Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267352 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2805 on: October 19, 2013, 09:15:30 AM »
Safety equipment requirements for the dirt and salt would make your truck very hard to street... unless you plan to run 130 or 160 club at the WoS on the salt.  I would start with 130 club, check the rules, you are probably already legal  :-o
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2806 on: October 19, 2013, 12:04:38 PM »
Safety equipment requirements for the dirt and salt would make your truck very hard to street... unless you plan to run 130 or 160 club at the WoS on the salt.  I would start with 130 club, check the rules, you are probably already legal  :-o

For those that don't know, these events are run by the USFRA and are available at their meet, The World of Speed, held shortly after Speedweek.

Pete

Offline dw230

« Reply #2807 on: October 19, 2013, 05:07:46 PM »
When making recommendations it would help to add a link, such as:

www.saltflats.com

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #2808 on: October 20, 2013, 11:31:44 AM »
Good plan Dan....
Just trying to get lots of folks infected...  :-D 

BTW the beer I gave you almost makes a good substitute for morning coffee  :roll:
 :cheers:
Stainless

Offline fj1289

• New folks
« Reply #2809 on: October 24, 2013, 09:29:28 AM »
Hello all - I'm Chris Wyatt and I'm and LSR newbie.

Seems my in-laws and some of their friends made regular trips to the salt in the past years. Sitting around the breakfast table a few weeks ago we put Speed Week on the calendar. Plan to run my 89 Yamaha FJ1200.

Interested in any advice for first timer on the salt -- especially on making the most of the available traction!

Specs on the bike: 1314cc's with head work and mild cams - nice street motor.  I'm in the process of finishing an EFI conversion using microsquirt based ECU.  The ECU has the ability to control two stages of nitrous - but fixed hit only.  Don't know that I'll work up to using it the first time out, but would be interested in hearing recommendations on how to utilize nitrous on the salt - top gear only?  One stage to get up to speed and a second to hold it (as bottle pressure decreases)?   

Other two-wheeled speed based pursuit is drag racing an 84 Yamaha FJ1100. Specs on it are 1447cc's, Carrillo rods, a lot of head work, big cams, Lectrons, stretched to 66" wheelbase, etc.

Online Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #2810 on: October 24, 2013, 09:10:20 PM »
Chris, :cheers: welcome to the forum and good luck on your bike. If you search the forum you will find lots of bike builds and nitrous info. Start by getting a rule book and reading about bike classes.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Karl SSR

• New folks
« Reply #2811 on: October 26, 2013, 05:53:21 AM »
Hi My name is Karl-Johan living in Gothenburg Sweden.
In to bikes, cars and hot rods since many years ago.
We are a couple of friends who just started to build a land speed race car ultimate goal
is to make it all the way to Bonneville.
The car is a Volvo Amazon estate, engine is a turbocharged Volvo engine.
But as I sad we are beginners and have just started.
We have a lot to learn, find out the hard way and to do to before we are there

Best regards Karl

Offline fj1289

• New folks
« Reply #2812 on: October 27, 2013, 11:47:34 PM »
Chris, :cheers: welcome to the forum and good luck on your bike. If you search the forum you will find lots of bike builds and nitrous info. Start by getting a rule book and reading about bike classes.

Thanks Speed Limit -- rule book ordered!  I'll dig more on the build threads - thanks for the clue on where to dig. Been focused on legal tire threads so far...
Also need to complete my profile - I'm in Franktown CO

Chris

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2813 on: October 28, 2013, 10:44:57 AM »
You could, if you chose to do so,  let me assign you a home town.  Have you every been to Dinky Doodle, Delaware?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fj1289

• New folks
« Reply #2814 on: October 29, 2013, 12:38:19 AM »
You could, if you chose to do so,  let me assign you a home town.  Have you every been to Dinky Doodle, Delaware?

Oh crap!  Better get busy!

Offline tt460

• New folks
« Reply #2815 on: October 29, 2013, 11:03:45 AM »
Hey All,

My name is Trever Cornwell and I'm from Michigan.  I just joined the site at the urging of Gary Hensley.

My first exposure to Land-speed was back in the late 90's at Maxton, NC where I met Keith Turk and crewed on his car for a day.  Now that the ECTA is in Ohio I went to the last meet and had a great time with a good friend with whom I've built some drag cars (Eric Meyer).

We had a good time and are setting out to build an LSR car, mostly for Wilmington, but maybe someday it'll see the salt.

The car is an '87 TurboCoupe.  The engine is a 5.0L with a twin turbo setup and an aftermarket EFI setup.  The motor was running last year in a Mustang, but the original car was wrecked.  So the TT302 setup will just be transferred over to the new car.  We're hoping to make a couple trips to Wilmington next year to shake things out and get our feet wet, get licensed and learn the alphabet-soup of all the classes.

Looking to people here to guide us and keep us from making mistakes!

- Trever

Offline bearingburner

Karl
« Reply #2816 on: October 29, 2013, 11:12:56 AM »
Remember we were all beginners to start with. I have been at a lakester build for 12 years and am still a beginner.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #2817 on: October 30, 2013, 05:10:14 PM »
Trever, buy a couple of rulebooks, SCTA and ECTA, they are somewhat similar but not completely, so if you are thinking salt in the future, be sure to build to the SCTA book.  I think anything that passes tech at the salt will pass anywhere as long as you put brakes on it for the pavement.
Stainless

Offline Mentzer

• New folks
« Reply #2818 on: November 05, 2013, 11:41:01 PM »
Hello my name is Jeffrey Mentzer, I'm the son of Donald J. Mentzer also known as Jack.
I live in Plainwell, Michigan just north of Kalamazoo.
My father passed away on May 11th, 2005 and I miss him every day.
He had a brief history with Bonneville being a crew member for Art Arfons back in 1961 which they ran a 313 MPH for the top time of the meet.
He and 4 other men from Kalamazoo attempted to build a streamliner back in 1960-1961 with an Allison V-3420 - B - 10.
This was a W engine with 24 cylinders.
It was an experimental engine built for the government during the war.
It had a 5 1/2 inch bore, 6 inch stroke, 3420 C.I. with a compression ratio of 6.5:1.
Two crankshafts, counter rotating and weighed 2750 pounds dry.
6000 Horsepower.
The men involved were my father Donald Mentzer, the engine owner Berney Moulton, David Richer, Donald Jones and James Lyon.
The project was never completed due to lack of funding.
I have the Kalamazoo Gazette newspaper article and a stack of prints, drawings, letters and articles about the project.
The engine was in my fathers garage at the time of the photo in the Gazette.
My Dad always wanted to take a trip out to B-Ville as he called it so he could let me experience what it is like to witness speed.
He passed away from cancer and we never did make it out.
I have been reading on here a lot and I'm puzzled that there isn't much written about the old days at B-Ville.
I had the pleasure to meet Art Arfons back when he was running the tractor pull circuit.
I wish I had a camera at the time to preserve the image of Art and my Dad making eye contact with huge smiles and big hugs.
They shared some great stories and many laughs that day.
I had a great teacher as my Dad taught me to wrench as I built my 1st. engine when I was 16.
I'm 48 now and I'm into Wrenching of course and riding my Harley and I'm currently building a street / strip 1974 Pontiac Ventura with a 69 Ram Air III 400 motor - TH-400 setup.
I had the pleasure to wrench on Jeff Bozell's Super Late model for many years wiring every car he ran.
His brother Andy is the 12 time track champion of the Kalamazoo Speedway (Fastest 3/8 mile) in the world.
What a great family, my ears are always wide open around them as there's always so much to learn!
I have dreams of building an LSR car someday, it's in everyone's dreams isn't it?
I enjoy life with my awesome wife Judi and she knows it's in my blood.
I'm hoping someone chimes in to tell some old stories, maybe about Art and my Dad back in 61?
I will see what I can do to get some of this stuff scanned and posted, that way I can share the stories and history that the old B-Ville so deserves.

Speed Costs Money - How Fast You Wanna Go?

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #2819 on: November 06, 2013, 12:08:05 AM »
Welcome aboard Jeff!
Looking forward to those post!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com