Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2273231 times)

Offline oval55

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2790 on: September 23, 2013, 08:20:01 PM »
hi everybody im cristofer miranda from mexico im looking to get enough knoledge and experience to built my own belly tank or some  wird transport for me so if you can help me or guide me i will really apreciate thanks

Offline Freud

« Reply #2791 on: September 23, 2013, 10:59:21 PM »
Most of the great ideas in this site come after we can't get the top off of a twist top bottle.

Trash the cans. Bottles only.

Many tanks were designed that way.

But a few were designed before bottle beer.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2792 on: September 23, 2013, 11:51:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Cristofer.  There are a lot of wing tanks and a belly tank on the build diaries.  There is lots of info there.

Offline kankanlsr

• New folks
« Reply #2793 on: September 24, 2013, 06:43:44 PM »
Hi Everyone. I've just joined after seeing mention of this forum on a FB comment from Carbinite LSR (sorry to see the World Finals are cancelled due to weather).

I'm based in the UK in the North not far from Manchester. I've always been interested in speed racing, much because I was born in the early sixties and grew amid the National awe of the great Donald Campbell. Over the years I've done nothing about speed racing, simply because I honestly felt it was beyond my reach. The big guns get to run in places like Bonneville - the best the UK had to offer was ... ... well nowhere really. Its still a bit short on realistic venues, except now Pendine Sands is up and running once again.

Pendine Landspeed Racing club has totally fuelled my late but enthusiastic involvement with the sport. I went to the first Pendine event in June to watch and fact find. It was a privilege to be there for such an historic event. The first organised mass speed trial on the Sands since John Parry-Thomas gave his life in his brave attempt to regain the outright LSR from Sir Malcolm Campbell. That first event was for bikes, and last month a four wheeled event was run by the Vintage Hot Rod Association.

So, for myself I've started a project to build a Land Speed Bike. A production based machine to race in the UK for now, and maybe one day in the awesome place that is Bonneville Salt Flats. At the moment I'm at the beginning of the adventure, I've got an engineering sponsor and a tyre sponsor which is helpful, and I've got much of the basic parts, but there is so much modifying and designing to come. Wow, what a journey.

I'm using the name Kankan Land Speed Racing. 'Can' is an important word I think, racers and builders have to be tenacious, and I believe I can.

Chris

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2794 on: September 24, 2013, 07:07:34 PM »
Welcome to the board & all the best running on the historic Pendine sands.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline DND

« Reply #2795 on: September 24, 2013, 07:37:06 PM »
Hi Chris

Ditto to what Dyno room says, and that type of bike will you build and will it be blown or unblown

Will you start a build thread here for us guys to see

Good luck with your bike and have some fun too

G Don

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2796 on: September 24, 2013, 07:54:15 PM »
Chris,welcome to the forum. Wish you the best in your build and our sport, Malcome is a cool guy and has much knowledge of LSR on both sides of the pond. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bratfink

« Reply #2797 on: October 03, 2013, 02:41:05 PM »
Hi all,

I thought I was already registered on here, but when I went to log in after many years it didn't work so I re-registered.

Name is James Bratby, Bratfink is my online persona (a play on the Classic Ed Roth character). I have been interested in Land Speed Racing since I had the opportunity to be mentored by Glynn Bowsher (Mechanical Designer of the Thrust SSC car) during my University studies in UK.

I now live in the US and work as an aerodynamicist and Design Engineer at a wind tunnel facility in Indianapolis.

I have a gestational idea for a Streamliner (like everyone else here), but every time I go to the Salt I see a better idea and decide to try and incorporate it in my design, thus requing a major re-design. That coupled with funds means it'll probably never get built.

I have been to the salt on and off since 08 with a couple of different teams.

Offline DND

« Reply #2798 on: October 03, 2013, 04:55:53 PM »
Hi James

And welcome to the group, I think that Thrust car is as good as it gets and got the job done too

Hope someday you can build your dream car too

G Don

Offline no clever name tim

• New folks
« Reply #2799 on: October 05, 2013, 11:41:42 PM »
hi every one. my name is tim from arizona. i have always wanted to go to bonneville for as long as i can remember. 5 years ago my dad and i went to speedweek for the first time as spectators. i believe the very first vehicle we seen run was speed demon. i was hooked! we have been back every year since. every time we go, i always say, "some day im gonna run here". well after seeing a friend break a record this weekend in a diferent kind of racing and realizing i aint getting any younger, i decided to register here and "some day" starts now. im gonna dig out my plymouth duster and run /cpro. at least thats the plan right now. like every one i guess my ultimate goal is to set a record and get that red hat, but if i never do, well thats just fine too. i can at least say i was there and tried it. hope to see you on the salt next year as a racer or spectator.
tim

Offline dw230

« Reply #2800 on: October 06, 2013, 01:20:11 PM »
Tim,

George and Ron, Speed Demon, will be glad to welcome you back every year. Seems that if you are in attendance they win the Hot Rod Top Speed trophy.

Good luck,
DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline no clever name tim

• New folks
« Reply #2801 on: October 06, 2013, 09:33:35 PM »
i try to do my part. lol :-D

Offline mexican jon

• New folks
« Reply #2802 on: October 11, 2013, 05:31:46 AM »
Hi

Just joined up as planning on racing at Bonneville 2014 with a bunch of guys from Britchopper forum, Names Jon But known as Mexican Jon hence the name. Work offshore so this site should give me plenty to read while I'm supposed to be working lol.
People Say You Only Live Once - I Say Thank F@#k Can't Afford To Do It Twice

Offline Cortez

• New folks
  • My 59
    • My truck site
« Reply #2803 on: October 17, 2013, 10:38:54 AM »
Hello,

I'm in the process of building a 1959 Chevy 1/2 pickup for race & weekend street use. The engine is a 1970 Corvette LT-1 350 & a M-21 Muncie, with a Dana 60 rear. I plan on adding the required safety equipment so I can test it at El Mirage or Bonneville. I also need to search this forum so I can find out about the tires & wheels that I can use.

I look forward to learning here. Hopefully, I will have my truck ready for next season.

:cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2804 on: October 17, 2013, 11:33:54 AM »
Howdy -- and welcome to the Forum.  Thanks for joining up.  I know that you'll be able to find the answers to any and all of your questions here -- and have a great time doing that, too.

Now - I'm not a car guy (bikes are my forte, if you will), but I am pretty sure that I can respond to your idea of building a streetable vehicle that will have required safety equipment to run at the lakes.  Basically -- it ain't gonna happen.  That is, the safety requirements are stringent enough that you wouldn't find the truck to be suitable for daily driver use.

That sums it up, I think, although there are folks on the forum that are in much better position to tell you what you need to know.  One thing that you will need, though, is a copy of the rulebook.  Get three copies and read 'em 'til you've worn the print off the pages.  And when you find a phrase or paragraph or something else that you don't understand -- ask about it here.

Best wishes and once again, welcome to the Forum.

Jon a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com