Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267598 times)

Offline salt27

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2655 on: April 14, 2013, 06:49:02 PM »
Welcome aboard Dr. Strange,

Your avatar looks fastly familiar.

Don
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 06:51:43 PM by salt27 »

Offline 93SVT5.0TT

• New folks
« Reply #2656 on: April 14, 2013, 07:56:02 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Rob and Joe.

I have a plan for my truck, but I will check out the other threads as you mentioned, they can always help me make things better!

Unfortunately, I will not be able to get to an event before speed week 2014. I should be ok on the salt for the first time driving, I am bringing a tow vehicle driver who's been out there for speed week. Oh and I dove head first into drag racing over a decade ago! Man, time flies!   :-o

Tristan

gkabbt

« Reply #2657 on: April 15, 2013, 09:31:31 PM »
Tristan, as others have said.....welcome to the addiction!
I'm doing one of the mini trucks that Stainless was talking about and my build is:
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,10671.0.html
SteveM is the other and his build is:
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,10625.0.html
The really cool thing about our builds is that are both Dodge Rampages.
Mine is an 83 that I am setting up for F/BMMP and Steve's is an 84 that he is setting up for H/DT.
Ours are both retaining FWD but you can probably pick up some ideas for your truck.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Again, Welcome,
Gregg
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 09:35:47 PM by gkabbt »

Offline 93SVT5.0TT

• New folks
« Reply #2658 on: April 21, 2013, 03:11:15 PM »
Hi Gregg, thanks for the links, and the warm welcome!

Took awhile to go through those build threads, but worth the time :)  :cheers:

When are you planning on racing??

Thanks again,

Tristan

Offline Tman

« Reply #2659 on: April 25, 2013, 03:15:13 PM »
HELLO OUT THERE!! Longtime reader first time poster. Just sayin' hi. Takin' a break from the car and thought I'd give a shout out. Been at the salt for a few years, some better then others. Got a little sportscar that we run, it's pretty quick. We'll see if this year we can make it fast.lol Thanks for your time, and remembre...... always carry limes and Tequila.... Bonneville will supply the salt.

Welcome, your reputation preceeds you.

Offline Phil Bennett

• 1978 Indy 500 Pace Car
« Reply #2660 on: April 26, 2013, 02:41:12 PM »
Hello from the UK.  Thanks to the BBC programme Speed Dreams about Bonneville the wife has agreed that 2013 should be our first visit to Speed Week.  Before she had chance to change her mind the flights have been booked and it's just a matter of getting an RV to sleep in.  We're really looking forward to coming over with our son and seeing what the salt is all about.  We'll be there from Saturday for 4 days so hope to spend some time wandering the pits and enjoying the runs.

Offline DND

« Reply #2661 on: April 26, 2013, 03:12:50 PM »
Hi Phil

Be sure to take a video cam with you to record some cars and runs and bikes too, this salt is like a big Magnet that will pull you back for more.

You might wan't to make up a notebook with questions and a place for answers if you deside to race there in the future.

Enjoy, Don

Offline Phil Bennett

• 1978 Indy 500 Pace Car
« Reply #2662 on: April 26, 2013, 05:20:32 PM »
Hi Don, I think this will be a once in a lifetime trip for us.  I'll be bringing several cameras and video equipment and can't wait to get out there.  We're hoping to find a few Brit's doing runs out there so our son can do a scrap book following a few competitors.  The only issue I have is with the RV and getting hoop-ups for water and power at night.  I've emailed the Nugget and Koa without reply.  We are looking at having some time nights at the bend in the road, but need to find a place to fill up on water.  Any ideas?

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #2663 on: April 26, 2013, 05:43:56 PM »
The truck stop at the west end of Wendover has a free water hose we use to fill our tanks, it is clean and you can drink it. The KOA charges as much as a motel room. Speed Week all of Wendover over charges for everything.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2664 on: April 26, 2013, 07:48:44 PM »
In 2012 there was free dumping of used sanitary water at the parking lot of the soon-to-be-built museum - across from Mike Crawford's CarQuest shop.  I don't remember if there was a water spigot there - but maybe by now there is.  Otherwise - that tap at the Pilot truck stop is available.  Mind that you have a hose with you to get the water into your tank.

You're welcome, I assume, to park your RV in the Museum parking lot.  No utilities (other than the afore-mentioned sewer and maybe water), but it's free and the closest you can get to the salt and still be in town (so to speak).

Where will you be renting your RV?  We got one from Salt Lake City bank in '01, and the place did not ask if we were going to the salt flats.  A rental place in SLC might, by now, be wise and ask for a destination.  If you rent from someplace farther away -- Las Vegas, or Los Angeles or San Francisco - - they'll never think to ask where the heck you're going.  Whatever -- don't tell them that you're headed to Bville or they'll probably get snippy and force you to either abandon your idea of renting -- or have you sign a waiver and still have to pay hundreds of dollars for cleaning.  Beware.

As for electricity -- do what you can to afford to rent an EV with built-in generator.  It'll (of course) give you freedom from needing a hookup.  Sometimes the generator doesn't add anything to the basic rental price - but they'll get you on the hourly charges for using it.

If you haven't tried the KoA - go ahead and give them a call.  JB says they're full -- but maybe there's a waiting list.  They've got full provisions there -- even wi-fi, I think.  Their phone number is in the Rulebook (near the end of the book).

Finally - the Bend in the Road has unlimited free parking for RVs.  It isn't necessarily the quietest place thanks to late night revelry, but there's always someone that you can chum wit.  If you want less noise -- you're welcome to drive up the hill a few hundred yards from the Bend - - and you'll find lots of space and silence.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 07:52:06 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DND

« Reply #2665 on: April 26, 2013, 08:39:27 PM »
Hi Phil

I went to the salt 4 times in the 60's and it has all changed now, in 63' 3 of us guys from my town stayed 3 days and camped out next to the road going from Wendover to the entrance of the race course.
It was such a low key event that you could do those types of things, now with over 500 racing machines it is a big deal.
Like Stainless and the other people that go each year say, they know the right stuff to do
My family came from the UK so i'am light skined too, make sure you have long sleved shirts and a broad brim hat as you will get sunburned from the bottom up
The sun reflects off the salt and gets you under your parts - nose - ears - arms etc

Don

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2666 on: April 26, 2013, 11:47:45 PM »
My good Dr.   that is about as big off an understatement  :-o  that I have ever read, or even heard of lol  welcome aboard when are you guys going to have a coming out party---lol---
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Phil Bennett

• 1978 Indy 500 Pace Car
« Reply #2667 on: April 27, 2013, 12:10:34 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  I'll not be mentioning the salt when we pick up the motorhome in SLC and we'll just be careful to keep it clean on the inside.  I'd heard about the foothills away from the bend so will take a look if it's too noisy for the lad to sleep, although he manages fine at the Isle of Man TT so this will be OK.  The generator is unlimited so my only worry was the water but had seen on Google the truck stop so hoped there may be something.  I started watching Speed Demon videos earlier.  As impressive as Streamliners are, it's the rods and classic US muscle which I want to see.  I run a '78 Corvette Pace Car so hope to see a few out there on the salt. 

Offline dw230

« Reply #2668 on: April 28, 2013, 12:52:29 AM »
Here is a piece of info I have used.

When using the "free" water at the truck stop I give the counter guy $20, following that gratuity there is no hassel about coming and blowing salt build up from the bottom of the truck the rest of the week. If not offered you may find the water shut off. I attend 4-5 events each year and need lots of flushing.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2669 on: April 28, 2013, 01:14:05 PM »
So does your truck.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records