Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267315 times)

Offline DND

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2820 on: November 06, 2013, 12:51:56 AM »
Hi Jeff

Myself and 2 friends were there in 63' and that same car had top time too of 312, did Art ever tell you about the Arfon's Wall as the brothers both built their stuff in the same large barn

Then they got ticked off at each other, and built a wall right down the center so they did not have to look or talk to each other

As I recall that went on for years

In a Magazine story I read yrs ago they were testing their first jet engine and had it chained between two trees and did not know about how much jet blast it would make

They light her off and blew the chicken house right off the face of the earth when they gassed it up

Great story's from the past

BTW my friend Tom Davis had one of those 24 cyl W Allison's too

G Don
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:02:22 AM by DND »

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #2821 on: November 06, 2013, 06:07:24 AM »
Jeff,

about Art and his Anteater...the car from 1961....some years ago I asked Art, why this big Allison engine powered streamliner run only 313 mph....

his answer was....well, I could go faster, I had a three speed gearbox in...but I feared to shift in the second gear.. :roll:..so he run the 313 in the first gear....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2822 on: November 06, 2013, 10:22:47 AM »
Jeff, grab Judi and plan a trip to the salt 8-15 August 14... you will never be the same, and you will be able to understand what your dad was talking about.  I've only been going since 1978, so no old timer stories here...  :|
 :cheers: 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2823 on: November 06, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »
Jeff;

Whatever happened to that Allison?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #2824 on: November 06, 2013, 02:43:51 PM »
Neil:

The Allison will be a tight squeeze in the Manta.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Mentzer

• New folks
« Reply #2825 on: November 06, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »
DND - I never heard that crazy wall story, I wouldn't doubt it as they were quite competitive,
That story about lighting off the jet engine is true, I think it was a J79?
I have the original Hot Rod magazine with that article in it...
Now where did I put that? LOL
PorkPie - I remember my Dad telling me that they had traction issues, so the 1st. gear deal is spot on  :-)
Stainless1 - Yes, we have talked about it as life gets shorter by the minute.
We have it penciled in on the calendar, I get goose bumps just thinking about it.
Manta22 - I have no clue as to where that W engine went, my guess is that E.J. Potter (The Michigan MadMan) probably snatched it up!
So along with traction issues I remember my dad telling me that Art came back from a test run and said pull the plugs on her Don, lets see how she looks.
Dad started to pull the plugs out, all 24 of them  :-o
Art say's, Fatten her up...  She's runnin lean...
So my Dad wanted to change jets but they already had the biggest ones in there that they had on hand so my Dad literally pulls the entire jets right out and say's she's good to go Art with a big grin...
Art say's what pills did you put in her? and my Dad shows em the pills in his hand, Art chuckles and say's I'll give her Hell!

Speed Costs Money - How Fast You Wanna Go?

Offline TIIILSR

• New folks
« Reply #2826 on: November 07, 2013, 04:43:53 AM »
My name is Mike. Born in 68. I am putting together a 69 VW fastback to run on the salt and possibly other land speed runs in other places. Have raced and played with VWs offroad in class 5 unlimited for a short time. Sold that car, now to go fast in a VW with much less suspension and in a straight line. Have been reading here for a bit of time and was finally able to sign up to post. Looking forward to chat with everyone.

Mike   
Mike
Jackpot motorsports

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #2827 on: November 07, 2013, 05:57:12 AM »
Jeff,

the second name of an Allison engine is......."traction issue"..... :-D...when you use them on the salt.....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #2828 on: November 08, 2013, 12:02:23 AM »
Welcome, Mike. There are a number of racers and Bonneville veterans, Inspectors and the like right here in the `couv....Get in touch if you have any questions about your build. I`d be glad to help if I can....Cheers....Kiwi Paul...

Offline TIIILSR

• New folks
« Reply #2829 on: November 08, 2013, 12:23:54 AM »
Welcome, Mike. There are a number of racers and Bonneville veterans, Inspectors and the like right here in the `couv....Get in touch if you have any questions about your build. I`d be glad to help if I can....Cheers....Kiwi Paul...
Thank you. When it comes time to cage it I will be asking lots of questions for sure.

I am in Orchards area.

Mike
Mike
Jackpot motorsports

Offline Mentzer

• New folks
« Reply #2830 on: November 08, 2013, 03:51:51 AM »
My name is Mike. Born in 68. I am putting together a 69 VW fastback to run on the salt and possibly other land speed runs in other places. Have raced and played with VWs offroad in class 5 unlimited for a short time. Sold that car, now to go fast in a VW with much less suspension and in a straight line. Have been reading here for a bit of time and was finally able to sign up to post. Looking forward to chat with everyone.

Mike   
Welcome Mike, I applaud you for taking the speed challenge on with a VW.
The 1st, few engines I built were VW's, once you have it in your blood your always a VW person - Just Love Em!
Good luck with your build  :cheers:
Speed Costs Money - How Fast You Wanna Go?

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2831 on: November 08, 2013, 04:55:50 AM »
Welcome Jeff. Great story you wrote. Thanks and hope you stay. Mikey. :cheers:

Offline WFIndianV2

• New folks
  • Worlds Fastest Indian Version 2
    • Worlds Fastest Indian Version 2
« Reply #2832 on: November 08, 2013, 05:18:45 PM »
My name is Lisa and I've been around motorcycles since I was 12. My grandfather owned an Indian and met my grandmother at a Harley club meeting in NYC. I started riding on a Honda Trail 50. I've now been riding for 40+ years. I'm currently working as the finance manager at Victory BMW, Indian Motorcycle and Vespa of Chandler (AZ). I've worked at two dealerships prior to this in California, one of which is pretty well known in the LSR world: San Jose BMW. I've been riding BMWs for about 12 years now.

However, I have this great (some say hair-brained) idea to build the Worlds Fastest Indian Version 2 and pilot it myself on the Bonneville Salt Flats. I'm going to start working on a business/marketing plan to do this. I'm using this as a two fold endeavor: 1) to resurrect the idea of a Worlds Fastest Indian with the new Polaris based platform and 2) to get myself to a personal fitness and health level I've been wanting to achieve for my whole adult life.

If you're interested in helping, I will be seeking sponsors soon but please don't take offense: I'm not going to ask for money here! That's why I'm going to go for corporate sponsorship with a plan in mind and on paper. I'm also going to be building a website called worldsfastestindianV2.com. I've already secured and parked the domain name! Watch me go!

Lisa Malachowsky
aka tripgrrl@gmail.com
aka lisa@divenrideadventures.com
aka vbmwfinance@ridenow.com
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 05:39:05 PM by WFIndianV2 »
Lisa Malachowsky
tripgrrl@gmail.com
Worlds Fastest Indian Version 2!

Offline DND

« Reply #2833 on: November 09, 2013, 05:10:39 AM »
Hi Lisa

That is a great idea, will your bike be like Bert's or a streamliner?

Make sure you do your homework first on who you are going to get, to help guide you down the right road or in this case ' Salt '

There are a ton of talkers out there but you need a real Doer so you have a safe bullet proof racing machine to do well with your bike project

I wish you great success with your Indian 2

Just a note as I was there in the 60's and saw Bert run his bike [ he was a real doer ]

Sincerely  G Don

Offline charlie101

• Indian 101 buff
« Reply #2834 on: November 11, 2013, 09:16:46 AM »
My name is Lisa and I've been around motorcycles since I was 12. My grandfather owned an Indian and met my grandmother at a Harley club meeting in NYC. I started riding on a Honda Trail 50. I've now been riding for 40+ years. I'm currently working as the finance manager at Victory BMW, Indian Motorcycle and Vespa of Chandler (AZ). I've worked at two dealerships prior to this in California, one of which is pretty well known in the LSR world: San Jose BMW. I've been riding BMWs for about 12 years now.

However, I have this great (some say hair-brained) idea to build the Worlds Fastest Indian Version 2 and pilot it myself on the Bonneville Salt Flats. I'm going to start working on a business/marketing plan to do this. I'm using this as a two fold endeavor: 1) to resurrect the idea of a Worlds Fastest Indian with the new Polaris based platform and 2) to get myself to a personal fitness and health level I've been wanting to achieve for my whole adult life.

If you're interested in helping, I will be seeking sponsors soon but please don't take offense: I'm not going to ask for money here! That's why I'm going to go for corporate sponsorship with a plan in mind and on paper. I'm also going to be building a website called worldsfastestindianV2.com. I've already secured and parked the domain name! Watch me go!

Lisa Malachowsky
aka tripgrrl@gmail.com
aka lisa@divenrideadventures.com
aka vbmwfinance@ridenow.com

Hi Lisa. It would be a very interesting project to follow, it's bound to happen with the new and exciting Indian powerplant. Are you aiming for really fast going with a streamliner or a slower sit on bike? Looking forward to a build diarie here. It doesnt matter if it is in it's infancy yet. If you need a good designer, here's a guy that's involved in a couple of coming attempts. http://newsblogg.viztech.se/