Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267277 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2430 on: November 14, 2012, 01:35:41 PM »
Howdy, Saul, and welcome to landracing.com's Forum.  I saw your name come through the "newbies" notifier a little while ago.  And I also noticed that you didn't enter your location.  We like it when you do that -- 'cause sometimes it turns out that there's a fellow racer not all that far away from you that could help out or bench race over coffee/beer or give you some background on the Bonneville experience.  You don't need to be really specific, but city and state is helpful.

Other than that -- I know of a couple of MMP racers out there, and I'd expect that you'll hear from one or more just by your having told your story.  Remember that this is a fun site - not the official SCTA site - so we'll give help and advice but not rule enforcement or serious stuff like that.

That's enough serious business for your first time on the Forum.  Welcome.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #2431 on: November 14, 2012, 01:48:05 PM »
Saul, Welcome to LR. You can get a lot of information on LR.com.
I have been going to the salt for 40 years and live in Denver, if you send me a PM we could get together and talk. :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline LS1 JEEP LS

• New folks
« Reply #2432 on: November 14, 2012, 01:51:44 PM »
Location Updated

I've been all over the SCTA site and if there is one thing I've learned it's Call and find out first before you build ANYTHING.

Thank you for the advice.

Thanks for the welcome. I'll be snooping/hunting around for the next few weeks on here and trying to see what others have experienced and how I can modify/work/build my rig to suit what I'd like best.

SL1000, Sent. Thanks

'91 Jeep Cherokee Crawler
'88 Jeep Comanche LS Attempt
'02 Chevy Cavalier, Caged Daily Driver

Offline Brammofan

• New folks
« Reply #2433 on: November 16, 2012, 10:49:51 AM »
Howdy from Kansas City, Missouri.
Aside from watching "The World's Fastest Indian" and thinking it was an amazing film, I have been drawn to the world of land speed racing because of my interest in electric motorcycles.  As my screen name indicates, I'm a fan of Brammo, a company in Oregon that manufactures electric motorcycles.  I am an owner of a Brammo Enertia that I ride to and from work daily.  Although the company hasn't dipped into the LSR world, several other electric motorcycle companies (and individuals) have (e.g. Killacycle/Killajoule). 

Anyway, I'm far away from any of the dry lake beds where the world records are set, but I'm interested in the sport and glad to find this great resource.

Offline superleggera

« Reply #2434 on: November 18, 2012, 09:26:10 PM »
Although the company hasn't dipped into the LSR world... 

Talk with them as they were looking for someone just a few weeks ago to run an independent effort for them possibly. 
- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2435 on: November 18, 2012, 09:37:42 PM »
Howdy from Kansas City, Missouri....

Anyway, I'm far away from any of the dry lake beds where the world records are set, but I'm interested in the sport and glad to find this great resource.

Most of us are far away, but we still go there to race.... know of at least one biker in your area... stop dreaming and start doing, 1250 miles isn't that  far.

Oh... welcome to the site.... :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #2436 on: November 18, 2012, 09:59:19 PM »
Most of us are far away, but we still go there to race.... know of at least one biker in your area... stop dreaming and start doing, 1250 miles isn't that  far.

As Stainless said, 1250 miles from the salt isnt that far, there are many folks from all over the world who crate or container their vehicles up and ship them here to the states. Dont let a little bit of geography get in the way of your dream.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #2437 on: November 19, 2012, 02:48:29 AM »

As Stainless said, 1250 miles from the salt isnt that far, there are many folks from all over the world who crate or container their vehicles up and ship them here to the states. Dont let a little bit of geography get in the way of your dream.

Yep
What he said
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline DonSkokie

• New folks
« Reply #2438 on: November 19, 2012, 04:03:47 PM »
Hello All,

Been lurking and reading for a while now and thought should introduce myself.
Most people call me Mick after a dirty Irishman. Living in Boise Idaho where I have a small hobby shop where I can work on multiple projects of my own.

I have a 1965 Rambler Marlin that I will probably run as Time Only. I want to have the "fastest" Rambler using the stock-ish Gen1 engine.
The Marlin is almost stripped with the exception of the fuel tank and axles. I plan on putting it on a rotisserie once I have one constructed.

Right now putting plans and designs to paper as I finish disassembling it and one of the motors.
Have an AMC 327 and 4 speed I'm trying to get out of California.

Might have to start one of those "slow" build threads.

Mick

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2439 on: November 19, 2012, 05:39:14 PM »
Howdy, Mick, and welcome to the forum.  First things first, please:  While you tell us in your post that you're in Boise, you didn't put that information in the "location" blank when you filled out the registration form.  That way your home town will be visible in each post you make, and that's a good thing because anyone that doesn't know where you are can find out.  And maybe that's another racer that's in your area and wants to visit your shop to give a hand or swap parts or - and or...  and who knows what else.

As for a "slow" build thread - hey, there are very few that are not slow threads, so don't you worry a bit about how long it takes you.  We've had racers building and then put things aside for a year or two and then pick up where they left off -- and other Forum members that were reading the thread  do about the same, asking about this and telling you how they'd do something -- just like you'd been gone for a few days.

Welcome, I say.

Jon a/k/a SSS
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #2440 on: November 19, 2012, 06:48:43 PM »
Howdy all! Name is Joe. Been itching to get a car built to run on the salt for a few years now, and I think my plan is finally coming to fruition!! I'm a full time auto tech in Western Colorado. Been into hotrods and kustom cars for most of my life, and I see land speed racing as just another facet of the auto culture I need to explore. Gonna try to build an XOGCC using an old Henry J and a 292 Chevy six. Wish me luck, and pardon me in advance for a lot of noob questions!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline DonSkokie

• New folks
« Reply #2441 on: November 19, 2012, 07:09:17 PM »
SSS,

Odd I thought I added location when I signed up. Went into profile and it pre-filled it when I hit "B". Anyways it is updated now and showing.

I understand the circular nature of some people's projects. I have initial drawing that has been sitting on drafting table for over two years. They get touched when I'm in the mood to edit them. One of these days that design will be finished and I will finished the drawing in full scale.

I have two automobile projects and they get worked on them as I get time, money and time.

Mick

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #2442 on: November 19, 2012, 07:41:52 PM »
DS or Mick --- Welcome.   There are a number of folks racing Nash Ramblers.  

Joe

Offline carlgustav

• New folks
« Reply #2443 on: November 23, 2012, 04:52:04 PM »
Hello,

A few weeks back I got a 'wild hair' to take my '07 VFR800 Honda to Bonneville and find out just how fast she'll go, stock.  I'm looking at the BUB/AMA event in Aug., in the RWB category  :-D.  So I joined this forum to get some info/insights.

I have no land speed attempt experience, but I do have a # of seasons of track days at nearby road race courses e.g. Barber Motorsports and 'little' Tally.  This is just a personal goal for me and I hope things work out that I can experience this event  :-).

So, I'll be lurking about, thanx ...

ACE

Offline ScottW.

• New folks
« Reply #2444 on: November 25, 2012, 01:42:27 AM »
Hello from Central Missouri,

I've been lurking about on the sight for a little while checking on the builds, tech info, experiences, etc., and have to say what a great place!  Its refreshing to see a group of people who truly love their sport and encourage others to participate, not simply set on the sidelines as spectators.  In my lifetime I've been involved in different levels of weekend warrior motorsports, as well as the construction of streetrods and customs.  But after seeing the builds on this sight, and admiring the level of construction, fabrication, and expertise, the thought of actually participating on the Salt Flats, or any other timed speed event seemed like a foreign language.  Thats when I learned about the possibility of focusing on a 130 mph or 150 mph timed event and being able to participate at a beginner's level at a historical venue that is sure to awe and impress!  And what a bonus to be able to admire the craftmanship, ingenuity, and effort of those who are devoted to besting records at the same time.

That being said I believe I will begin efforts to take a pile of parts I have collected and begin a personal journey to Bonneville.  I can't afford several purpose built hotrods, so I believe I will have to target my parts and resources into a street legal vehicle that will allow me to enjoy cruise nights, participate in HAMB drags, and with some part changes, attempts at the 130 mph or 150 mph clubs. 

I have a 1930 Ford coupe body with a 3" chop, a boxed 1933 Ford frame thats a little messy but fixable, 9 inch Bronco rear, I-beam and round tube axles, disc and drum brake setups, SBC BBC or 250-6 available, and other odds and ends.  Not a lot I know but a start I think.  I may start a build thread if thats acceptable.  I would love to have a venue for others to provide input, advice, and get to know some LSR's in the area and beyond.  It won't be quick, time and funds are limited, but I can't imagine all that I may have the priviledge of learning during this journey.

Anyways, thanks for your time and allowing me to introduce myself.

Scott Woolery
Central Missouri
1930 Model A Coupe