Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267489 times)

Offline chopsmitty

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2910 on: January 15, 2014, 02:57:48 PM »
Rule book ordered through saltflats.com !   Thanks guys!!

Offline MartinD

• New folks
« Reply #2911 on: January 16, 2014, 04:49:20 AM »
205 days to go...

I’ve been lurking here for a while now, but it’s time to start getting myself organised. We’re a family of petrolheads (gearheads) from a little village almost slap bang in the middle of Scotland. It’s cold and wet outside as I write this and our summers are usually brief and never too hot. So, after listening to the live online commentary from Speedweek last year, and showing her some of the many photographs, I’ve convinced my wife that she will get a suntan out there on the salt. We’ve never been to the US before so there’s going to be a learning curve and that’s one of the reasons I’m here. We arrive at LAX about a week before the meet and plan to visit the ‘must do’ places before heading inland (probably via Vegas) to Wendover. We’re driving an RV and I’ve read that we can camp at the ‘bend in the road’, but I’ve got a list of questions that, if anyone could answer would make my life a little easier.

Bend in the road camping – does it have any facilities at all?

Wendover – I can only see the place on Google Earth – can I assume that I will find most things there that I might need to keep a family of 4 fed and comfortable?

Salt passes – like I said above, 4 of us will be coming on to the salt every day with the RV (or that’s the plan) what’s the most economical way to do that? I emailed the SCTA about passes – with no response... and I’ve read that it would be cheaper to join the BNI? But I can’t find the thread...

Any help would be greatly appreciated

We look forward to meeting you guys out there on the salt. We’ll be easy to spot. We’ll be the pale blue people!

Forum newbie :oops:

Martin

Like I said - newbie. I followed the link in the previous post and found out most of what I wanted to know - Doh! But still need to know about passes. Thanks
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 05:30:44 AM by MartinD »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2912 on: January 16, 2014, 08:09:43 AM »
So you're not a wee chughter then?. :-D

We have a few in our family. Also blue.

Welcome and enjoy the stay. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Mike.

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #2913 on: January 16, 2014, 11:46:32 AM »
Most spectators get their passes at the end of the road (which is were you drive off the pavement onto the salt) You can get one per person for the week or by the day (Not sure of the cost) or you can buy them buy the day per person. Or you can join BNI for $115.00 and get one pass and rule book free (so to speak :-D) web site http://www.scta-bni.org/index.html  go to Bonneville on the left, forms & doc's, and down to BNI membership to get form to join.
Richard 2
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #2914 on: January 16, 2014, 08:21:35 PM »
Kilts are allowed............but beware of the reflective sunburn :lol:
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2915 on: January 16, 2014, 09:22:37 PM »
Martin, I usually recommend joining the BNI, just so you get a rulebook to help ID what is what, a poster in the mail that won't get crumpled along the way, newsletters, member patch, a program and a pit pass... probably more....

The bend usually has porti-pottys, no water, sometimes all the noise you want... but there are also other sites up the hill and now at the museum lot, the RV should be fine, you can refill and dump in town, Wendover is a small town, but has the essentials, grocery and liquor store. 

There is a lot of history in the area

There are weekly passes available at the gate... thinking under 12 might be free... but if they are not, just hike them in the bathroom when you go thru the gate  :evil:  :-D  :-o

Welcome, you will have fun, ask Phil, he and the family had a blast... swing south on the way, Utah has a lot of scenery down there.  Look us up on the salt, small red, white and blue lakester, the kids can climb in for a foto op.  Oh, you and the wife as well if you want, we encourage kids of all ages to jump in. 
Bring lots of sunblock and water.... prepare to have lots of fun and see some unbelievable cars and bikes.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline MartinD

• New folks
« Reply #2916 on: January 17, 2014, 11:12:14 AM »
No chucthers around here :-D

No kilts either - English by birth, I just married a local.  :wink:

Thanks for the invite Stainless1. That'll be 4 kids - happy kids heading your way!

Thanks for all the info guys  :cheers:

Martin

Offline Pistonempire

• New folks
« Reply #2917 on: January 21, 2014, 05:02:54 AM »
Hi guys, and ladies,

I'm a Brit, but not in my head as I lived in Marin County for ten years, have loads of friends and family on the W.Coast. Name, Steve Read. I've been racing historic (hysteric?)/ vintage roundy round for the last 15 years. This time. For most of that time I and my best mate/ crew chief/ fellow racer Paul Richards have campaigned a screaming 65 Ford Anglia. This has now changed and we are about terrify Mini and Hillman Imp drivers with a '56 Studebaker Hawk circuit racer. Never been one over here before. We'll be picking them out of the grille like flies. Nearly done. All advice how to make these things go like the clappers warmly received.

I have been to Bonneville several times, never in Speed Week. I threw a timing chain there in '79 on my first cross country. Three days in Wendover. Got to know the place well. I wonder if that cigarette packet is still in the gutter. Probably. When we trundled across the States in our trusty 57 Chev C30 hippy wagon, 6 times, getting to the salt was always a buzz. To a young bloke from Essex, (think New Jersey without the charm or sophistication) I always had to pinch myself to realise it was ME...HERE. Wow! I'm 59 now and don't feel any different. I think it's fair to say...I get it!

My family is heavily involved in racing and LSR. My Uncle Bob Winkelmann was out there with Craig Breedlove last time around. It's amazing the faster Thrust SSC went, the more he reverted to being Brit! By the time the sonic boom came he was virtually out there in long kahki shorts with a pith helmet and drinking tea with his pinky in the air! God Save the Queen.

My brother Mark has also got the bug. He's project manager to Aussie Invader 5R and Rosco MCGlashans bid to hurl himself into the record books, or orbit. A 1000 mph! Nuts. They are down in Perth, Australia. I'm there in a month or so. A great bunch of blokes.

So I decided I had to keep up the family tradition. Paul and I want to run in Speed Week 2015 and haven't the slightest clue where to start. Never stopped us in the past. Realistically, we don't have the knowledge, time or access to resources to build a car in time for 2015. I'd love to do it in Studebaker Hawk. There seem to be plenty of them about, but I never see salt racers for sale. I presume it's like racing here, most of the good ones get passed around within the group.

Does anyone know of a decent car for sale at a sensible price? My email is steve@pistonempire.com

By the way, I'm launching a big website, Piston Empire, to cover all aspects of racing and classics. No small feat. I'd like to do a section dedicated to salt racing to bring it to a wider audience in Europe. We go live next week. Anyone want to contribute to a blog?

I look forward to meeting you lot out there. I'll be the one shaking like a leaf, hiding behind and solid object hoping not to be seen.

Steve

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #2918 on: January 22, 2014, 12:24:15 AM »
Steve, Welcome... check the for sale section.  Things that are old may still be for sale.  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline cmursick

« Reply #2919 on: January 29, 2014, 10:33:18 PM »
Ok where to start... my name is Chris and I am new to land speed racing. I have a background of off road racing and I currently own a custom fab and hot rod shop. I am currently prepping my truck for the 130 mph club. I figure its a good start to get my feet wet. So far we have the truck up to par which is a 37 ford truck I've chopped 4 inches and added a four point cage to. Everything has been smooth right up to the part of v and z rated tires, which I am currently trying to purchase, but I am out for all the info possible on this subject.  So any help would be great ... thank you
I do it Because every one around me says" you cant do that"...

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #2920 on: January 30, 2014, 03:06:19 PM »
Chris, that is starting to sound like it might pass 150 tech
start a diary and show us your horses
Stainless

Offline Tman

« Reply #2921 on: January 30, 2014, 05:01:34 PM »
Ok where to start... my name is Chris and I am new to land speed racing. I have a background of off road racing and I currently own a custom fab and hot rod shop. I am currently prepping my truck for the 130 mph club. I figure its a good start to get my feet wet. So far we have the truck up to par which is a 37 ford truck I've chopped 4 inches and added a four point cage to. Everything has been smooth right up to the part of v and z rated tires, which I am currently trying to purchase, but I am out for all the info possible on this subject.  So any help would be great ... thank you

Chris, glad you found the place! Fellas, and gals. Chris called me looking for info and help so I sent him tot eh best place I know. He is an accomplished offroad truck builder and has plans with another car later on. He is on the right track to get his feet wet and plans to be at Speedweek with pals to recon things! Welcome Chris!

Offline hotrodderhaag

« Reply #2922 on: January 31, 2014, 02:01:11 PM »
hi
my name is ben.. im a hotrod guy from nw pennsylvania. im over on the hamb and the fordbarn. im building a real traditional 34 ford lakes car, im building it to drive to bonneville next year.  also i purchased a 300 gal belly tank! this is what i have always wanted to build!
i work for a dust collection fabrication company, i do cnc programming and drafting.
i drive a model a ford with a 1937 blown flathead v8, ..
thanks guys

Offline DND

« Reply #2923 on: January 31, 2014, 03:18:40 PM »
Hi Ben

Welcome to the SLR and check out ' Andy Welkers Tank '

The fab work is spot on and is flathead powered too

G Don

Offline Tman

« Reply #2924 on: January 31, 2014, 04:53:49 PM »
hi
my name is ben.. im a hotrod guy from nw pennsylvania. im over on the hamb and the fordbarn. im building a real traditional 34 ford lakes car, im building it to drive to bonneville next year.  also i purchased a 300 gal belly tank! this is what i have always wanted to build!
i work for a dust collection fabrication company, i do cnc programming and drafting.
i drive a model a ford with a 1937 blown flathead v8, ..
thanks guys

Welcome Ben!