liking for box wine a requirement for joining the WGB group"

No, no, no Fred. Box wine is NOT included(screw top maybe). You should have been there a couple of years ago while packing at the end of Speed Week and Pam Manghelli came out of the trailer with three boxes of Costco's best, "Who put this c**p in MY trailer?". Box wine no longer permitted. There are limits.

Welcome Mike,

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2936 on: February 01, 2014, 03:20:43 PM »
I guess I didn't read the rules.  Some of our friends don't like to have glass bottles at the lake.  Besides, when you're done at night, you can blow up the bladder -- it makes a great pillow.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline MRK

« Reply #2937 on: February 01, 2014, 06:15:55 PM »
Howdy, Mike, and welcome.  First of all I'll thank you for your caveat about addiction.  While we do have our personal feelings about addictions - most of us describe our land speed racing feelings as an addiction.  Therefore -- don't sweat it very much.

Other than that I'm thinking you'll have a fine time here with us on the Forum.  I've got one question, though -- where'd you come up with the photo of Freud, with his pants on, that's in your avatar. :evil:  If you don't follow that query - hang around and you'll get filled in soon.  Let's just say that it's all part of the fun of LSR.

Jon a/k/a SSS

Thanx for thew welcome SSS. I don't recall where that image came from. I probably typed "Rollie Free" into Yahoo and looked at the what was on the "images" tab. I'm usually not too worried about being PC but I didn't want to come off as an insensitive a-hole. Not yet anyway :wink:

Mike

Offline MRK

« Reply #2938 on: February 01, 2014, 06:18:28 PM »
Thanx T-man! I'm not lost to anyone. Sworn to fun, loyal to none!!  :cheers:

Offline Tman

« Reply #2939 on: February 02, 2014, 12:15:58 AM »
Thanx T-man! I'm not lost to anyone. Sworn to fun, loyal to none!!  :cheers:

Still looking for a Mr Stove to run my Wok while camping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!