Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267248 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2505 on: December 27, 2012, 02:10:58 PM »
Tell us (very plural) more about it and I bet we can help.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline LandSpeed-DSM

• New folks
« Reply #2506 on: December 27, 2012, 05:46:24 PM »

The car is a 1992 Eclipse GST, FWD 5-speed manual. Engine and transmission are as they were originally configured, save internal components. Fuel system, intake/exhaust have been extensively modified. The car is outfitted with a 3 nozzle water injection system. One pre-turbo, one post-turbo and another in the throttle body elbow.

Part of my concern about classification is due to a few tweaks that have previously been made to the body, and the chassis forward of the shocktowers.

The exhaust and wastegates exiting through the hood at the moment, and I had to modify the radiator support for mounting a surge tank and intercooler piping.. Additionally, there are two small diffusers/ports in the top of the rear bumper cover to relieve pressure. The car also came from the factory with a sun-roof.

I have read in a (now out of date) SCTA rule book that we are not to close up gaps, add undertrays, wheel-well vents, etc. I am waiting on the new book to bring myself up to date.

Of the couple DSMs (Eclipse/Talon/Laser)I have come across that run at ECTA/SCTA/LTA events they seem to fall into PS/ and BGT/

G/PS record stands at 227.xxx mph, G/BGT is 211.xxx so I figure it would be best to build a car that can tech to 230 in the event that is how I am categorized.

Now for the unorthodox bit.. the car needs to be able to accommodate a passenger seat. (remove-able) So I need to find a way to have a cage built that will work with the Full containment driver's seat, including the 2" limited head movement as well as allow for a second seat. This car sees limited street duty, and part of that includes being driven to and from the nearby drag strips and a half-mile shootout event at an airport about 50 miles away.

This I'm sure sounds a bit silly but, part of the quest for me as a personal engineering challenge is to build a car that can take myself and a friend out for lunch for example. Then change tires, pull the passenger seat, arm the fire suppression and don the suit to make a full bore pass at any ECTA/SCTA track. The Ohio Mile being the closest to me.

If anyone has a recommendation for a cage/chassis guy, I'm all ears.

Personal goals for the car are 225mph on pavement, and eventually 200mph on the salt.

Please let me know what other pertinent details I can provide.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:50:02 PM by LandSpeed-DSM »
Chris

HX52 fed 2.0L on E85/Water Injection

"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora" - Summa Totius Logicae

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #2507 on: December 27, 2012, 06:17:13 PM »
Talk to Joe Timney, Deleware Chassis Works.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline DSGcoupe

• New folks
« Reply #2508 on: December 28, 2012, 02:59:37 AM »
DSG, you win the prize for today.  You get our thanks -- for filling in your location when you set up the profile on the registration page.  Way too many folks don't and then Glen and I and others have to whine and moan and groan to try to get the new guy to fill it in.  Thanks -- and, by the way, welcome to the Forum.  It's good to have you here with us.

No problem slim.  Glad to be here!

Offline muroc

• New folks
« Reply #2509 on: December 31, 2012, 04:49:13 AM »
Hi All,

Im a life long salt flats fan, have been since the age of 15 when I got given a book on the subject (im now 42) I have been lucky enough to be involved racing at Boneville 6 times and 1 time at Maxton even though Im from the Uk............

Have got my licence upto "c" category.................

Would love to have my own car to race out there one day, bit difficult with the logistics from the UK though!

Good to be here!!

Dan

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2510 on: December 31, 2012, 08:35:19 AM »
Howdy, Dan.  Welcome - and with that welcome you get the standard request - to please go back to your profile on the registration page and enter your location.  That way we'll know, on each post you make, where you're from.  It makes it easier for all of us to have that information available to see each time we see something from you.  Thanks - and once again, welcome to the Forum.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline LandSpeed-DSM

• New folks
« Reply #2511 on: January 02, 2013, 03:41:07 PM »
Talk to Joe Timney, Deleware Chassis Works.

Thank you!
Chris

Offline LandSpeed-DSM

• New folks
« Reply #2512 on: January 02, 2013, 03:42:15 PM »

Anything further I can provide that may shed some light on which class I fit best before getting all the way out to an event?
Chris

Offline CTX-SLPR

« Reply #2513 on: January 05, 2013, 09:57:01 PM »
Still confused - whats new?

A '81 with an engine swap/turbo would run in /CBGC. Production Supercharged and Classic Production Supercharged rules are the same re: OEM engine availabilty. New for 2013 is the F,G,H, I engine classes in the Classic Category.

DW
I'm a bit confused now.  My 2012 rulebook says CPS is C, D, and E motors and this is what I found in the update pdf:
5.C CLASSIC CATEGORY
Add G, H, I & J engine classes to body classes /CBFALT, /CFALT, /CBGALT, /CGALT, /CBGC, /CGC, /CPROD
No mention of CPS or F motors.  Is there an F/CPS?
Central TEXAS Sleeper
USAF Physicist

1964 Buick Riviera T-type (4.1L Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 EFI system)

ROA# 9790

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2514 on: January 05, 2013, 10:27:42 PM »
The way I read it you may have to be one of those foreigners to run F in classic class anything... or not... looks to me like F is not a classic production supercharged choice... Must want to keep you in the same inch size that vehicles were produced.  Damn Rules can be so contrary sometimes  :|
But hey, lets go racing anyway  :cheers:

Want to build whatever you want?:  Special Construction... Lakesters and Streamliners .... innovation is almost unlimited but somewhat encouraged  :|  or something like that. 

While not as good a Dragons Milk, Founders Stout and Porter are pretty tasty.   OK, I may stop posting and keep tasting....  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline CTX-SLPR

« Reply #2515 on: January 06, 2013, 09:40:04 AM »
Seems odd they would exclude the Ford 2.3L I4 turbo but I guess it opens the door for the SAAB 2.3t and the 911 in the same class.
Central TEXAS Sleeper
USAF Physicist

1964 Buick Riviera T-type (4.1L Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 EFI system)

ROA# 9790

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2516 on: January 06, 2013, 12:21:10 PM »
So you solve running your 79-81 2.3 turbo Ford by joining the SCTA, then submitting a rule change request to add F motors to that class. 
Of course it might be hard to find one from that era since they had major reliability problems that they squared away in later year models.  Must use the original year motor to qualify for the class.

There's them Damn rules again... uncooperative at best....  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #2517 on: January 06, 2013, 01:05:29 PM »
"...reliability problems..."  (the major problem was that the turbo oil drain was too small)
1980 Fairmont, 1979-81 Mustangs:

OEM block is all that's required right?  Any carb, any turbo, right? 

JD Laramee ran 8.23/160 at Rockingham with a turbo blow-through-carburated Pinto April 2011 and he builds very powerful, very reliable (and very expensive) roundy-round Ford 2.3s for a living.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline mrproffitt

• New folks
« Reply #2518 on: January 07, 2013, 07:52:40 PM »
Hello to everyone, I am building a trike that I want to run on the salt when I get it built. I'm having a hard time finding a class that it can be placed in or any tech info that I may need as I am at the point of building the frame. The trike will be powered by a small block chevy in the 300-350 cid range with twin turbos and hopefully around 1000hp. I'm calling it "White Noise" I have a site for it and would love any feedback. www.k-jentrikes.com

I have contacted Matt Shuss with the SCTA and found out that they have no class for trikes (only sidecars) and do not allow non motorcycle engines. I have also contacted the USFRA and BUB for info too. BUB has a run-whatcha-brung class, but I dont think that will get me in the record books.

I finished building my first trike in 05. It had a 383 stroker with 450hp "Demos". It was capable of 230+  mph and have out run several Hybusas with it. After selling it in 08, and searching for two years to find it, my wife told me that I should build another one. So this time I'm fixing all the mistakes from the first one and building it for 250+ mph and hopefully my name in the books.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2519 on: January 07, 2013, 08:18:13 PM »
Welcome, Mr. P, to the Forum.  We all enjoy seeing what "the other guy" is doing, and for the most part -- we'll do our best to help you pursue your dreams and goals.

But -- as you've already found, a three-wheeler doesn't fit in the SCTA rules -- except for a sidecar. And a sidecar must have front and rear wheel in line - making a single track - with the outrigger wheel being the third.  No three tire-track vehicles.  And as for asking USFRA -- they use the same rulebook as SCTA so their records and rules are interchangeable.  in other words -- you won't be allowed a three-wheeler under their auspices, either.  Although -- you might be able to run it in the 130 or 150 (mph) club events, but then you're restricted to a top speed of 139.999 or 159.999, respectively.  You won't get paperwork showing you went well over 200 with them.

Bub?  I don't know the AMA rules well at all, so don't know their rules regarding a three-wheeler like you're proposing.  But -- BUT - at Bub's you can run on FIM rules (instead of AMA), and FIM may well have room for a three wheeled vehicle running a big engine that doesn't come from a motorcycle.  Check out FIM, which you can find online.  Their rule structure is presented in a manner that's different from what I'm used to with SCTA - so, if you've seen the SCTA book -- be ready for some heavy introspection while you figure out what's what.

But be that as it may -- once again, welcome to the Forum.  Have fun while you're here, okay?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com