Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267158 times)

Offline buickracer69

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2625 on: March 17, 2013, 10:01:23 PM »
Hello,

My name is Gary. I am into hot rods and racing as all of you are. Right now I drag race but am wanting to get into LSR. I am looking at possibly getting an S10 that is for sale on the forum right now, and if I don't I will start building something in the near(ish) future. I am looking forward to learning a lot and getting ideas for my project.

Looking forward to meeting you guys,

Gary

Offline 2Loose

• New folks
« Reply #2626 on: March 20, 2013, 05:28:48 PM »
Aloha from the island of Maui.
I'm "2Loose" Willy, and I am trying to figure out if I can pull off a visit to Bonneville during speed week this year.

Of course, I want to drive my '55 Chevy old style "gasser" to Bonneville, not to race, but to watch and see what it is all about, and to have an adventure along the way.
It's a bit spendy to ship a car over and back to do this, but what the heck, it would be a once in a life time event for me.
I'm a retired mechanical engineer, spent my life developing and working on sugar cane and pineapple specialized field machinery here in Hawaii, and in my spare time fabbing and driving modified fifties era cars, trucks, and Harleys....

My "gasser" is powered by a '67 Olds 425 with 7 lbs boost from a 6/71 roots blower, with a pair of Holley HP 600's on top, and runs a stick shift, a Doug Nash 5 speed.
My best time so far at our local drag strip is 12.2 sec. at 118 mph, and that is with spinning street tires and a 3.00 rear gear set.  It's basically a street cruiser that I go down and run at the track once in awhile....

So if I were to ship it in to LA or SF in August, what would be the possibilities of hooking up with a group driving to Bonneville?

Here's a pic of my '55:

And a LINK to my web page on this car....

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #2627 on: March 20, 2013, 05:50:07 PM »
Nice old time gasser.   You could take it to USFRA ...

Joe

Offline 2Loose

• New folks
« Reply #2628 on: March 21, 2013, 12:40:38 PM »
USFRA, or Utah Salt Flats Racing Association, had to look it up, Sept. 7-10 for the "World of Speed" races this year.
http://www.saltflats.com/index.html
Interesting!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 12:42:17 PM by 2Loose »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2629 on: March 21, 2013, 04:37:10 PM »
2L, the USFRA has the Club races that are not available at Speedweek.  It gives folks the opportunity to run their street car in the 130 club or their street car with a roll bar in the 150 club on the Bonneville Salt Flats and get a timing slip.  It is a small meet, friendly folks, and a lot of the same LSR cars you see at Speedweek. 
If you can stand a really long vacation, I'd say come to Speedweek to spectate, run the 150 club at WoS and stay for Cooks.  :-D
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 2Loose

• New folks
« Reply #2630 on: March 22, 2013, 02:03:06 PM »
Oh man, that would be the best trip ever!

Have had the car to 125 mph, it was stable at that speed, but as it sits so high, I worry about the aerodynamics under the car at any higher speed, 150 scares me, it might really get unstable!  The chassis/roll cage is NHRA certified to 8.50 seconds.  It definitely has the power with that blown Olds 425, and with the right gearing it would probably be capable of it, but I doubt I'd give it a try, I like the car too much to take that chance....
At least until I know more about what I'm doing, at those speeds I have absolutely no experience....
I did 150 once in a new '93 Camaro 6 speed going downhill on a section of I5 in Oregon when there was no traffic, slowing back down 90 felt like I was walking!  The cops would have had a field day if they'd seen me!
Laters....
Willy
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 02:06:36 PM by 2Loose »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2631 on: March 22, 2013, 07:34:53 PM »
Please take this comment as me trying to be helpful to you - and all of the other folks that report how fast they've gone.  I don't doubt you one bit -- 'cause I've gone fast, too, sometimes - when I'm not on the course.  But -- was that high speed indicated by the speedometer on the car?  If so -- well, speedos are known to lie quite a bit, especially in the upper range.

Next time you're going out for a fast zooming time - carry your GPS and set it to indicate not only speed but also highest speed attained.  Most of them will do that, and then you'll have a better idea of how fast you went.  You'll be able to have some better bragging rights than the other guys at the shop or the drive-in -- 'cause you've made the effort to get an accurate speed reading.  If someone continues to brag and says that "My speedometer is dead nuts on" -- offer him the GPS and see what it says when he gets back (assuming he does).  I betcha it won't be nearly as fast as he said. :evil:

A GPS isn't the best way to measure speed, since some of them don't refresh fast enough to catch a short-term spike in speed, for instance.  But still - you'll get a much better reading of speed with one.

And finally - no, I don't suggest top-ending any vehicle on the streets and roads.  It's not nearly as safe as seeing how fast you can go - on a race track.  On roads you've got the possibility of other vehicles, critters (like a deer or even a moose), bumpy roads, and so on.  Stick to the track, okay?  And there you'll get the most accurate timing of all, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SteveM

« Reply #2632 on: March 24, 2013, 05:40:57 PM »
Hello,

My name is Gary. I am into hot rods and racing as all of you are. Right now I drag race but am wanting to get into LSR. I am looking at possibly getting an S10 that is for sale on the forum right now, and if I don't I will start building something in the near(ish) future. I am looking forward to learning a lot and getting ideas for my project.

Looking forward to meeting you guys,

Gary

Gary is cool.  He did the machine work on my diesel engine.  He also has LSR fever, and I suspect he's going to have a Bonneville ready vehicle in the near future.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #2633 on: March 26, 2013, 04:15:28 PM »
Hi guys, my name is Graham.

I currently have a family with kiddos, so funds are tight and am limited to "functional" speed and power, something the entire family can fit in.
I just sold my 500hp 4g63 swapped 89 plymouth colt and am putting those funds into a 73 chrysler town and country wagon with a cummins 12v.
i am shooting for 600ish hp, comfortable cruise with ice cold a/c and 25+ mpg.

I was bit by the speed bug about 6 years ago when i attended my first texas mile. However, getting the funds together for safety equipment and running has been hard. So i have not been able to participate yet.

My brother and I are currently in "dream up" mode about a 71-72 buick riviera with a p pumped 24 cummins and a 200+ mph dream on salt. We figure we may see seat time sometime in the next ten years or so. we are still looking for a clean car that is not beat to death or rusted apart for a great price. we plan on building every aspect of it (except for injection pump work and maybe a trans rebuild etc..) we know nothing will happen over night, and once one of us gets a shop, progress will actually be made.

I love this forum and the knowledge here. Thanks for keeping it going guys. I hope i can contribute as well.

Offline dw230

« Reply #2634 on: March 26, 2013, 05:43:05 PM »
Standby for the butt chewing because you didn't put your location in.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2635 on: March 26, 2013, 06:18:29 PM »
I wonder if we've got a smiley icon that stands for/looks like a butt chewer. . . :roll:  Anyway, Graham, Dan is right -- we like to have Forum members put their location into the Profile back on your registration page.  If you can't figure it out -- let me know where you live and I'll insert - - something.  It might put you in my choice of towns, though, such as Mucous, Montana or Dingleberry Delaware. . . :evil:

Whatever -- welcome to the Forum.  I hope you have as much of a good time as the rest of us think we do.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #2636 on: March 26, 2013, 08:32:58 PM »
What! --- another non location post ...

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2637 on: March 26, 2013, 10:12:45 PM »
SSS, my guess is south Texas... based on the importance of ice cold air... lived in San Antonio for 12 years... ice cold air is important.... kinda like heat in the UP  :-o
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2638 on: March 26, 2013, 10:32:28 PM »
Standby for the butt chewing because you didn't put your location in.

DW

Don't see yours on the location either. :cheers: :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #2639 on: March 26, 2013, 11:40:29 PM »
SSS, my guess is south Texas... based on the importance of ice cold air... lived in San Antonio for 12 years... ice cold air is important.... kinda like heat in the UP 

Close.
Just north of ft worth. Tiny town by the name of alvord.
Ill get it into profile asap