Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267230 times)

Offline redskin

• New folks
  • Lurking since 2010
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2595 on: February 28, 2013, 05:03:18 PM »
My honeymoon was the motorcycle 1/2 mile flat track races in Columbus, OH and Nancy's still my main pit crew member!  :cheers:

Sounds like you're on a winner there mate!

Just remember the two most important words in a married mans vocabulary are YES DEAR!! 8-)

Cheers boys  :cheers:

Kev
Fly in, Fly out, Fix race car, Fly back in.
2 weeks Diesel mechanic, 1 week Suzuki mechanic

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #2596 on: February 28, 2013, 08:10:36 PM »
41 years this Aug.took my wife for honeymoon at Bonneville. Towed out from Mass in three days. Camped in the Wendover dump along with several other racers.Went to Wells mid week for showers. Towed home in three days.(2600 miles) Still married.

Offline DND

« Reply #2597 on: March 01, 2013, 01:51:33 PM »
Hi Bearing

What did you run at the salt 41 yrs ago?

Don

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #2598 on: March 01, 2013, 08:28:46 PM »
X/L with 296 Flathead. Still have it. Building turbo 2.3L Ford powered dragster style lakester now. Hope to take to Loring this summer

Offline DND

« Reply #2599 on: March 02, 2013, 01:20:24 AM »
Do you have any pics of the old & new one?

Offline 100e duncan

• New folks
« Reply #2600 on: March 10, 2013, 03:06:19 PM »
hi people my names duncan, i live in scotland but i am from london. i am into dragracing etc but i seem to have and itch to scratch and that itch is called bonneville so i am beginning to formulate a plan to build a car and come over to the states and run the salt i hope to do this within a ten year period so five years to build the car and five years to save for the trip.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #2601 on: March 10, 2013, 05:12:40 PM »
Duncan, Welcome. Every one of us has had a time table ... Get started and you will race on the greatest course in the world.  The Bonneville Salt Flats,

Joe

Offline unobtainium

« Reply #2602 on: March 11, 2013, 12:55:43 PM »
Hello,

Name is Chris, been browsing here for months getting ready for some work on a car headed for big speed. Figured I'd join up, and learn even more!
I'm a welder by trade, and metals geek by choice. I've jumped around a lot trying to learn what I can from the various aspects of welding and fabrication. Did industry stuff for more than 10 years, then got into Instructing for 5 years, all the while working on cars, and bikes, and boats,etc. I do lots of welding now, from Oilfield stuff to race cars, to car show stands,etc.
I'm reading a variety of fantastic builds on here, very impressed so far with the safety end of things. There are an alarming number of people who view safety as a real burden to racing.
I'll chime in when I can.
Cheers

Offline TwinSpin

« Reply #2603 on: March 11, 2013, 01:29:15 PM »
Hello Chris - -

Welcome to this forum. I am learning that more and more Canadians love the same racecar stuff that I do. This forum has a lot to offer as a resource of people with great experiences. I'm sure you too can check in with some of your know how from time to time. If you are going to do a build, we would like to follow along, eh.

I went snow skiing in Calgary in 1988, a month before the Olympics. Great trip.

Bill

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2604 on: March 11, 2013, 01:47:34 PM »
Chris, what part of Alberta? There's a really active contingent of Bonneville racers in the Calgary area.

Pete

Offline unobtainium

« Reply #2605 on: March 11, 2013, 01:52:02 PM »
Hello Chris - -

Welcome to this forum. I am learning that more and more Canadians love the same racecar stuff that I do. This forum has a lot to offer as a resource of people with great experiences. I'm sure you too can check in with some of your know how from time to time. If you are going to do a build, we would like to follow along, eh.

I went snow skiing in Calgary in 1988, a month before the Olympics. Great trip.

Bill

Bill, thanks. I go to the Silver State Classic annually with a friend, and we are seeing more and more Canadians down there.
I even went for some training and vacation in your neck of the woods, Albany, and the surrounding area. Beautiful to say the least. Crater Lake, the coast, all so nice. Looking forward to going back.
I can't imagine Calgary back then, must have been a lot of buzz over the Olympics.
I built this harness bar for our effort last year, now we are moving on to a roll bar this year to go faster. Got a bunch of good feeed back from the racers down there on the design, but nobody guessed the material at first glance. Most were surprised!

I'll certainly post pics when I'm asking questions from the group.
Pete,
I'm just outside Calgary, in a small town called Langdon. I wasn't aware there was a good group local, that will be great if I can get out and see some of these cars with my own eyes!
Cheers
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:54:38 PM by unobtainium »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2606 on: March 11, 2013, 01:52:50 PM »
Bill, for the first week of the Olympics in Calgary I was in Florida at a race promotors conference and watching a bit of the Speedweeks activity. In the mornings I was scraping the ice off the windshield of my rental car while in the evenings I watched pictures on the TV of the snow melting off Mount Allen, the Olympic ski run mountain west of Calgary.  :roll: :roll: :-D

Pete

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2607 on: March 11, 2013, 02:03:01 PM »
Chris, take a look at this link. All but the Mormon Missile are local area vehicles and the Missile is up here because it's being upgraded in a local shop. A Calgarian, Curtis Halvorson, holds the present record that the Missile holds.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,12403.0.html

There's at least a couple more cars and bikes missed the show because they're in various states of revision.

Pete

Offline unobtainium

« Reply #2608 on: March 11, 2013, 02:15:39 PM »
Chris, take a look at this link. All but the Mormon Missile are local area vehicles and the Missile is up here because it's being upgraded in a local shop. A Calgarian, Curtis Halvorson, holds the present record that the Missile holds.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,12403.0.html

There's at least a couple more cars and bikes missed the show because they're in various states of revision.

Pete

Impressive for sure. Now I'm even more upset I missed the show. I usually go, but I was in Texas for business. Missed my neighbor putting in his class-winning bike too. It was a brilliant purple with 2 murals on it. He did an amazing job on it. I will for sure be looking into this group. Derek sure does nice work, that bike looks amazing!

Offline TwinSpin

« Reply #2609 on: March 11, 2013, 03:55:20 PM »
Peter Jack - - "for the first week of the Olympics in Calgary, I was in Florida. . . scraping the ice off my windshield"

In 1988, During the Winter Olympics, I did live in Florida (40 years). I always told my out-of-state friends it is crazy to work in Florida during the Winter months. You drive to work in the morning with the heater on and drive home after work with the air conditioner on. Winters were great, but the Summers, June to October, got to be way too hot for old me. Plus, I have learned to stay OUT of the sun. So, last year I moved to Oregon, a good balance. Plus, I'm closer to Bonneville and that Canadian border  :-D

Sometime, I'll tell you about my road trip from Florida to Vancouver, BC on my BMW motorcycle. A high light of my travels.

Bill