Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267644 times)

Offline mrproffitt

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2520 on: January 07, 2013, 08:28:37 PM »
Thanks Slim, I have looked at the 130-150mph classes, but thats no fun. My last trike with a twist throttle 450 hp V8 would run 150 mph in 13 seconds and I wanted twice as much. I'm woundering what I'd have to do for the SCTA to make a class for a trike. V8 trikes are common now days. They allow rocket cars, jet cars, rocket bikes, but no trikes? I will run it on the salt, one way or another. Also looking at the Texas mile and NC mile too.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2521 on: January 07, 2013, 08:45:59 PM »
SCTA dropped the trike class years ago because of no interest, there are over 1850 motorcycle classes now and the chance of adding one more is
99.999% chance it ain't gonna happen.I doubt the time only class won't allow as well.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline mrproffitt

• New folks
« Reply #2522 on: January 07, 2013, 09:07:47 PM »
Well Glen, I may be building the one type of machine that no one will allow, but after looking at the records, I already know that my machine will out run almost all of them if I can hold on to the raw power. My last trike only weighed 940 lbs and it ran out from under me twice rolling at 60mph when I hit the back of the throttle. I do not understand why it could not fit the unlimited class as it will be a street legal trike. If I had a BOSS HOSS, what class would that fit into???? If I have to, I'll buy and modify one to reach my goal.

By the way Glen, my last trike was not allowed to compete in drag racing either. Car drivers complained that I had a 3rd their weight, and the Bike riders complained I had twice the traction and 4 times the power. So I guess I may not be able to compete against nothing (no one could touch my last one anyway), even the clock which should have no complaints. 1850 motorcycle classes and not one that a trike will fit into??? :? :x

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2523 on: January 07, 2013, 09:36:59 PM »
The Boss Hoss isn't allowed to run in SCTA and no thrust vehicles are allowed under SCTA rules either. I think you're probably looking at FIA rules and the Cook Shootout for an event or maybe BUB.

Pete

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2524 on: January 07, 2013, 09:40:09 PM »
Mr. P, SCTA/USFRA does not allow jet bikes or rocket bikes -- for that matter, nothing that's thrust propelled.  Turbines geared to the driveline -- yes, but pure thrust -- no.

Second -- weight is your friend at Bonneville.  Lightweight usually means wheelspin.  It seems that while the aerodynamic resistance increases exponentially with your speed -- your traction doesn't change, and at some point aero restriction exceeds the amount of horsepower you can put to the ground -- wheelspin results.  Pin the throttle -- and your drive tires go immediately to spin mode.  You don't gain speed, you gain tire heat, which, in turn, gains you blisters on the tires or chunks coming off the tires, which, further in turn, lead to tires going bad and you slowing -- or stopping in dramatic fashion.  If you need to run where traction is better - you need to run at one of the venues that runs on regular ol' pavement.  That sends you back to ECTA, LTA, Texas Mile, etc -- and NOT the salt.

As for why the trike wouldn't fit in the unlimited class is plain -- the rules don't allow such vehicles, unlimited or whatever.  Check with the various committee chairs, listend in the SCTA rulebook, and see if they can help you find a way to run.  I will add that USFRA will now and then figure out a way for an otherwise non-rule compliant vehicle to make a run on the salt, so maybe you should get in touch with Jim Burkdoll.  He's their race director and club president, I do believe.  Best wishes and good luck.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2525 on: January 07, 2013, 10:00:38 PM »
Well Glen, I may be building the one type of machine that no one will allow, but after looking at the records, I already know that my machine will out run almost all of them if I can hold on to the raw power.
:-o  :-o  :-o  :-o
Mr. P, if you want to run against the bikes and their records, then use a bike motor.  Boss Hoss is a car motor and cannot run in a Bike for a record.  
Want to run a big car motor then build that big boy with 4 wheels to Lakester rules... then you can outrun all the other open wheel vehicles.  Oh, that 250 won't hold up too well, you'll need 337 or so with that blown 350 motor...  Unless you try a smaller motor... I've been 245+ in ours with 84ci and turbo.  

So you realize we are not overly impressed yet?  :roll:

If you want to Land Speed race on the salt you probably can do that at the Bub or Cooks Shootout in the Fim cyclecar class.  But I think all FIM bikes are limited to 3000 cc... 183 ci.  So no 350 chevy motor there either.   Don't expect a "made just for me to set a record" class, you will have to find one that is there.  
Pick a class and come out racing, you are welcome to challenge any of the standing records with a like classed vehicle.  That's apples to apples, not apples to strawberries...

edit, did a little search, your Blown 350 has to go over 250 in anything but a brick on wheels (roadster or street roadster)...

Talk is cheap...  takes money to buy whisky
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 10:11:38 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline mrproffitt

• New folks
« Reply #2526 on: January 07, 2013, 10:53:08 PM »
Stainless1 you may like my trike in the end as it will be an all stainless 4" tube frame.
I'm not looking for 322 or 377 mph, I cant hang on to it on an open (naked) style cycle and I surely dont want a class made just for me. Hi boys, low boys, hybusas, two wheels or four. I like three and a big motor and I dont want to impress you. But I also know that the class(es) that you all run in did not exist once apon a time either untill someone added it just like the turbine cars.

I am hoping to get something back from BUB on my machine.

I started building my first trike because I love hotrods and motorcycles and wanted the best of both. I sold my electra glide to start the first one and promised my wife that I would not build anymore hotrods when we bought our new challenger rt a few months ago. I have always wanted to run on the salt and was really hoping that this machine would get me on it. I was working in Elko in 08 and missed the races by one week, but I did get some salt and a pic of me in front of the sign. Thats as close as Ive been able to get. There must be a way to run it on the salt and Im looking for that another way. Hopefully the run what you brung will do it if nothing else. But I still need info on what the trike will need to clear tech inspection as it combines a car motor and a motorcycle. I already plan to use most of the car rules,such as lug nuts and rims, fuel lines, scatter sheilds,etc along with cycle rules on the handle bars and controls. I really want to claim the fastest naked motorcycle record, thats it. Me flying in the wind like a flag holding on to the handle bars with my hair on fire.

Offline mrproffitt

• New folks
« Reply #2527 on: January 07, 2013, 10:58:47 PM »
So there is a class for a turbine powered bike (Y2K bike) but not a V8 powered one????
Mr. P, SCTA/USFRA does not allow jet bikes or rocket bikes -- for that matter, nothing that's thrust propelled.  Turbines geared to the driveline -- yes, but pure thrust -- no.

Second -- weight is your friend at Bonneville.  Lightweight usually means wheelspin.  It seems that while the aerodynamic resistance increases exponentially with your speed -- your traction doesn't change, and at some point aero restriction exceeds the amount of horsepower you can put to the ground -- wheelspin results.  Pin the throttle -- and your drive tires go immediately to spin mode.  You don't gain speed, you gain tire heat, which, in turn, gains you blisters on the tires or chunks coming off the tires, which, further in turn, lead to tires going bad and you slowing -- or stopping in dramatic fashion.  If you need to run where traction is better - you need to run at one of the venues that runs on regular ol' pavement.  That sends you back to ECTA, LTA, Texas Mile, etc -- and NOT the salt.

As for why the trike wouldn't fit in the unlimited class is plain -- the rules don't allow such vehicles, unlimited or whatever.  Check with the various committee chairs, listend in the SCTA rulebook, and see if they can help you find a way to run.  I will add that USFRA will now and then figure out a way for an otherwise non-rule compliant vehicle to make a run on the salt, so maybe you should get in touch with Jim Burkdoll.  He's their race director and club president, I do believe.  Best wishes and good luck.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #2528 on: January 07, 2013, 11:45:50 PM »
Steam, Turbine and Electric run in the same omega class for bikes.  Wheel driven turbines in cars have been racing on the salt since the 70s. 

Your best bet is probably World of Speed run by the USFRA, if your bike meets all the safety requirements for the speed you think you will run, 250MPH, then they might let you run with a speed limit for Time Only.

Good luck with your project
Stainless

GrizzlyHippo

« Reply #2529 on: January 08, 2013, 07:11:02 AM »
Hi, my name is Tom.

I am working with a friend who runs a Ducati shop (Louigi Moto) in the UK to prepare a couple of bikes with a view to coming to Bonneville in 2014. I know nothing yet, this is the beginning of the adventure so I will now set about reading the forum and garnering as much information as I can. I'm not sure which week to aim for - maybe BUB week would suit us better as we're not aiming for a record, just to participate and go as fast as we can.

I need to make contact with people prior to coming out this year on a recce. I need to know everything from practicalities of shipping from the UK through to where to buy food and whether a motorhome would be a good idea etc. etc.

Anyhow, here I am. It's good to be here.

Cheers,
Tom

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #2530 on: January 08, 2013, 09:15:05 AM »
Okay, Tom -- you're in for it now.  Welcome to the Forum.  Before any of us goes farther -- would you be so kind as to go to your Profile in the registration pages and fill in "location"?  While we can see from your post that you're somewhere in the UK -- if you put city/country (or whatever) in the Profile we'll be reminded each time you post - and that'll make it easier for al to know where you are.

Other than that -- lots of information for a first-timer at Bonneville will be forthcoming.  I've gotta go put some wood on the fire (to keep the house warm today), but I'll be back later - and, I'm sure, so will others be.

Best -
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

GrizzlyHippo

« Reply #2531 on: January 08, 2013, 10:19:32 AM »
Hi Jon,

OK, profile updated. Also a little more basic information - we have built 2x Ducati 749R / RS race bikes. We are using them on circuits this year but want to bring them to the salt flats in 2014. They are normally aspirated 749cc engines, standards frames... not sure what class they go in yet, but that's my first port of call to start looking at rule books and class entries. We intend to come out for a long weekend recce later this year.

Cheers,
Tom

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #2532 on: January 08, 2013, 10:55:20 AM »
Hi Jon,

OK, profile updated. Also a little more basic information - we have built 2x Ducati 749R / RS race bikes. We are using them on circuits this year but want to bring them to the salt flats in 2014. They are normally aspirated 749cc engines, standards frames... not sure what class they go in yet, but that's my first port of call to start looking at rule books and class entries. We intend to come out for a long weekend recce later this year.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom, if they are factory "works" racers then they land in Special Construction... A class, gas or fuel, partially streamlined if they have a fairing.  If they are stock everyday Duc frames, then Modified.  Order a couple of rulebooks, both of you need to read them several times. 
If you like car and bike variety, then attend Speedweek, if you are bike only types, then hit the Bub.
Stainless

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #2533 on: January 08, 2013, 11:02:51 AM »
I'll go on from where Stainless ended.  If the bikes were built from standard (off the showroom floor) production bikes (at least 500 made, available to the general public) -- then they MIGHT fit into production class.  But - and it's a big BUT - production class allows for no visible modifications.  Not even a different muffler or headers, for instance, or stainless steel brake lines instead of factory rubber lines - and on and on.  Few modifications are required in production - steering stabiliser, tethered kill switch, metal chain guard, etc (see the rule book for exact details).

Now that you know the production class calls for showroom-identical appearance - whatever can't be seen is okay.  Displacement increase?  Fine, 'cause you can't see bore and stroke from outside.  Head work?  Dandy.  Special shocks?  NOPE! 

Now you've got it - and feel free to ask more questions.  Read the rulebook as soon as you can - and you'll have not only fewer questions for us but will better be able to understand what suggestions are made here.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

GrizzlyHippo

« Reply #2534 on: January 08, 2013, 11:06:37 AM »
Hi Stainless, thanks for the reply.

The bikes are not factory racers. They are standard road bikes that have been modified. To bore you - they both started life as standard 749S road bikes, have had R engines, forks, yokes, race exhausts and swingarms fitted plus race bodywork and may, for Bonneville, have RS cams fitted. So, to answer Jon, no, definitely not showroom appearance production bikes.

Yep, I want to order some rule books. Can you give me links to where to order them - hopefully PDFs that I can get straight away? Then I'll be quiet for a while while I digest them.

Cheers,
Tom