Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267392 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1215 on: March 18, 2010, 12:32:20 PM »
Howdy, and welcome, Frank.  I'll be the first one to ask you where you're located.  And if you've been lurking on the Forum you probably know many of the ways of the placer -- and of the yahoos that hang around here, too.

Jump right in -- fill out the "questionnaire" back at the registration page so we know how to find you and all that stuff.  Think about putting in your birthdate, too -- so everyone can have a chance to hassle you on the day (just like they did to me all day yesterday).

Good to have you here.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Baz

• New folks
« Reply #1216 on: March 18, 2010, 05:15:34 PM »
Baz, welcome to the LSR site. The first thing we need to know is where is the bike and equipment being shipped to. The 2nd will help you find a rental company or someone to help you get to the salt. Third do you have a place to stay. There are other questions that others will ask. We need as much info  from you so someone on this side of the pond can help you through this process.

Wendover does have some storage but very little in a shop. Ely is 125 miles south east and Salt Lake is about 110 mile east.

Hi Glen

Thanks for the response.

I am getting the bike shipped to Salt Lake City airport. I have got a pretty good price for staying at the Western Ridge in Wendover, where I have stayed before. Was hoping to hire a van from Salt Lake City. My girlfriend is coming over between BUB and World of Speed, we plan to drive to Vegas for a few days then. I was hoping to be able to return the van and store the bike somewhere for that period.

I have found pre-entry forms for Speedweek and World of Speed but I can't find any for BUB, do you know if they are available yet?

Thanks again

Baz

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1217 on: March 18, 2010, 07:52:27 PM »
If you're saying that you'd like to store the bike (I assume in a trailer) back in SLC -- we've done so a couple of times.  Once was at the house of a fellow racer -- so that won't work for you unless you know someone that'll let you do it.  The other time we stored the trailer and the truck, too, at Diamond Parking - right near the airport.  They've got some security and it's a big place -- with enough room to let you park your rig without worrying about it being crunched by cars parked right close by.  There are likely lots of other places, too -- but Diamond did work well for us -- and it wasn't all that expensive.

If you're interested in storing the stuff at Wendover, there's Hansen's Self Storage in West Wendover.  It's both traditional mini storage and open area for vehicles, and it's where many racers -- and the SCTA/BNI trailers and equipment get stored.  They'll work with you to charge you for the time you're there, not just by the calendar month.  And there's even a hose and water spigot on the property so you can rinse off some of the salt if you're so inclined.  Note that there are varying opinions on whether or not to wash off the salt without doing a super-duper job of it - so do what you think is best.  There are two self-service car washes located within a half-mile of Hansen's (which is on the southwest corner of West Wendover) so you can use them if you prefer the high pressure/pay a bunch of dollars method for hosing down the salt.  Hansen's Self Storage # is 775 664 4004 (I think).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1218 on: March 18, 2010, 08:47:47 PM »
Baz, the BUB entry has not been issued yet.  There is a BUB section on this forum and someone usually says when it is issued.  There are links to BUB on the landracing.com homepage, too. 

Offline geh458

« Reply #1219 on: March 21, 2010, 11:11:52 PM »
Greetings.  I'm contemplating a change in my racing hobby,thought this might be a good place to start my research on land speed racing.  Presently I race vintage Alfa Romeo's sports cars, with the current car being a '72 Giulia Super sedan.  It's setup for duel purpose Street/track duty, but I've got to much into the project to take it out wheel-to-wheel racing, so I limit my track time to time trials and HPDE events.

So, let me post my first question:  The only two clubs with a web presence close to me that I've been able to find are "Gear Grinders" & "Road Runners", these are both at least 2.5 hours away in the event of trying to attend a meeting.  I live in Ventura County, is there a club closer than Orange or Riverside counties?

Gifford Hawn

Vintage Sports Car Racer looking to convert.......

Offline desotoman

« Reply #1220 on: March 21, 2010, 11:24:54 PM »
Sidewinders meet at basically 101 & 405 Freeways. Gold Coast Roadster Club meets in Buellton.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline ludite13

• New folks
« Reply #1221 on: March 22, 2010, 07:02:26 AM »
Hello All!
  Yet another new guy here.  My name is James and I'm located in Asheville, NC.  I'm currently working on a rebuilt of a '72 Triumph street bike that I will run at Maxton in the pushrod production class.  It'll still be a street bike for the most part until I get some knowledge about things, then we'll see what evolves!  Hope to meet some of you in Maxton this April.  Unfortunately I won't have an entry, but will bring a few questions.  :-D

-James

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #1222 on: March 22, 2010, 09:52:43 AM »
James,

Welcome to the forum and to our addiction !!!

I am near Winston-Salem, NC

Hope to meet you at Maxton, stop by our pits and say hello.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Baz

• New folks
« Reply #1223 on: March 23, 2010, 04:20:10 PM »
Baz, the BUB entry has not been issued yet.  There is a BUB section on this forum and someone usually says when it is issued.  There are links to BUB on the landracing.com homepage, too. 

Ok thankyou, I will keep a look out for it

Baz

Offline Baz

• New folks
« Reply #1224 on: March 23, 2010, 04:26:46 PM »
If you're saying that you'd like to store the bike (I assume in a trailer) back in SLC -- we've done so a couple of times.  Once was at the house of a fellow racer -- so that won't work for you unless you know someone that'll let you do it.  The other time we stored the trailer and the truck, too, at Diamond Parking - right near the airport.  They've got some security and it's a big place -- with enough room to let you park your rig without worrying about it being crunched by cars parked right close by.  There are likely lots of other places, too -- but Diamond did work well for us -- and it wasn't all that expensive.

If you're interested in storing the stuff at Wendover, there's Hansen's Self Storage in West Wendover.  It's both traditional mini storage and open area for vehicles, and it's where many racers -- and the SCTA/BNI trailers and equipment get stored.  They'll work with you to charge you for the time you're there, not just by the calendar month.  And there's even a hose and water spigot on the property so you can rinse off some of the salt if you're so inclined.  Note that there are varying opinions on whether or not to wash off the salt without doing a super-duper job of it - so do what you think is best.  There are two self-service car washes located within a half-mile of Hansen's (which is on the southwest corner of West Wendover) so you can use them if you prefer the high pressure/pay a bunch of dollars method for hosing down the salt.  Hansen's Self Storage # is 775 664 4004 (I think).

Thanks Seldom Seen

Appreciate the help

Baz

Offline DallasV

« Reply #1225 on: March 23, 2010, 05:14:15 PM »
Hello everybody, my name is Barry{Baz), over here in the UK.
I take part in Landspeed events on runways over here. I have many 200mph+ timing slips riding my turbocharged Suzuki Hayabusa. I have visited the Salt Flats twice in the last 2 years. In 2008 I went to Speedweek and in 2009 I went to the BUB event. I plan to ship my bike over to the flats and ride in Speedweek, BUB and World of Speed this year. I have joined the BNI, AMA and the USFRA. I am looking for any help and advice, which anybody is willing to give me, as wel as offering my help to anybody.

The bike is stock bore 1300cc, JE turbo pistons, Carillo rods. More or less standard fairing. Garrett Turbocharger. Lowered Chassis, stock wheelbase, ceramic wheel bearings. Water/Methanol Injection.

I think my class at Speedweek would be 1350cc, Supercharged/Turbocharged, Partially Streamlined, Modified Chassis, Fuel Class. Is that correct?

Do the classes vary with each meetings?

Also looking for any advice on van hire, nearby workshop and storage facilities for between meetings.

Absolutely any advice, about anything which anybody can give me will be most welcome.

Looking forward to talking to you all and hopefully meeting some of you later in the year.

Thanks
Baz

Baz,
I live just a few miles north of SLC (10 minutes from SLC airport), if your having any issues when the time gets closer let me know, I'll help however I can, let me know if you have trouble finding storage we can figure something out. I think just renting a van or small box truck from U-Haul or Penske may be the easiest but you can explore more options. Like I said, When the time gets closer or you get stuck on something let me know.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline geh458

« Reply #1226 on: March 23, 2010, 06:34:29 PM »
Sidewinders meet at basically 101 & 405 Freeways. Gold Coast Roadster Club meets in Buellton.

Tom G.

Thanks Tom, I'll check them both out.  I can get to where the Sidewinder meet in about 45min if there's no traffic (in Los Angeles, what are the chance of that).

Gifford Hawn

Vintage Sports Car Racer looking to convert.......

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #1227 on: March 23, 2010, 09:09:34 PM »

Tom G.

Thanks Tom, I'll check them both out.  I can get to where the Sidewinder meet in about 45min if there's no traffic (in Los Angeles, what are the chance of that).

geh458,

The Sidewinders meet the first and third Tuesdays of each month.  Members start showing up around 6:30 PM to have a bite to eat  and shoot the bull before the meeting starts. The meeting usually ends between 9:00 and 9:30 PM.
Perspective members are always welcome. You can get the meeting address from the Sidewinder web-site.

Good Luck,

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline OUTLAW105W

• New folks
« Reply #1228 on: March 28, 2010, 10:41:20 AM »
hey guys and gals

im was brain storming or dreaming this morning about building a lsr vehicle or maybe even transforming my drag car into one ......

found this site and it is filled with tons of great info , im going to spend a couple of days just reading before i ask any questions

later Nick
www.429-460.com
"HOME OF THE FASTEST BIG BLOCKS"
www.429-460.com
"HOME OF THE FASTEST BIG BLOCKS"

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1229 on: March 28, 2010, 11:09:09 AM »
All right, ladies and gentlemen -- lets take a vote.  Is "Nick" a new recruit to land speed racing -- or a spambot hoping that we'll follow the link and buy the stuff listed for sale?  "Nick" doesn't give us any information about himself -- location, age, any of that -- just a few words about his brainstorm/dream -- and then a link to a site that may well be of interest to us -- or may not.

What shall we do?  Let it ride for a while -- or ask him to identify himself or go away?

Nick, I'm not trying to be inhospitable, but rather trying to limit the incursion of spambots and other unwanted "visitors" to our Forum.  We've been suffering quite a few of these "invaders" recently, so it's a fair question.  Please let us know more about you and your interests.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com