Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267109 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2490 on: December 20, 2012, 02:49:29 PM »
Now I'm (partially) getting it -- Classic!  Was the turbo available in 1981?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline CTX-SLPR

« Reply #2491 on: December 20, 2012, 09:06:07 PM »
Turbo6's were available in 1979-1985 Rivieras, 1978-1980 LeSabre, 1979-1980 Century, and 1978-1987 Regal under a varity of different names as well as the 1980 and 1981 Monte Carlos as an option.  All were draw through with a 2 or 4bbl carb on a 3.8L V6. 

Reason I pick a 1981 is the 81 Regal is the same body style as the later cars and more importantly Buick won the NASCAR manufacturers trophy in 81 an 82 because the Regal was so much slippier than the competative G-bodies.  It was of course Chevy engined but still those victories lead to the Grand National package to commemorate the wins.
Central TEXAS Sleeper
USAF Physicist

1964 Buick Riviera T-type (4.1L Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 EFI system)

ROA# 9790

Offline wldpilot

• New folks
« Reply #2492 on: December 21, 2012, 09:38:16 AM »
Hello!  I've been collecting bits and odds for a number of years in an attempt to one day be able to build a motorcycle to run at Bonneville.  That day is finally upon me.  I have a few tech questions.  Once that is out of the way i hope to make enough progress to throw up some pictures and a story or two.

Thanks.

Leighton from Illinois.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #2493 on: December 21, 2012, 10:16:54 AM »
Leighton,

Where in Illinois are you located?

Joe

Offline wldpilot

• New folks
« Reply #2494 on: December 21, 2012, 02:17:43 PM »
Joe, I'm in the Lasalle/Peru area, where I-80 and I-39 intersect.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2495 on: December 21, 2012, 03:43:28 PM »
Howsabout you do this:  Put your location -- city & state is enough --  in the Profile of the registration form you filled in when joining the forum.  That way every time you post we'll know about where you are.  Thanks.

Jon a/k/a SSS
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wldpilot

• New folks
« Reply #2496 on: December 21, 2012, 04:33:21 PM »
Will do.  Thanks for the pointer, SSS.

Offline Lem

• New folks
« Reply #2497 on: December 22, 2012, 12:51:50 PM »
Hello everyone.

I have been around racing of one sort or another for a long time.  I never did much with the LSR guys, was more involved in knocking over cones or breaking stuff in SCORE events.  I built turbo systems in the 1970's, and high performance aircraft in the 1980's.

It is time to learn more about LSR, and in particular Bonneville. A younger friend has been considering a motorcycle on the salt, and has been asking me engine questions I simply can't answer.

Thanks in advance.

Lem

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #2498 on: December 22, 2012, 06:57:34 PM »
Lem - you've foiund a good way to learn about Bonneville in particular - and land speed racing in general.  Welcome to the Forum.  As for your buddy that wants to race a bike at Bville and has engine questions - you'll find about a zillion opinions on what will work and what won't - but ignore 'em all, for the most part, and do whatever you think is right.  At worst you'll break a bunch of parts - but you'll learn a whole heck of a lot in the process.  Oh, yeah -- get a rulebook.  Get two or three.  Get one for your buddy, too.

We look forward to seeing you on the salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Lem

• New folks
« Reply #2499 on: December 23, 2012, 11:23:59 PM »
Thanks Slim

I have a couple of books on order.  Hopefully I will see them after the holidays.

I have broken enough parts over the decades to make the scrap guy rich...  LOL   During the turbo years I melted a few pistons.

Offline Turbofan

• New folks
  • Martin
« Reply #2500 on: December 26, 2012, 11:48:41 PM »
Lem what kind of motorcycle? 
"Live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this than some people do in a lifetime"... and on a bike as slow as mine, the mile does seem to take 5 minutes!

Offline DSGcoupe

• New folks
« Reply #2501 on: December 27, 2012, 09:20:03 AM »
Hello All,  I am a long time drag racer and my buddy and I have decided to shift more towards standing mile and eventually Bonneville.  Looking forward to learning a bit more and meeting new fellow enthusiasts.

Offline Gary Perkinson

« Reply #2502 on: December 27, 2012, 09:30:51 AM »
Hello All,  I am a long time drag racer and my buddy and I have decided to shift more towards standing mile and eventually Bonneville.  Looking forward to learning a bit more and meeting new fellow enthusiasts.

Welcome, DSG!
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #2503 on: December 27, 2012, 10:08:20 AM »
DSG, you win the prize for today.  You get our thanks -- for filling in your location when you set up the profile on the registration page.  Way too many folks don't and then Glen and I and others have to whine and moan and groan to try to get the new guy to fill it in.  Thanks -- and, by the way, welcome to the Forum.  It's good to have you here with us.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline LandSpeed-DSM

• New folks
« Reply #2504 on: December 27, 2012, 12:29:36 PM »
Morning Everyone,

LSR has been something of a lifelong fascination, and I'm looking to learn enough to get my little G-engine out to the salt after cutting my teeth for a few years on some of the shorter pavement courses first.

Curious to see what Category I would be placed in when it comes time to tech, not sure if it would be better fit for G/BGT or G/PS

I'd love to attain one of the hallowed hats in the next ~5 years.. budget, luck and time permitting.

Cheers,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 12:33:01 PM by LandSpeed-DSM »
Chris

HX52 fed 2.0L on E85/Water Injection

"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora" - Summa Totius Logicae