Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267579 times)

Offline Rachana

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2745 on: August 09, 2013, 09:48:27 AM »
Thank you, Freud :)

SSS - I made my bf try to guess where we were going and he had no idea. I showed him your email and he was simultaneously excited and disappointed that we weren't going, but thoroughly supportive of my decision given the circumstances. We're going to come out to cheer you all on next year. :)

Offline LyleJ

• New folks
  • In loving memory of Howard & Colette and "Myrtle"
« Reply #2746 on: August 19, 2013, 12:46:48 AM »
Greetings all, my name is Lyle Johnson. I'm new to the forum but not new to the salt  :lol:
Some of you knew my dad Howard... He got into the 2 club in August of '69 and I was born 9 months later. He and I had our engine in a friend's lakester in the late 80's & early 90's and I was able to get an A license. Then I had kids and thought I could no longer afford Speed Week  :cry:
After my mom and dad passed my best friend Dale talked me into coming back out in 2011 and I was instantly re-infected with salt fever. I got a job the next year as a course steward and I am currently stationed as the "Short Rover" on course #1. That means roving patrol on the return road side of course #1 at the 1-1/4 mile. I love it because I get to wave at all of u guys and gals headed from the pits to the staging lanes, occasionally chasing errant drivers, push trucks and the occasional spectator (or 3) that drive across courses 2 & 1 coming from course 3 (bestill my  pounding heart!) Long story short, I'm so happy to be here on the forum and back on the salt after a 19 year break.
It was a pleasure to meet SSS and Freud and to rekindle old friendships. My friends back home can't understand why I disappear for a week, come home sunburnt, tell them I worked 12 hour days for vacation, and can't stop blabbing about it... They just don't get it lol :? :-)
Thanks again for the site and I look forward to seeing all of you soon!
Land Speed Enthusiast
BNI volunteer

Offline Freud

« Reply #2747 on: August 19, 2013, 12:56:01 AM »
Your Dad was a winner.

I remember him well.

Thanks for finding me.

I'll get to looking before long.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline LyleJ

• New folks
« Reply #2748 on: August 19, 2013, 01:15:23 AM »
Thanks Freud, it touched my heart to visit with you. I hope to see you in October  :-)
Land Speed Enthusiast
BNI volunteer

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #2749 on: August 19, 2013, 01:30:56 PM »
Lyle,

was great to see you back at the salt......World Finals....same place...see you there.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline LyleJ

• New folks
« Reply #2750 on: August 20, 2013, 01:01:42 AM »
Pork Pie, it was great to see you too  :cheers: I'm looking forward to seeing you at World Finals  8-)
Land Speed Enthusiast
BNI volunteer

Offline big mac

• New folks
« Reply #2751 on: August 23, 2013, 11:41:55 AM »
I've been a lurker for awhile, I should do an introduction I suppose....

Name is "Mac". I live about 1.5hrs from Bonneville and go out every year for opening weekend. I'm a wannabe I guess. I've never raced, probably never will, but I can't get enough of the cars, the environment, the sounds, the overall atmosphere of the bonneville salt flats. It's like medication for me. I'm a hot rodder and have a '54 chevy belair. I'm really into collecting Bonneville racing memorabilia. Old stuff. I have some cool nick-nacks and some crazy rare old signs and stuff. If you have any of that old "junk" I'm the guy to call!!! Thanks everyone, I look forward to learning from the folks on the boards.

Mac

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2752 on: August 23, 2013, 12:34:14 PM »
Mac, once in a while someone will donate old Bville memorabilia stuff to landracing.com so I can sell it as a fundraiser for the site.  Keep your eyes open and we'll see what we can do for you.  Too bad you didn't get to Salt Talks on Sunday, 11 August this year.  We had a bunch of old stuff -- rulebooks, posters, magazines with Bonneville racers in 'em, and a batch of stickers and so on from one of the regulars here.  All I can say is to watch this space. And - welcome to the Forum.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline big mac

• New folks
« Reply #2753 on: August 23, 2013, 05:46:16 PM »
Ya I missed the Salt Talks get together. I helped another member here (Tman) with a HAMB bbq to generate a few dollars for Save The Salt the night before, then headed home Sunday afternoon. I'll watch the site for any auctions. Thanks for the tip!

Mac

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #2754 on: August 23, 2013, 11:50:25 PM »
Mac--If you went to Trent`s Event you would have seen some of the same pieces as at Salt Talks, as I gave him a `Care Package`as well....Pm me if you have specific things you are looking for. I have some holes in my modest collection of stuff...We might trade, eh? :-D

Offline tattoo_wes

• New folks
« Reply #2755 on: September 04, 2013, 10:04:50 PM »
hey all, my names Wes and im a 27 year old fabricator from phoenix, AZ. I am new to the salt but im planning to make the trip out there sometime in 2014. my first time out id like to run in a 175cc motorcycle class but I have some learning to do before the build gets underway. still trying to figure out what it is im shooting for. even if its not possible with this bike im still building it my way and running for fun!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2756 on: September 05, 2013, 01:30:10 AM »
A few years ago my youngest son, Werner, built a bike for the 175cc class.  He got somewhere near 60 mph on it.  The 175 class is a lot of fun.   

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #2757 on: September 05, 2013, 01:48:09 AM »
Welcome to our addiction Wes, the 175cc class is a LOT of fun, although it can still break your heart, the thrill of success remains.

http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=556

Tiny (in OZ)
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline tattoo_wes

• New folks
« Reply #2758 on: September 05, 2013, 10:40:11 AM »
I'm doing it more for myself than a record shot but I'd still like to know what I'm aiming for. Ha. I'm just having a hard time decoding the classes when I look at records to figure out what the heck I'm actually looking at. Its still a bunch of letters I can't figure out in my eyes.

Offline gmansyz

• New folks
  • me-me
« Reply #2759 on: September 09, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
Hiya'll
Greg from NC here. Not much of an LSR guy but into the go fast stuff with engine tech and EFI. Putting a Turbo Busa engine in an old Katana for general street use and widening the tranny gears.
Used to make racing pistons but enjoying the unemployed life right now.
Laters all.
G